Asket Hall

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Parksider, Just haveing a hunt on Leodis and came across this pic, caption as follows"View of Wyke Beck as it flows through stone built channel towards culvert, near Asket Hill. In the background can be seen a stone wall with gate, part of unidentified large house."Someone has commented on it that the house is Eastfields (See http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=3185)But this was on Dib Lane/ Easterly Road and I cant see how the pic attached was part of Eastfields so was wondering if this was to do with Asket Hall. Also just on North Lane set back is a big old looking building (looks old from the air on google earth anyway). Wonder what this was?North Hill (the house) was apparently build to annoy Nicholson of Roundhay Park. When he originally bought the land in 1810ish, he bought it with Samuel Elam who died shortly after the purchase. Due to some discrepancies with the trustees of the Elam Land one of Nicholsons relatives built North Hill or something like that. I cant remember the full story but have it written down at home so will relay it later!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LS1 wrote: Parksider, Just haveing a hunt on Leodis and came across this pic, caption as follows"View of Wyke Beck as it flows through stone built channel towards culvert, near Asket Hill. In the background can be seen a stone wall with gate, part of unidentified large house."Someone has commented on it that the house is Eastfields (See http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=3185)But this was on Dib Lane/ Easterly Road and I cant see how the pic attached was part of Eastfields so was wondering if this was to do with Asket Hall. The description for the pic is slightly wrong, many are on leodis, but no criticism, they have done their best and have invited people like us to correct them.The stream is actually flowing away from the culvert after it has already passed under Easterly Road from asket hill and indeed that wall is part of the Eastfields house which was next to Grange Lodge which was our families doctors.I remember Eastfields well, it was demolished for the building of a home that is accessed from grange Park ave/road? just after the doctors.Fascinating to see the pics of the culvert when it was built and the ford that went before - it was part of out stamping ground.I've also laboriously gone through the 1851 map of Oakwood on old-maps and the two large stone pillars on Dib Lane were the entrance to "Fearnville" another large house, long since knocked down.On my old estate is a patch of ground and a street bearing the name "The Rein" along Dib lane another patch of open ground is called "Arthur's rein" on maps.In a very old disctionary Rein meant an area of wet ground that is the source/origin of a waterway.Rein cannot be found in the oxford English with that meaning. Goit can't be found either (a culverted mill stream)

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LS1 wrote: Parksider, Just haveing a hunt on Leodis and Also just on North Lane set back is a big old looking building (looks old from the air on google earth anyway). Wonder what this was?North Hill (the house) was apparently build to annoy Nicholson of Roundhay Park. When he originally bought the land in 1810ish, he bought it with Samuel Elam who died shortly after the purchase. Due to some discrepancies with the trustees of the Elam Land one of Nicholsons relatives built North Hill or something like that. I cant remember the full story but have it written down at home so will relay it later! The set back house is The Grove on of the bigger mansions around North Lane.I think it is now split into series of flats - nice place to have a flat??

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Interesting information there Parksider. Some good pics onLeodis too of the area. Going slightly off topic , but still in the geographical area, Stephen Burt mentions in his book on the history of Roundhay Park, that part of the original ditch encircling Roundhay Park still exists, but is now on private land. It was built apparently as with all similar types of deer park, and he gives dimensions of the ditch (which I cant remember). I think that this is near the jnc of Easterly Road and Wetherby Road, just down from Asket Hill, or on the stretch of Easterly Road going from Askett Hill to Wetherby Road. Any ideas.....    

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LS1 wrote: Interesting information there Parksider. Some good pics onLeodis too of the area. Going slightly off topic , but still in the geographical area, Stephen Burt mentions in his book on the history of Roundhay Park, that part of the original ditch encircling Roundhay Park still exists, but is now on private land. It was built apparently as with all similar types of deer park, and he gives dimensions of the ditch (which I cant remember). I think that this is near the jnc of Easterly Road and Wetherby Road, just down from Asket Hill, or on the stretch of Easterly Road going from Askett Hill to Wetherby Road. Any ideas.....     The opening chapter refers to the deer park and states that ditches and fencing kept the deer in. I can't see your reference though but haven't re-read the book too closely!!I think much of the stretch you mention has been dug up and moved about for easterly road. The map of the deer park in the book is excellent, but I can't reconcile it with today's geography.that's something it'd be great to see someone do.....

