Bunkers

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Phill_d wrote: How many people having a kick about on the Chappel A recreation ground know there stood on top of a 100 yard long WWII air raid shelter? I'd like to think there were some old relics hid down there. Gas masks & a 'Careless talk costs lifes' perhaps!!! This was in the YEP when they were digging up for the new play area. Very interesting. Used to live nearby.
Simon -H-

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Can you dig a copy of the article out Simon?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

The beautiful island wrote: There was an air raid shelter in the gardens of the vicarage of St Mary's church, Town Street, Middleton. It was directly in front of the house that was next to the church.As kids we would venture half way down before chickening out and turning back. Not sure if it's still able to be accessed as it's a while since I've been up that way. Anyone know anything about it?? i found a piece in the evening post about Allerton high. Some debate when it was built e.t.c. There was observation towers as well Floodland & the original school was on the corner if you look here http://www.leedstoday.net/ViewArticle.a ... eID=864942
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

Now is the time to see if any of the Allerton High bunker is still remaining. I passed the school at the weekend and they've begun to dig the whole of the field up just next to where the bunker is / was. I presume this is for the foundations for a new building, so it looks like they'll be going fairly deep.It's fenced off but not very well - just the usual mesh stuff that most building sites have, so you can see the site really clearly.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Good!! Keep your eyes peeled Ro-man

Basher

Post by Basher »

Word to Phil D...Send Basher in!! Sounds like some interesting info on here.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I think this ones gone-but we need to get our heads together Basher over your latest find!

rochewin

Post by rochewin »

exiled in essex wrote: I'm suprised no one's mentioned this, as it was close to the bunker between Scholes and Barwick which is still there. In Scholes, there's a dirt track called Bog Lane. This can be found almost directly opposite the Coronation Tree, which is situated in a triangle on Leeds road, where you can either turn off into Scholes or continue to Barwick. If you explored a bit just off Bog Lane, there was a collapsed bunker of some description. It wasn't a deep structure, situated just under the surface of the ground, and it was still there in 1996, this being the last time I saw it. I've scoured google earth to see if it's still there, but sadly it appears to have gone. I also remember some mysterious derelict buildings in some sort of yard just off to the left of Bog Lane, not far from it's junction with Leeds Road, Scholes. All of this now appears to have disappeared as well. Could this area's proximity to Barnbow have anything to do with installations I wonder?Interesting site by the way, I wish my parents had a PC as they'd be able to contribute all sorts, especially about the railways. Hi Exile in EssexI think the old buildings you refer to left of Bog Lane may be the old sewage works, built early 60s now no longer there. Bog Lane was an old childhood haunt of mine and my friends. Barnbow was at the end of the lane a mile or so.Rochewin
lwinson

Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

Phill D - do you use the Defence of Britain website to find some of these locations that the Leeds Gentlemen's Exploratory Society visit?The reason I ask is that I came across this and wondered if you'd ever been?DescriptionCondition: Fair LocationLeeds; EnglandGrid ref. OSGB - SE 29500 43356Grid ref. LL - 001 33 04 W 53 53 07 NSubject typeAir Raid ShelterPeriodWorld War IIFrom the look of the map it's in the triangle between Harewood, Arthington and Eccup, in a field in the middle of nowhere. It's close enough to Golden Acre Park to possibly have some connections?If anyone wants the full record for this go to http://www.britarch.ac.uk/projects/dob/index.htmland type Leeds in the search box. It's the first or second air raid shelter record on the list.

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

rochewin wrote: exiled in essex wrote: I'm suprised no one's mentioned this, as it was close to the bunker between Scholes and Barwick which is still there. In Scholes, there's a dirt track called Bog Lane. This can be found almost directly opposite the Coronation Tree, which is situated in a triangle on Leeds road, where you can either turn off into Scholes or continue to Barwick. If you explored a bit just off Bog Lane, there was a collapsed bunker of some description. It wasn't a deep structure, situated just under the surface of the ground, and it was still there in 1996, this being the last time I saw it. I've scoured google earth to see if it's still there, but sadly it appears to have gone. I also remember some mysterious derelict buildings in some sort of yard just off to the left of Bog Lane, not far from it's junction with Leeds Road, Scholes. All of this now appears to have disappeared as well. Could this area's proximity to Barnbow have anything to do with installations I wonder?Interesting site by the way, I wish my parents had a PC as they'd be able to contribute all sorts, especially about the railways. Hi Exile in EssexI think the old buildings you refer to left of Bog Lane may be the old sewage works, built early 60s now no longer there. Bog Lane was an old childhood haunt of mine and my friends. Barnbow was at the end of the lane a mile or so.Rochewin Interesting - I live just round the corner from Bog Lane, have been down on my bike a few times seeing where I got to (Garforth golf club most times!) - next time I'm down there I'll have a proper look around and see if I can find any remains of what you've described. If I can, I'll put some photos up