What & Where? #08

How well do you know Leeds?
munki

Post by munki »

Another external entry. Keep them coming in!What & where is this architectural feature of Leeds, up close and out of context?If you would like to submit a picture to the competition, please email it to me at munki72@gmail.com & I will post it up to the competition site once the previous one has been guessed.
Attachments
030.jpg
030.jpg (34.64 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Michael

Post by Michael »

I don't know who he is but I know he's 'armless!!

Michael

Post by Michael »

I do hope that the regular players have not taken their bat and ball home because this one looks a little difficult.Please forgive my earlier frivolous comment, it was my first reaction and judging by the vigorous reaction to previous What and Where, I didn't think it would have such an adverse effect on the replies.However, in an effort to set the ball rolling again, I have a suspicion that this is one of Groucho's younger brothers, Karl. I cannot suppress the niggling feeling that Mr Marx had some connection with Leeds but I haven't a clue as to where this bust is or ideed if it is Karl Marx.Could be G B Shaw, C Dickens or Ronny Reagan for all I know.Come on you know-alls, don't ignore this one - I'm eaten up with curiosity!!Best wishesMichael

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I'm still working on this one! Near guesses give the game away!!! Patience is a virtue i reckon here! :-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

The beautiful island

Post by The beautiful island »

Hi all, I'm new to the site and by fluke this was the first thing I looked at!! If I'm not mistaken this is John Scott and he is still in the courtyard gardens of Scott's Buildings of Middleton Road in Belle Isle. Not sure what he did, (possibly a land owner at the time?) but the buildings are superb and have remained unspoilt in an area not always free from trouble but with bags of character.Cheers

munki

Post by munki »

Well done to the Beautiful Island!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.