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

The Parksider wrote: If you pt this in the leodis search you get an amazing old house with terraces of stone built walling, steps and gardens fit for a Lord.Although I lived round there in the 1960/70's I never knew of it. If it was pulled down beforehand it was a heck of a building/estate to pull down.Anyone know of this mansion? who was it for when was it demolished and why??My Godfrey map for Roundhay just misses showing the area where the hall was. My. 1935 map shows nothing.annoyingly Godfrey didn't do the sheet south of roundhay and north of east leeds - and he told me he ain't gonna do it in the near future either.....BBBOOOOOOOO! i played in the last remnants of the hall with an old mate...i am sure,if you cross over the bulls field nr the old lido...you see an old bridge...this was in the grounds..(i think),the newer asket houses are built on the site as you approach the bulls field from dib lane..????
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

wiggy wrote: i played in the last remnants of the hall with an old mate...i am sure,if you cross over the bulls field nr the old lido...you see an old bridge...this was in the grounds..(i think),the newer asket houses are built on the site as you approach the bulls field from dib lane..???? Yes the bridge is still there and very fancy too.Cross over from dib lane and through the style onto the wyke beck about 30 meters on....

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The Parksider wrote: LS1 wrote: Interesting information there Parksider. Some good pics onLeodis too of the area. Going slightly off topic , but still in the geographical area, Stephen Burt mentions in his book on the history of Roundhay Park, that part of the original ditch encircling Roundhay Park still exists, but is now on private land. It was built apparently as with all similar types of deer park, and he gives dimensions of the ditch (which I cant remember). I think that this is near the jnc of Easterly Road and Wetherby Road, just down from Asket Hill, or on the stretch of Easterly Road going from Askett Hill to Wetherby Road. Any ideas.....     The opening chapter refers to the deer park and states that ditches and fencing kept the deer in. I can't see your reference though but haven't re-read the book too closely!!I think much of the stretch you mention has been dug up and moved about for easterly road. The map of the deer park in the book is excellent, but I can't reconcile it with today's geography.that's something it'd be great to see someone do..... If you look on page three of the Burt book he states "part of the original boundary stil exitsts on the north east corner of the estate" the footnote says this is now on private land. Looking at the pic attached of the map on page 2 of the book you can see where wetherby road is, and the dotted line of the park boundary. Where i have put the red cross is roughly the modern junction of Easterly Road and Wetherby Road. Just here there is a big ditch almost parallel to Easterly Road, which appears to continue for a short way on the other side of Wetherby Road (which is on land part of Roundhay Grange Farm). If this is not part of the original ditch I wonder what it is. I realise now that the land burt mentions is near Red Hall (con't on next post)..
Attachments
__TFMF_pzs0uxvnqhg23124sbk5b4ul_f8b1e2bb-9011-43d2-9f45-a87a3923a546_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_pzs0uxvnqhg23124sbk5b4ul_f8b1e2bb-9011-43d2-9f45-a87a3923a546_0_main.jpg (926.33 KiB) Viewed 2871 times

LS1

Post by LS1 »

but i figure on the attached pic from Google Earth the ring road marks roughly the park boundary originally - could be wrong but I reakon the ditch may be in the red circle I have drawn. (Roundhay Grange is in the bottom left area the only building near the golf course)- incedentally does anyone know what that massive complex is with the entry on the rign road. Its huge and on the pic is just to the left of Red Hall.
Attachments
__TFMF_pzs0uxvnqhg23124sbk5b4ul_011fe917-81b7-4383-b914-894816321f21_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_pzs0uxvnqhg23124sbk5b4ul_011fe917-81b7-4383-b914-894816321f21_0_main.jpg (165.52 KiB) Viewed 2871 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Unless I am mistaken, the notation adjacent to the buildings we have identified as likey to be the Hall on your map LS1, reads 'Asket Hall' I'm sure it is not simply, Asket Hill.