The H C Atkinson building on The Calls.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks chemimike. The advert from 1916 clearly confirms that the name is H G Atkinson not H C Atkinson. The maps are very interesting. I did not know the area was (query still is) called Warehouse Hill. It does not seem high enough to call it an hill now but it may have been higher ground in the past before buildings were put there.Edit added later on August 23 2011. I've found that the area is still known as Warehouse Hill.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Leodian wrote: Thanks chemimike. The advert from 1916 clearly confirms that the name is H G Atkinson not H C Atkinson. The maps are very interesting. I did not know the area was (query still is) called Warehouse Hill. It does not seem high enough to call it an hill now but it may have been higher ground in the past before buildings were put there.Edit added later on August 23 2011. I've found that the area is still known as Warehouse Hill. I remember when i was a lad there were warehouses all along the river in this area.Some of the frontage can still be seen from the other side of the river. You can still see the entrance to each floor were the goods would be winched up from the barges.This is one part of Leeds i think they have done a great job in keeping the old in with the new i cant say this for other parts of the city.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Re: The H C Atkinson building on The Calls.

Post by Leodian »

It's sad to see that the Atkinson and other buildings nearby on The Calls have still not been renovated and put into use. This is a photo I took on June 25 2015 of one of the buildings where at least the shrub seems to be growing bigger each year (I wonder where it is getting nutrient from!). What with the closed buildings on Lady Lane and many closed premises on Commercial Street and elsewhere it is all a very depressing sight when walking around the centre of Leeds.
Attachments
Building on The Calls (photo taken June 25 2015).
Building on The Calls (photo taken June 25 2015).
121R.jpg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 9688 times

AndrooAtk

Post by AndrooAtk »

This is (was?) a relative of mine. There is a lot of information on the company contained within a book called ‘A Richer Dust’ by Colin Gordon which may be useful.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L AndrooAtK Many thanks for your reply.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

AndrooAtk wrote:
Wed 17 May, 2023 3:45 pm
This is (was?) a relative of mine. There is a lot of information on the company contained within a book called ‘A Richer Dust’ by Colin Gordon which may be useful.
Thanks for that information AndrooAtk :). I've found that the book is a study based on hundreds of slide photos of the Victorian/Edwardian family. I wonder if there is anything specific on the H G Atkinson building on The Calls.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I notice that, to me, the earlier (1913) photo from Leodian, kis no longer visible. Is this some problem wih the site of with my laptop?

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

chemimike wrote:
Thu 18 May, 2023 12:54 pm
I notice that, to me, the earlier (2015) photo from Leodian, kis no longer visible. Is this some problem wih the site of with my laptop?

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

@chemimike: The image is no longer available.. looks like it has been removed from. download/file.php?id=8979&sid=055298726 ... e5ed50f2e2

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi chemimike and Brunel.
I've long noticed that many images that I (and presumably others) have posted on various threads are no longer available or are badly corrupted, probably for technical reasons. I have added a copy of a photo taken on June 25 2015 which was likely that used but which is no longer available. The building it is on was further along The Calls (sometimes just Calls) just after where Crown Street joins but before the road becomes Call Lane. I notice from Google Street images that this building was demolished between May 2016 and July 2017. I also notice that the H G Atkinson building was demolished between July 2017 and May 2018.
PlantOnBuildingTheCallsLeedsJune252015..jpg
PlantOnBuildingTheCallsLeedsJune252015..jpg (103.89 KiB) Viewed 8467 times