lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Si wrote: What's the difference between a tea-cake and a fruit (or currant)tea-cake, then? I always thought a bread-cake was slightly larger and was dusted with flour, whereas a tea-cake was a tan colour on top? A fruit one had currants in it. Bread-cakes are best for chip/bacon/sausage butties, and tea-cakes are best for cold sarnies or jam. Of course, I may have been deluded all these years!     now you've just totally confused me si lol.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Si

Post by Si »

Errr...sorry about that. Ah, the men in the white coats have arrived...

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

From my experience breadcakes had less air in them and were therefore flatter than teacakes.i think this is possibly because teacakes were baked in hotter ovens or in the top where it was warmer. They probably baked quicker too as the top crust though brown was soft whereas the breadcake had a harder crust all round. Teacakes also from experience were attached to others wherear breadcakes were usuaully baked without contact with others
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Si

Post by Si »

Ah..someone who agrees with me! I think bread-cakes are even called oven bottom cakes in some parts of the country, Tyke Bhoy.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

down here they are known as rolls,in nottingham they are baps.currants in??....sweet rolls,how sad is that.they have only just started selling warburtons inthe supermarkets down 'ere.i used to have to rely on visiting family to bring me some.all the breadcakes here are full of air....no proper ones.i keep trying to educate them in modern ways,but i's like the 1950s down here and thats no joke!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi Squatch 11Composed a real long reply to you an hour agobut when I pressed Post, all I got was a server saying'This page cannot be displayed' (Narked wasn't in it!)anyway,haven't time to go over all I said (Glad?),so this is just to reply to your bit about the chippyon the crossroads, corner of Morris Lane and Kirkstall LaneIt was always Hardisty's for years. Their Fish and chipswere rated the best in Leeds at one time. Their very tastyHaddock and heaps of delicious chips (free scraps too!),really were out of this world. (Droolworthy!).As you say, that shop is now a chinky takeaway and it'scalled 'The Dinner Box'. They don't open till 5pm so what ifyour dinner time is midday? We're all DOOOMED I tell you!Talking of Chinkies, do try 'The China Chef' takeawayat the Armley end of Stanningley Rd. near the Park.Pricesare still the same as in 2003! (I still have that year's pricelist!).All for nowArry

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

kierentc wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: I 've live North, South, East and west but you can't beat Fish and Chips from Leeds and Bradford area. In the 50s and 60s Saturday lunch was ALWAYS fish and chips from Fields on Scotthall Road/Potternewton Lane Junction. Then as a teenager on a Friday night in the early 60s a gang of us from Potternewton/Miles Hill, usually after a few pints in the 'Melbourne or the Beckets' then had fish and chips at Kirby's. In the 90s, when my daughter lived in Bradford, when we visited her one of the meals during the visit, apart from a Bradford curry from Naseebs at Lidget Green, was fish and chips and mushy peas from Odsal Top. A bit of a difference from the Cypriot Fish Meze this evening!! was fields where drakes is now? that is my favourite chippie and there's always a massive queue. thats no bad thing btw Yes, that's the one.    

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

cnosni wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: kierentc wrote: Trojan wrote: I suppose the major lost chippy in recent years in the centre of Leeds is Nash's on Merrion Street, which had a a take away and a Tudor restautant. There was another fish and chip restaurant in central Leeds, called Youngmans, it was up a ginnel/snicket (?) near the Odeon just off Upper Briggate.Yorkshire fish and chips take some beating, especially those from the Leeds/Bradford area, but there are far fewer now than there used to be. There's still some good ones left. But fish and chips is fast becoming a luxury meal. How long the traditional Yorkshire chippy can last in anyone's guess. i can't believe they've closed down. they always seemed so busy :-(i used to work near there and you had to go to the little door at the back to get takeaway, but then they opened an actual takeaway shop...and shortly after they were no morei miss kirby's in meanwood (well, yes i know its still there but its not the same since it was bought out a few years ago) I 've live North, South, East and west but you can't beat Fish and Chips from Leeds and Bradford area. In the 50s and 60s Saturday lunch was ALWAYS fish and chips from Fields on Scotthall Road/Potternewton Lane Junction. Then as a teenager on a Friday night in the early 60s a gang of us from Potternewton/Miles Hill, usually after a few pints in the 'Melbourne or the Beckets' then had fish and chips at Kirby's. In the 90s, when my daughter lived in Bradford, when we visited her one of the meals during the visit, apart from a Bradford curry from Naseebs at Lidget Green, was fish and chips and mushy peas from Odsal Top. A bit of a difference from the Cypriot Fish Meze this evening!! Yeah,but i bet it werent raining when you had your meze?Stil,nowt better than rain soaked fish and flips!!,and yer breadcake is like a flannel. This afternoon they would have had snow on them. First time it's snowed in Pegia Cyprus in the five years I've lived here.

stevief

Post by stevief »

"The Jubilee"Burley Road.It was situated in the centre of a parade of shops close to the junction with St Annes Lane.I think it's a Chinese now.Some years ago they had a fire,the proprietor had just finished damping down when someone opened the door and asked if he had any fish that were"well done".The reply was unprintable!

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

arry awk wrote: Hi Squatch 11Composed a real long reply to you an hour agobut when I pressed Post, all I got was a server saying'This page cannot be displayed' (Narked wasn't in it!)anyway,haven't time to go over all I said (Glad?),so this is just to reply to your bit about the chippyon the crossroads, corner of Morris Lane and Kirkstall LaneIt was always Hardisty's for years. Their Fish and chipswere rated the best in Leeds at one time. Their very tastyHaddock and heaps of delicious chips (free scraps too!),really were out of this world. (Droolworthy!).As you say, that shop is now a chinky takeaway and it'scalled 'The Dinner Box'. They don't open till 5pm so what ifyour dinner time is midday? We're all DOOOMED I tell you!Talking of Chinkies, do try 'The China Chef' takeawayat the Armley end of Stanningley Rd. near the Park.Pricesare still the same as in 2003! (I still have that year's pricelist!).All for nowArry Hi Arry - thanks for taking the time to compose a reply, even if I'll never see it!!!    Never remember it being Hardisty's, but nevertheless it's a shame it closed, I think I was spoilt with f&c's from there as a kid, as all the ones I try now seems to be too greasy, someone once told me it was due to the fat not being hot enough, but I don't know if it's true...Don't get up Stanningley Rd way much these days, but if I do, and I'm feeling in the mood, I'll give your recommendation a try!!And glad it's not just me that calls them "Chinkies!"Cheers, Sq.