The Electric Press Building

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
helenroachuk

The Electric Press Building

Post by helenroachuk »

Does anyone know why the building was called The Electric Press- I know it housed Chorley and Pickergill Printers and bookbinders?

thanks

jma

Re: The Electric Press Building

Post by jma »

In the absence of comment from somebody who knows, I'll offer you a welcome to the forum and ask why you think the answer isn't implicit in the name?

I'd assume that the printers occupying the building had what must have been a new-fangled printing press powered by electricity.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L helenroachuk .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

jma wrote:
Wed 21 Apr, 2021 2:54 pm
In the absence of comment from somebody who knows, I'll offer you a welcome to the forum and ask why you think the answer isn't implicit in the name?

I'd assume that the printers occupying the building had what must have been a new-fangled printing press powered by electricity.
A similar conclusion was come to in this thread viewtopic.php?t=5991&start=10 I don't think there is definitive proof but its a very sound assumption based on the absence of any other info.

Hopefully you can spot the Chimney in this Streetview from May 2018 https://goo.gl/maps/8KFT3FnBrRtXcD1m8 (Judging by the lack of traffic it must have been a Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday because shadows suggest midday)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

helenroachuk

Post by helenroachuk »

Thank you!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

My brother was in printing all his working life,did the night classes etc.
There were many printers large and small in the city centre,the reason being,they were in easy reach of the Town Hall for delivery by hand cart.LCC would be a major customer then
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

This is from 4th Dec 1899
Screenshot (50).png
Screenshot (50).png (69.44 KiB) Viewed 4009 times

jma

Post by jma »

It looks as though they needed a proof reader as well
InkedScreenshot (50)_LI.jpg
InkedScreenshot (50)_LI.jpg (839.1 KiB) Viewed 4003 times

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

That brand new American electric printing press was installed in 1899, only 5 years after the start of electricity supply in Leeds city centre by the Yorkshire House to House Electricity Company from its power station in Whitehall Road. My great grandfather moved his family from London to Leeds to work for YHH in 1894, after working on the electrification of London , Madrid and Dublin.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

jma wrote:
Thu 22 Apr, 2021 6:59 pm
It looks as though they needed a proof reader as well

InkedScreenshot (50)_LI.jpg
They were probably working by gaslight and specsavers hadn't been invented.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!