Were Welsh speakers expected in the centre of Leeds (just a bit of fun).

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Were Welsh speakers expected in the centre of Leeds (just a bit of fun).

Post by Leodian »

When I was in the centre of Leeds today (Sept 28 2021) the attached sign at the Briggate/Boar Lane junction caught my attention. I wonder if many Welsh speakers were expected to be around! ;)
PS. I checked and cerddwyr is Welsh for pedestrians.
SignBriggateBoarLaneJunctionLeedsSept282021..jpg
SignBriggateBoarLaneJunctionLeedsSept282021..jpg (117.99 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

blackprince

Re: Were Welsh speakers expected in the centre of Leeds (just a bit of fun).

Post by blackprince »

An example of cultural appropriation perhaps? Have students nicked a welsh sign on an outing to Bangor?

Not the first time the Welsh language has made an appearance in Leeds.
Pre 1968 Granada TV used to broadcast to the whole of the North of England and also covered North Wales.
So growing up in Leeds in the 60's the Granada newsreader always used to end with "Nos Da" and Goodnight.
I now live in Cheshire about 20 miles from the Welsh border and my post man delivers in a Post Brenhinol logo van. We spot a few Ambwilans and Heddlu cars on our local roads.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

jma

Post by jma »

A dozen years ago during one of the many "improvements" of the junction which was once identified with reference to the Woodpecker and more recently the Kremlin, one lane of the carriageway under the A58(M) flyover was fenced off with barriers labelled Perygl cadwch allan which is Welsh for Danger (peril) Keep Out. No stopping either so no pics from me

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Not quite as far away as Wales, but I've noticed quite a few temporary bus stop signs that are for South Yorkshire PTE instead of Metro.