Street names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Trojan wrote: Leeds-lad wrote: Hi Blakey.You won't believe this but I just posted About Lamb Hill on the Lost Loos thread.Believe it or not I posted that before I looked at this thread. Uncanny or what? UnCANNY! Loos - geddit I'll get me coat. Lost me ther Trojan?
"always expect the unexpected"

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

TomD wrote: one that has always interested me is "Coal Road"It starts in Wike (i think!) just at the bottom of "Forge Lane", then becomes "Bay Horse Lane".After it crossed the A58 Wetherby Road it becomes Coal Road again, running through Whinmoor where it just stops abruptly at the A64 York Road and Seacroft Tesco roundabout.is it just a name or does anybody know anything interesting about it? the oldest map i can find is on that ponies website http://www.ponies.me.uk/maps/osmap.html, and i dont think it is old enough to show anything really cool Just to add to Chameleons usual interesting post, The coal road was used to deliver coals from the seacroft and manston pits to Wetherby, Spofforth etc. It cut across to the Leeds-Wetherby road as it does now.There are other coal roads. The road to Sturtion Grange Farm in Garforth was originally a Coal Road delivering coal from Sturton Colliery to Garforth.Coal raods to a certain extent pre-date railways what came in as a more cost effective way of delivering bulk coal.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Troll wrote: Hi, I always wondered about the Boggart Hills off Easterly Rd/ Wetherby Rd. Now I know that a "boggart" is a spirit (household spirit at that) I have to wonder even more at the naming of the streets!Some more info on WIKIPEDIA.Troll. The Gate pub had the legend of the Boggart although it was probably embellished.The Rein is a name for an area of wet ground in which a stream begins. That's behind the street and the stream comes out at the bottom of the street.The word "Rein" appears in old dictionaries but not the oxford english.

Loiner Paul

Post by Loiner Paul »

Does anyone know why in Leeds whole areas of housing have the same prefix in street names?Examples; Bayswater Road, Bayswater Street, Bayswater Row, etc. at Harehills.Recreation Place, Recreation Street, Recreation Terrace, etc. in Holbeck. It doesn't just seem to be restricted to the old back to backs, as housing estates across the city are similar, such as;Ramshead Drive, Ramshead Hill, Ramshead Crescent, etc at Seacroft.Whincover Drive, Whincover Bank, Whincover Road, etc. at Farnley.Seems like it is something that is quite peculiar to Leeds.Can't imagine the city council couldn't think of a variety of street names?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Loiner Paul wrote: Does anyone know why in Leeds whole areas of housing have the same prefix in street names?Examples; Bayswater Road, Bayswater Street, Bayswater Row, etc. at Harehills.Recreation Place, Recreation Street, Recreation Terrace, etc. in Holbeck. It doesn't just seem to be restricted to the old back to backs, as housing estates across the city are similar, such as;Ramshead Drive, Ramshead Hill, Ramshead Crescent, etc at Seacroft.Whincover Drive, Whincover Bank, Whincover Road, etc. at Farnley.Seems like it is something that is quite peculiar to Leeds.Can't imagine the city council couldn't think of a variety of street names? The 'Recreation's in Holbeck are so named because they were built on Holbeck Recreation Ground - a Cricket and Rugby Ground used by Holbeck Cricket Club.http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive ... 1/530.html
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Leeds-lad wrote: Trojan wrote: Leeds-lad wrote: Hi Blakey.You won't believe this but I just posted About Lamb Hill on the Lost Loos thread.Believe it or not I posted that before I looked at this thread. Uncanny or what? UnCANNY! Loos - geddit I'll get me coat. Lost me ther Trojan? -An American slang word for a toilet is "the can"
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Leeds-lad wrote: Trojan wrote: Leeds-lad wrote: Hi Blakey.You won't believe this but I just posted About Lamb Hill on the Lost Loos thread.Believe it or not I posted that before I looked at this thread. Uncanny or what? UnCANNY! Loos - geddit I'll get me coat. Lost me ther Trojan? Sorry -it's not very funny. unCANny American name for a loo is CAN. Oh dear.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

drapesy wrote: Loiner Paul wrote: Does anyone know why in Leeds whole areas of housing have the same prefix in street names? The 'Recreation's in Holbeck are so named because they were built on Holbeck Recreation Ground - a Cricket and Rugby Ground used by Holbeck Cricket Club.http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive ... 1/530.html If I remember correctly Holbeck Feast was held on the recreation ground at Holbeck.I'm not sure that naming streets all the same is any worse than naming them after a particular subject. In Morley we have the bird estate (behind the Gardeners Arms) and the painters estate at Westerton.There used to be an area of streets in Morley called "The City" which consisted of parallel streets of back to backs, and the first street was Appleby Street, followed by more streets in alphabetical order, some that spring to mind are Hull Street, Filey Street, and Dover Street. They are long gone.
Industria Omnia Vincit

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Trojan wrote: drapesy wrote: Loiner Paul wrote: Does anyone know why in Leeds whole areas of housing have the same prefix in street names? The 'Recreation's in Holbeck are so named because they were built on Holbeck Recreation Ground - a Cricket and Rugby Ground used by Holbeck Cricket Club.http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive ... 1/530.html If I remember correctly Holbeck Feast was held on the recreation ground at Holbeck.I'm not sure that naming streets all the same is any worse than naming them after a particular subject. In Morley we have the bird estate (behind the Gardeners Arms) and the painters estate at Westerton.There used to be an area of streets in Morley called "The City" which consisted of parallel streets of back to backs, and the first street was Appleby Street, followed by more streets in alphabetical order, some that spring to mind are Hull Street, Filey Street, and Dover Street. They are long gone. You must have a heck of a memory Trojan - The Recreation ground at Holbeck was built over in the 1890's.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

drapesy wrote: Trojan wrote: drapesy wrote: Loiner Paul wrote: Does anyone know why in Leeds whole areas of housing have the same prefix in street names? The 'Recreation's in Holbeck are so named because they were built on Holbeck Recreation Ground - a Cricket and Rugby Ground used by Holbeck Cricket Club.http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive ... 1/530.html If I remember correctly Holbeck Feast was held on the recreation ground at Holbeck.I'm not sure that naming streets all the same is any worse than naming them after a particular subject. In Morley we have the bird estate (behind the Gardeners Arms) and the painters estate at Westerton.There used to be an area of streets in Morley called "The City" which consisted of parallel streets of back to backs, and the first street was Appleby Street, followed by more streets in alphabetical order, some that spring to mind are Hull Street, Filey Street, and Dover Street. They are long gone. You must have a heck of a memory Trojan - The Recreation ground at Holbeck was built over in the 1890's. WEll I could be wrong of course I only went to it once but I seem to remember my dad saying it was on the recreation ground.
Industria Omnia Vincit