Real Ale lovers take note!!

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

anyone rember owd rodger a leathal pint it was with a gravety of 10/80, I used to drink it in the duck and drake an fall over quite a bit lol brill stuff.also i like tetleys imperial but not many pubs sell it and the last place i had it was the fox and newtall the bestPB

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Paul B wrote: anyone rember owd rodger a leathal pint it was with a gravety of 10/80, I used to drink it in the duck and drake an fall over quite a bit lol brill stuff.also i like tetleys imperial but not many pubs sell it and the last place i had it was the fox and newtall the bestPB Yes to both.Saw Imperial advertised in Whitby last week.You can buy Owd Roger in bottles,doesnt taste as good though.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Glenny3363

Post by Glenny3363 »

I remember Owd Roger!In my youth, me and a friend took it upon ourselves to try drink a pint from every pump, from one end to the other, in one 'sitting' in a pub called The Blue Pig in Fagley (a fair few pumps in those days!!!).We were doing quite well, but when we got to the Owd Roger, the landlord would only give us a half! said it was too strong!!!He must have been right as neither of us, to this day, can remember if we got to the other end of the bar!!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Glenny3363 wrote: I remember Owd Roger!In my youth, me and a friend took it upon ourselves to try drink a pint from every pump, from one end to the other, in one 'sitting' in a pub called The Blue Pig in Fagley (a fair few pumps in those days!!!).We were doing quite well, but when we got to the Owd Roger, the landlord would only give us a half! said it was too strong!!!He must have been right as neither of us, to this day, can remember if we got to the other end of the bar!!! Yes it has that effect on you lol and i remember the blue pig my dad used to go in there as we only lived over in pudsey.also hi cnosniwere can you buy Owd Roger in bottles ?    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Paul B wrote: Glenny3363 wrote: I remember Owd Roger!In my youth, me and a friend took it upon ourselves to try drink a pint from every pump, from one end to the other, in one 'sitting' in a pub called The Blue Pig in Fagley (a fair few pumps in those days!!!).We were doing quite well, but when we got to the Owd Roger, the landlord would only give us a half! said it was too strong!!!He must have been right as neither of us, to this day, can remember if we got to the other end of the bar!!! Yes it has that effect on you lol and i remember the blue pig my dad used to go in there as we only lived over in pudsey.also hi cnosniwere can you buy Owd Roger in bottles ?     I got mine at Beeritz in the market square in Knaresborough,though i think theres one in Leeds,in Headingley,got Sammy Smiths in bottles too
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

cnosni wrote: Paul B wrote: anyone rember owd rodger a leathal pint it was with a gravety of 10/80, I used to drink it in the duck and drake an fall over quite a bit lol brill stuff.also i like tetleys imperial but not many pubs sell it and the last place i had it was the fox and newtall the bestPB Yes to both.Saw Imperial advertised in Whitby last week.You can buy Owd Roger in bottles,doesnt taste as good though. I must admit I thought Tetleys Imperial was sort of exclusive to the North East of the county originally to compete with Camerons Strongarm - strong ale for steelworkers etc.It must be 25 years since I last had any and that was in Whitby.I've seen Owd Rodger in Beer Ritz though.    
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Had Imperial in leeds,but about fifteen years ago.Its certainly a beer to compete with Camerons et al, but had a beautiful pint of Camerons Ruby in Grosmont last week,so some serious competition still going on.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

cnosni wrote: Had Imperial in leeds,but about fifteen years ago.Its certainly a beer to compete with Camerons et al, but had a beautiful pint of Camerons Ruby in Grosmont last week,so some serious competition still going on. I was in Cornwall last week drinking "Betty Stoggs" pretty good too - I hestitate to say it but I reckon it gives Landlord a run for its money.
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Trojan wrote: cnosni wrote: Had Imperial in leeds,but about fifteen years ago.Its certainly a beer to compete with Camerons et al, but had a beautiful pint of Camerons Ruby in Grosmont last week,so some serious competition still going on. I was in Cornwall last week drinking "Betty Stoggs" pretty good too - I hestitate to say it but I reckon it gives Landlord a run for its money. Must be good then,quite partial to that one myself.Perhaps we should all put up a list of our 5 favourites,a sort of Top of the "Pops"(nudge nudge)Ill give it some thought,needless to say Si's #1 will be Tetleys.I wonder what Steve Jones' will be then,perhaps Pendle Witch!!

Si

Post by Si »

1. 1970's Tetley Mild (not what it was IMHO)2. Timothy Taylor's Landlord3. Black Sheep Riggwelter4. Leffe Blond5. Czech Budweiser (Budvar)That's today's list, though it is a movable feast!(There's even a lager in there!)