What & Where? Birthday Special

How well do you know Leeds?
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Well i'm still going for the same place. I'm sure i've seen the same picture or early photograph just as city square was been built with those chimneys there. I have another picture here dated 1955 i('ll scan later) showing the same fall in the pavement as the picture illustrated..        
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Phill_d wrote: Well i'm still going for the same place. I'm sure i've seen the same picture or early photograph just as city square was been built with those chimneys there. I have another picture here dated 1955 i('ll scan later) showing the same fall in the pavement in as the picture illustrated..     I must have posted the same time as you Wiggy. Well we'll soon find out no doubt
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

tyke bhoy wrote: Bramley4woods wrote: munki wrote: What building is this, & where is it? Note to the wise ...The image you get from "behind"by double clicking on the picture is much larger and higher resolution.No dead give-aways on it all the same.Was it by any chance an unsucccessful entry into the competition for the desgn of the Leeds Municipal Buidings of 1874 ? I knew that trick but hadn't thought of using it on this. Now I have it looks like a peeler at the top of the steps. He wouldn't have walked there passing by so it suggests he is either exiting or guarding. Still not much more help though especially if it turns out to be a herring of the red variety the building does look regency(1811-1820)so if the engraving was made when the building was new,that would make the guy on the steps a bow street runner,as peelers came along in 1829...yes yes yes,i'm perdantic,i know!!!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

But before the old NU building I thouth the old Courthouse which was later the post office building was there.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

So maybe Phill is suggesting it was that court house/post office building. It might explain a guard on the door.However I disagree that the road levels could really have changed so much. The levels are surely indicative of the existing contours of the landscape and unless there was major excavations then I would say Infirmary Street has always been prettly much flat and Park Row has always run up hill to the Headrow.I await Phill's scanned picture with interest.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jf

Post by jf »

I think it is the original queens, perhaps an architect's illustration (the final building undergoing some changes). The topography fits with the slope down to the left - perhaps the new Queens was set back or the road narrowed to create the current station access.If it isn't that, the topography suggests a couple of other possible sites - perhaps Cookridge Street where the Colliseum now stands, or anywhere parallel (Infirmary St, or where the old school now stands). Could also be near to the Grand Theatre on upper Briggate with road dropping to the left towards Vicar Lane.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I keep forgetting to mention that many of the architectural features so prominent on the clean drawing will have been hidden by around a century of Industrial Grime at the height of its production
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

LS1

Post by LS1 »

tyke bhoy wrote: So maybe Phill is suggesting it was that court house/post office building. It might explain a guard on the door.However I disagree that the road levels could really have changed so much. The levels are surely indicative of the existing contours of the landscape and unless there was major excavations then I would say Infirmary Street has always been prettly much flat and Park Row has always run up hill to the Headrow.I await Phill's scanned picture with interest. The courthouse looked totally different to this building. which was knocked down for Standard Life Assurance building. See the attached. Park Row is the street on the right of the courthouse. Cloth Hall is on the left.    
Attachments
__TFMF_mhl4wmzwmbyboardrb0tlsr1_79c56fa7-5327-4e41-bd60-33e3c2c7708f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_mhl4wmzwmbyboardrb0tlsr1_79c56fa7-5327-4e41-bd60-33e3c2c7708f_0_main.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 1663 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

That suggests that the course of one or both but probably Infirmary Street have changed as the angle is not as tight today.

munki

Post by munki »

People are straying CLOSE TO the truth, here (particularly the first bit of the last comment by jf), but not quite thinking laterally enough to get it!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.