Wallace Arnold

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
liits

Post by liits »

Oh dear, the Calls!Always redolent for me of trips to Brid or Scarborough on bank holidays! My mother would always arrange for us, my aunt and amy grandmother to meet at the Calls to go to one or other of the above. The things that are reminded to me are 1, my brother and I being force fed “Sea Legs” or “Quells”, the both of us being prone to travel sickness. My brother being guaranteed to be sick before we had gotten past the Parish Church, the faux raspberry taste of the tablets being a dead cert to make us puke [this is probably why she sent us to a school which required an hours bus trip around the ring road] 2, my grandmother & aunt not turning up because “granny” had seen the weather forcast and had not wanted to sit on the sands getting wet in the guaranteed rain.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

The Hopgrovehttp://tinyurl.com/3o9o9r

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

[quotenick="cnosni"] Geordie-exile wrote: Where was the Hop Grove Geordie? The Hop Grove is still there I think. If when you come to the end of the York by-pass, instead of turning right for the coast you turn left and head back towards York, the Hop Grove is on the left. The Four Alls is still there up the road towards Malton, but as I said in my earlier post the Hazelbush was the place just before the Four Alls, it had a self service cafe where you got a tray and picked what you wanted - tea, pop crisps buns etc, and then paid at the till. It had toilets with turnstiles and they cost 1d. I'd guess it's been closed less than ten years.    
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

liits wrote: Oh dear, the Calls!Always redolent for me of trips to Brid or Scarborough on bank holidays! My mother would always arrange for us, my aunt and amy grandmother to meet at the Calls to go to one or other of the above. The things that are reminded to me are 1, my brother and I being force fed “Sea Legs” or “Quells”, the both of us being prone to travel sickness. My brother being guaranteed to be sick before we had gotten past the Parish Church, the faux raspberry taste of the tablets being a dead cert to make us puke [this is probably why she sent us to a school which required an hours bus trip around the ring road] 2, my grandmother & aunt not turning up because “granny” had seen the weather forcast and had not wanted to sit on the sands getting wet in the guaranteed rain. I remember Wallace Arnold's waiting room in the Calls, it had coach seats in it! When I was a kid, Wallace Arnolds used to run trips to see Forge Valley, Oliver's Mount etc, from the pier at Scarborough. They used the Bedford bullnosed coaches, they only held about 30 people I think.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I went down to the Gelderd road coach station nice and early to beat the Pikies this morning. There's very little left of the place still standing. At least I've got a few snaps to record a piece of Leeds past history. You might have a shock how your old place of work looks SLW and Reggie. http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn ... 30/detail/
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

slw

Post by slw »

Great pic's Phil. It's certainly changed since I worked there !!!! I have not been past the site for ages, I assume the office block coming up the drive and the offices above the garage are completely trashed as well.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

The whole place resembles a war zone. It's been devastated. Brand new offices that will need knocking down.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Great pics Phill and a sad end to what was a legendary Leeds company.I used to work next door at Trust Motors (who were owned by the same firm) so we used to have a lot of dealings with the lads at Wally's Trolleys. I can't believe that whole site hasn't been redeveloped as it must be one of the best building sites left in Leeds as it is at the corner of Gelderd Road and the Ring Road.Last time I passed the whole showroom area was in a right state.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

slw

Post by slw »

I agree Raveydavey. WA moved from the site around 1999. I thought who ever owned the land would have developed it or sold it in the time it's been empty.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

slw wrote: I agree Raveydavey. WA moved from the site around 1999. I thought who ever owned the land would have developed it or sold it in the time it's been empty. So between 1999 and the merger with Shearings where did their buses arrive and depart?
Industria Omnia Vincit