Street names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
weenie

Post by weenie »

carrotol wrote: On Tong Road, near the reservoir, there's Pipe and Nook Lane. Any ideas on this one? my grandad had a book called Wortley de Leeds and in there it said Pipe and Nook lane got its name from a murder that took place using a pipe and a nook as the murder weapon. this use to intrigue me too that name until i read that book.    

weenie

Post by weenie »

Does any one remember Lamb hill in Armley? me mam says she used to live there wi me sisters before i was born nr Ledgard Way.

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Weenie,I have vague recollections of that junction before Armley lights were widened. In the 60s, there was a small toy shop there where I bought my Airfix kits! I didn't know it was called Lamb Hill, though. I've looked it up on Godfrey's 1908 OS map of the area, and it's where the top of Ledgard Way is now. It was a very short street, and headed towards the end of Salisbury Road. The Armley Brewery was near there (and, of course, the asbestos works on Canal Road.)Hope that helps.Regards,Si.

Si

Post by Si »

Just checked Leodis, Weenie. There are 3 pics of the old tram waiting room on the corner of Lamb Hill and Stanningley Road. There are some houses in the background.Google Leodis, and then type Lamb Hill in the search box.

weenie

Post by weenie »

thanks Si. you see i looked on leodis but that just said mikes carpet area, but me mam alsways stated Ledgard way. i now know what she means. cheers hun

weenie

Post by weenie »

sorry didnt see your last post, yeah me mam looked at them pics before on there and said thats were mikes carpets was going up towards hsbc area on those photo's but many thanks again

Si

Post by Si »

Yeah, it was definately where the top of Ledgard Way is. They must have filled the land there when it was built, as the road is much steeper in the old pics than it is now.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

weenie wrote: Does any one remember Lamb hill in Armley? me mam says she used to live there wi me sisters before i was born nr Ledgard Way. ...and what about Crab Lane in Armley too.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

weenie

Post by weenie »

crab lane is still there its the road going down town street to stanningley road

weenie

Post by weenie »

sorry my aoplogies its the street coming up from stanningley road to town street between malt shovel and HSBC