Leeds Blimp/Airship?

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
spongebob

Post by spongebob »

I remember when I was at school either Morley library or the school one having a display relating to the Hindenburg flying over Morley.More recently (mid 90's I think) I remember seeing an oddly shaped balloon flying over Morley that turned out to be the Lurpak butter man atop a pack of butter!!!

Si

Post by Si »

Speaking of Lurpak (tennuous link with Leeds!) anyone know what that picture on the wrapper represents? From memory, it looks like tube in a figure-of-eight with a sort of pierced disc on the end?    

Si

Post by Si »

I wonder if the story of Zeppelins performing recconaisance over Yorkshire during the inter-war years comes from the Graf Zeppelin's last mission? It was used for electronic surveillance of Britain's coastal radar in August 1939, just weeks before Germany's invasion of Poland, and the start of the Second World War.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Si wrote: Speaking of Lurpak (tennuous link with Leeds!) anyone know what that picture on the wrapper represents? From memory, it looks like tube in a figure-of-eight with a sort of pierced disc on the end?     It's a Lur (or two of them) reputed to be a medieval wind instrument used in war from Iceland to Latvia and all points in between.I remember it (them) on barrels of Lurpak butter in the mid 1950's when I used to weigh it out into half pound packs in my Uncle's shop.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Si

Post by Si »

Bramley4woods wrote: Si wrote: Speaking of Lurpak (tennuous link with Leeds!) anyone know what that picture on the wrapper represents? From memory, it looks like tube in a figure-of-eight with a sort of pierced disc on the end?     It's a Lur (or two of them) reputed to be a medieval wind instrument used in war from Iceland to Latvia and all points in between.I remember it (them) on barrels of Lurpak butter in the mid 1950's when I used to weigh it out into half pound packs in my Uncle's shop. Thanks, Bramley4woods! I've been wondering about that for over 3 years! I thought they were maybe some sort of contraption used in the making of butter.Pictured are the lurs in question (click on red X to view.) It's an old pack, so there's four of them.    
Attachments
__TFMF_ycpw0i55pwozpdzrzsdvtgyg_f991413b-d4d4-49df-9262-02c3d326b469_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ycpw0i55pwozpdzrzsdvtgyg_f991413b-d4d4-49df-9262-02c3d326b469_0_main.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 5362 times

Randomuser12

Re:

Post by Randomuser12 »

simonm wrote:simong wrote: Yes, I haven't found any pictures (and would love to see one) but the Hindenburg passed through Leeds in May 1938 en route from New York to Frankfurt and flew up the Aire valley at a low altitude. I can't find the quote now but I read an eyewitness account from someone from around Rawdon who said that the ship was below them in the valley at that point, which would have been something to see. The airship passed though again about a month later, which raised questions in Parliament as whether a foreign aircraft should be flying over the country like that.Of course it has since transpired that the ship was indeed carrying out reconnaissance. I remember training on one of those beauty's whilst doing my para training down and Brize. Worst jump you can do as a para as its all quiet and still, unlike from a moving plane. Horrible things, you drop like a stone for the 1st couple of hundred feet. Mind you, the kna**er cracker you go onto is by far the most painful jump you can ever do!!     
In 1938? Strange, considering the Hindenburg crashed in 1937.