POW Camps in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Nay Munki lad!You still haven't reinstated my Woolley's Brickworks/German POW workers post on here yet!!! It fitted in thethread and was replied to also.If you've stuck it back under another heading,please let me know!CheersArry

gjm

Re: POW Camps in Leeds

Post by gjm »

Hi I was told the main Italian P.O.W camp was post Hill When they came to Leeds There wasn't enough room for all of them and some including my father were sent to Middleton Park i was told my father was in the house but there were also many huts. my Father had spent time in London and Liverpool before coming to Leeds. The men had to go to Post Hill for processing and any official checks. My father was working in the south Leeds area mostly putting coal in sacks and trucks at Robin hood. He wasn't allowed to go home until January 1947 He returned January 1948 and married my mum a Middleton Lass. They were not allowed out of the camp until after V.E day. I have only seen a mention of Post Hill camp in the Leeds Museum nothing of any others. My name is Gloria

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Welcome to Secret Leeds, Gloria. I hope that you will enjoy our quirky site.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

There was Middleton Hall in Middleton Woods next to St Marys church which housed POW's during the war. The Hall is no longer there, however the Gatehouse still stands. The Hall was on the left hand side of the Church on Town Street, and was near where the flats are now.

This also may be of help and interest to you

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 8860071656

:arrow:
Attachments
Middleton Hall.JPG
Middleton Hall.JPG (71.41 KiB) Viewed 8390 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Wiljoy

Post by Wiljoy »

My wife who is from Pudsey tells me that the Italian prisoners of war who were stationed at Post Hill couldbe seen walking around Pudsey quite often during the day.
Australians all let us rejoice fr we are 1-2-3 :D

vbporscha

Post by vbporscha »

I live near Post Hill and would love to know more about. Seems strange to me that there's so little information about the camp.

Rover

Post by Rover »

I lived in Armley 33-57. I well recall the POW camp in Farnley. The Italian P.O Ws had a diiferent color patch on their clothes than the Germans. It seems to me that many of them enjoyed a lot of freedom. I saw them in the Lyric more than once. As kids we just ignored them.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

The POW used to farm on the West park Fields which is next to West Park School (now demolished) at the top of butcher hill.
Come on Leeds United!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I found this list of POW camps which can be filtered and thought it was interesting, however it only shows Butcher Hill and Post Hill Camps for Leeds.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/Dat ... #rows:id=1
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

vidlam

Post by vidlam »

I remember climbing over a fence from Beulah Woods to explore the foundations of the remains of the P O W camp at Post Hill in the late 50's with some mates. I also recall in the 60's talking to a workmate who remembered the Italian pow's shopping on Bramley Town Street. They walked freely but had to wear coats with a yellow circle on the back signifying their status.