Haunted places in Leeds

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
eddie666

Post by eddie666 »

I think I was told about the one near airdale high when i was quite young but i cant remember what the stories were. I'll try and do some digging in the Ponte & Cas website.With the old roman fort, the Skirmish at Ferrybridge (War of the roses) and battle of towton not very far away, im surprised there isnt more widely documented ghostly happenings around this area. Other than on this site, Mary Panel isnt mentioned much anywhere either. The history around here is in abundance and it seems to be forgotton somewhat.
Parrot with no beak, will always sucseed!!!!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I seem to remember last year going on a Heritage day trip around the Town Hall where we were told that a group of people were doing a sit-in in the old cells under the steps. Never heard more on this so wonder if it ever happened. I gues it was schedulded to take place in Feb 2008.

Exiled-Angel

Post by Exiled-Angel »

eddie666 wrote: I think I was told about the one near airdale high when i was quite young but i cant remember what the stories were. I'll try and do some digging in the Ponte & Cas website.With the old roman fort, the Skirmish at Ferrybridge (War of the roses) and battle of towton not very far away, im surprised there isnt more widely documented ghostly happenings around this area. Other than on this site, Mary Panel isnt mentioned much anywhere either. The history around here is in abundance and it seems to be forgotton somewhat. The one near airedale high is round the corner, it has some real bad poltergeists in apparently. They had to excorcise it 5 times, and still no luck. My mum used to have a friend who lived there. so that's why i knew about it. she never liked going there.

Exiled-Angel

Post by Exiled-Angel »

BarnsleyBoy wrote: There is a vid on the YEP at temple newsam. I've got to say, it's actually very good. Looks like they've filmed six of the most haunted buildings in Leeds. They're not all out yet but I've seen the town hall one and the temple newsam one and they're both fab - in a 'most haunted' kind of way. I think there's links on the main YEP site, but it's got its own website at www.hauntedleeds.co.uk I've seen it, and to be honest, it's a discgrace to ghost hunting itself.

petec

Post by petec »

It was Ruskin Drive in Airedale where the poltergeist was, dont know the number though!

olli77

Post by olli77 »

im not sure if this is the right place for this post as its not so much Haunted places in Leeds, but haunted people, a couple of years ago now i dated a girl from Portugal who was of west african desent, her flat mate was portuguese too whos family was originally from west africa, when we first started seeing each other her flatmate was back home visiting family, but she told me her flatmate could see spirits, i laughed about it and didnt give it a second thought, but then her flatmate returned from portugal. she was lovely a really sweet person who was completly grounded and normal, so when she freaked out it made it all the more spooky. there was no histirionics or melodrama every now and again she would go really quiet and nervous and just try to stare straight ahead, she wouldnt look either side and my grilfriend would talk to her in portuguese and then later i would ask what did you say to her and she would say that the spirts were there, she said the spirits must have been from all over the block and were aware of her so they came to her to comunicate, but i shouldnt worry because they dont even notice me or my girlfriend they act as if we were not there, but aparently English spirits or least the english spirits in that flat were nasty and agresive and she used to hate staying there but in her financal situation she couldnt really be choosy, but she spent a lot of time at her boyfriends or other freinds, she told me that she could see spirits because most women in her family always could, but back in Africa (her family was from Angola) the spirits are caring and protective, that they watch over you, but when she came to Leeds she found them angry and spiteful as she put it, now i know this is far fetched. but like i said she wasnt remotley flakey or loopy, she really hated that flat because of the spirits it was one of the block of flats oposite the Halifax building in Little london/sheepscar, she used to make fun of me saying that english people were lovely until they died and Africans are the oposite, Angola had just been through a really nasty civil war and she used to say that Angolan men were made horrible because of the war, but they found themselves again in death. one of the reasons i tended to believe her was my grandma always said that she had a little bit of witch in her from centurys ago one our ancestors back in irleand was a witch and the female side of the family still had traits of it, my gran been another completely grounded normal person, proper old yorkshire woman, with a firely irish temprement of course, but she inssited she had the ability to curse people and tell of the "karma" for use of a better word of people and places, she once cursed leeds rugby league team for a very complicated reason (not least of all she always supported bradford, i know i know, but she wouldnt tell me why she hated leeds rl, but supported leeds united, also she used to go and see Hunslet play, as that the local team really, as she lived in Middleton) and so leeds rl didnt win anything for a while and then when they did win something she renewed the curse and they went back to finnishing second every year, leeds rl or the rhinos as they are now can thank their lucky stars my gran started to get frail and the power of the curse wore off (the power of the witch that cursed leeds united must be beyond belief, but it wasnt my gran, she loved united, because as she put it, they were dirty, they used to kick teams off the field, my gran liked that) she also took one look at the house i moved into when i was a teenager with my mum and she said sorry but you'll never be happy here and she was right we moved after a coupler of yrs to a place she felt much nicer and she was right about that too, anyway enough ill stop short of a complete suernatural family history ill just leave by saying my mum has started to get spooky too, so the question is does witchcraft or madness run in my family.

