Fir Tree Gas Works

Places to explore
LS1

Post by LS1 »

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the tunnel that used to be in the fir trees.Where Tall Trees is located now there used to be a gas storage unit, (see the pics attached, bottom left of the pic torpedo style things).Some time the holders were removed leaving a large void in the ground with a portal at one end just wide enough for a 13 year old to squeeze through and crawl under the ring road and emerge in the woods on the other side of the ring road. Does anyone else remember this or remember going down the tunnel?    
Attachments
__TFMF_14xlevyvuefmqz2pzms2jx45_51b2dc63-2684-48dd-b3ba-83cce2b5f172_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_14xlevyvuefmqz2pzms2jx45_51b2dc63-2684-48dd-b3ba-83cce2b5f172_0_main.jpg (87.37 KiB) Viewed 3187 times

rikj

Post by rikj »

Those are funny looking gas holders, more like propane than natural. I think there is a large gas main paralleling the ring road, certainly along this part. . There are little huts at intervals and a strip of clear ground, presumably above the pipe.Maybe if the tanks were linked to this then it was a duct for a large diameter gas pipe. Doesn't explain why it came out in the woods though!

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

I was at Fir Tree school in the 60s, but don't remember them at all! Then again, my memory is going.....

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I think they are holders; It was always known as the gas works when I was younger. I seem to remember seeing something like this on one of the back roads near collingham, if you go up on of the streets near La Laconda restaurant it brings you almost back towards Leeds parallel to Wetherby Road There is something similar to these down there!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

LS1 wrote: I think they are holders; It was always known as the gas works when I was younger. I seem to remember seeing something like this on one of the back roads near collingham, if you go up on of the streets near La Laconda restaurant it brings you almost back towards Leeds parallel to Wetherby Road There is something similar to these down there! I think you'll find it is part of the in-coming high pressure gas distribution grid. Incidently you probably wouldn't now if there was a leak there until it was too late, the gas passing through is raw natural gas which is odourless - the nasty pong is added later so that we can detect it!

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

These holders were part of the medium pressure system serving leeds this operated at 30psi. there were similar installations around Leeds but this was the last in operation, think it was decommissioned in 1974. The Land was sold in 1997 for redevelopment to Barratt Homes it is now a housing estate accessed from Firtree approach. The land infill came from the David Lloyd new development on Tongue Lane.

spainboy

Post by spainboy »

I remember the gas works, infact I lived on Nursery lane for many many years near the corner of Fir Tree drive which leads to Fir Tree Approach where the gas works used to be.You used to have to climb over a massive wire gate to the disused area which was full of graffiti and broken bottles. A few druggies used this area.Quite surpised when I left in the mid 90's and visited recently only to find a set of brand new houses and a new estate on there.I never went down the tunnel though.