Town pubs of the late 70's/early 80's

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
LS13

Post by LS13 »

Anyone remember/have tales of...Chaplins,Merrion Centre-THE under age drinker pub of the early 80'sSunset and Vine-haunt of footballers when they werent millionairresPrecinct,Market tavern, Yates wine lodge (downstairs version)- 'tasty' boozers, don't stare at anyone!Smith and Nelson-still there different name.Jubilee-now a lap dance pubOscars--was also called Hogs Head?The Bond-one of the first bars, along with the BankOstlers-next to old HMVHollywood Days Hollywood Nights- one of first gay bars beyond New Penny areaPanama Joes-old HofbrauhausNautical wheel-strangest shaped pub in town, still there i believe?Lichfields- downstairs opposite town hall, used to be Greek restaurant?City Arms-the station pubStumps-still there ,different name and well used in summer but not the sameJacomellis-Bernie inn and good bar on three floors, popular with football lads.Marquis of Granby- Eastgate roundabout near HoagysSeems strange now that theres a bar on every corner but 25 years ago there wasnt much choice beyond the above. Or am I missing some?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Missing some?? crikey! off the top off my head you can add this lot to the drinking holes in the town centre 25 years ago;The WrensHorse and Trumpet (nag and Fart)Guildford (now oxygen?)ViaductWhitelocksPack HorseShipWhip(Gone)3 LegsVine( boarded up at present?)Nags Head(gone)Duchess of York (prev.Robin Hood) (gone)DuncanStar and Garter (gone)Peel (gone)Cobourg (now tapas bar)Pig and Whistle(gone)VictoriaTown Hall TavernWhite Swan(Mucky Duck) (gone)AdmiralDuck and drakeScotsman (gone)RegentRoyal OakGeneral elliotAdelphiScarbrough tapsPrince of walesGriffin'Q' (used to be called something else?)West Riding (now some sort of wine bar?)Central Station (now the Wellington (?))and I'm sure there are others...The Precinct used to be called the Golden Cock by the way.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

LS13

Post by LS13 »

Know /knew most of them can't think where Star and Garter and Admiral were though? Also , is Horse and Trumpet gone? can't picture whats there now..?

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

In the 70`s we used to start off in the gemini, downstairs by the ABC, then around to the 3 legs, the vine and the horse and trumpet, and then we would go into what we thought was the hub of anyones night out in town, THE PICCADILLY BAR. it was under the city varieties, everyones route seemed to cross over there, i worked there for a short time in 1977 as a glass collecter. I had a spell 2 years ago of going drinking around town, blimey!!! so many bars now!!!...I used to frequent the precinct a lot after it changed from the golden cock....now then....does anyone remember the snake pit?????

AliceCake

Post by AliceCake »

There was a pub downstairs, opposite where the Mixing Tin is now (used to be Oscars) at the bottom of Albion Street. I think it was called the Globe or something with a big circular bar. The doorway seems to have disappeared now - spooky or something... I bet ya it's all still there... x

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

That was The Bond but I don' remember a circular bar. HarlequinsO'Leary'sObservatory (now Flares)Ostlers (like an air raid shelter)Maddisons nightclub.Len's BarDixiesParker's Wine Bar
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

The Star and Garter was on the corner of Duncan Street and the Calls - I think its now an "amusement " arcade". The Admiral was a modern building on the other side of Duncan Street from the Duncan. The Horse and Trumpet is still there.Also I forgot the Swan/Barneys near City Varieties and the Templar on Vicar Lane.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

The beautiful island

Post by The beautiful island »

What about Stallones Junior Disco (Now Darbar Indian restaurant)Martines - Down the side of the Corn Exchange with the bouncer that looked like Mr TAdam & Eves - Now the Hi Fi clubThe Box OfficeThe original TC'S - Underneath the tapanyaki restaurant near the Merrion centreColours nightclub, under the old observatory near the stationWhat was the snooker centre called up the stairs near the market that got burned down??And can anyone remember the cafe run by the old Italian couple (I think) that was on Leeds Bridge around where Howards barbers is now. It used to get quite a few mods in and had a pool table and the Phoenix aracde game in the back. Can't remember what it was called.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I keep remembering places.. The George on George Street..The Bridge and the Red Lion near the AdelphiThe brilliant City of Mabgate (now shamefully closed) - but is this really city centre?Hoagy's used to be called the Tam O'Shanter when I drank there.. It was originally the Yorkshire Hussar. Sunset and Vine was opened as "Brahms and Liszt" believe it or not.I think the Observatory used to be called 'Amnesia', I forget when...

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

We all miss the old pubs eh? I kick myself at the places i never caught on camera that i used to use. Thats why it's important to spot whats in danger of vanishing today. Not very inspiring places these days are little gems to people in 20yrs time when they've gone for good Leak street, Quarry hill e.t.c. I've a small section of Leeds pubs stuff here http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn ... 013837107/ I'll post a few to secret Leeds as well
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/