eddie666

Post by eddie666 »

She didnt curse castleford tigers too did she, there doing rubbish lol
Parrot with no beak, will always sucseed!!!!

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Dang. So that's why Rhinos had that lean spell. But she loved LUFC? That would explain the bulging trophy cabinet then. :ironic: And to answer your question - probably madness. HTH.     

flamingo1

Post by flamingo1 »

hi i am from leeds and am interested in the Mary Panel story.What i heard - i was in castleford and after a nights drinking me and my friend were low on funds and because i said do u wanna walk home(garforth) instead of gettin a taxi, this was his response "no way mate, there is no way i am walking down mary panel at night" after enquiring as to what mary panel was, he told me of the road and that legend has it if you walk down the road at night and see a white rabbit - you DIE instantly...now i can imagine you are laughing at this as was at the time and telling him he was a moron and a fool.ends up we got a taxi home eventually and whilst talking to each other on the streets we saw someone we recognised from our old school - someone we were not friends with and never spoke to, but because we were drunk we got talkin about mary panel when asked our old school chum told me the exact same story - strangeso i was wondering if anyone had heard of this and maybe elaborate a bit further on the mary panel legend.seen as i am here writing this now i may as well tell you about some possible ghostly encounters i have had.the first i will tell you of happened recently - whenever i used to walk downstairs at night it would feel like there was a prescence in the doorway of the dining room and the first time it happened i thought it was my dad so i called out to him but nothing and it jumped towards me...but then sort of disappeared, i switched the light on straight away and the same thing happened again and agian for a number of weeks, i think it is possible this spirit was trying to frighten me (which if was the case - it bloody worked) but for the last week or so there has been nothing there.Over the same period i have seen a more infrequent shape at the top of the stairs which when i first saw it i thought it was a family member - but once again no - it appeared to walk from my parents bedroom and toward the bathroom before dissapearing.The last possible encounter was definately the most frightening for me, though it occured in tenerife - but i think you will still be interested.Me and 1 of my mates were stayin in a hotel apartment and he claimed to see a few strange things during the first few nights but i took no notice(as to be honest he is an idiot - hehe)one day i had not really done anything as i was feeling ill but that night was terrifying for me as i was left alone trying to get to sleep as my friend had gone out, i thought my eyes were playin tricks but i kept seeing the same bald headed man as clear as day in the room (now i couldnt see him when i had my eyes shut) but he kept comin right up to my face and laughing - but not in a jovial way but a more menacing demeanor. after possibly an hour of this i left the room petrified searxhing for anyone in the complex i knew - i went to another room and had half a can of lager (still ill so couldnt manage a whole one). went back to my room about 2 hours later to find my friend still out but this spirit still there i couldnt help but keep my eyes open despite how frightened i was. The Spirit may still be in tenerife but that demonic laughter will haunt me forever!!!!please see my above question and feel free to ask me anythingPeace Out Guys and Gals

Ferrari toucher

Post by Ferrari toucher »

I'm not too sure if this is true but there's a stretch of road between Castleford and Allerton Bywater known as Mary Panel road. Basically there was a woman who was accused of being a witch a long time ago and was forced into a barrel and rolled down from Ledston to the woods at the side of this road. She was then tied to a tree and kids poked her with sticks and threw rocks at her. Then she was hung from a tree. Loads of people have said that when you drive down this stretch of road on a night it seems like someone has jumped infront of your car and so when you stop and look out of the rear window to see if there's anyone on the road, she's sat in the back seat staring at you.
:o)