Mass vaccination Leeds Town Hall 1950s/1960s

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Jan B

Mass vaccination Leeds Town Hall 1950s/1960s

Post by Jan B »

Hi does anyone remember attending Leeds Town Hall in the late 1950s or possibly early 1960s to be vaccinated? My parents took myself and my sister there to be vaccinated- can't remember what it was for - diphtheria or small pox??- just remember lots of people with children there waiting around -I was about 8 or 9 at the time .

blackprince

Re: Mass vaccination Leeds Town Hall 1950s/1960s

Post by blackprince »

Hi,
There was mass campaign to vaccinate children against polio in the UK in 1956 or 57. This is probably what you recall.
The vaccine was developed by Dr Jonas Salk in the US in 1955. It was funded by the "March of Dimes".
I was 8 or 9 at the time and my whole class walked in a line, with our teachers, from Brownhills school along Harehills Lane to a clinic, near the Shaftsbury, to be vaccinated.
As far as I know every child was vaccinated without question. There was no vaccine hesitancy in those days. Every sane parent wanted their child vaccinated against the polio virus which had terrible consequences, even for those who got it and survived.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

1958: Was the first mass vaccination programme

Everyone under the age of 15 was vaccinated against polio and diphtheria in a programme in 1958. Before the vaccinations, cases of polio climbed as high as 8,000 and diphtheria as high as 70,000 in epidemic years, resulting in 5,000 deaths.
In the early 1950s, NHS mobile immunisation vans were used for vaccinations. However looking at my Medical Records I was never vaccinated during this programme (see below)

Since the vaccinations below (taken from my medical reports) I have also had Yellow Fever, Cholera and Smallpox whilst working abroad.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Was that the jab that left you with a ring on the top of your arm with lots of tiny dots in it.If so i have had that though i cant remember having it my mam said i came home from school with it, she said she was never asked permission.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jan B

Post by Jan B »

Hi thank you for your great replies to my question ! Wasn't sure if it was polio but it must have been that one in 1958 when I was a mere 6 years old then but still have a vague memory of it even now ! Jan

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

tilly wrote:
Tue 23 Feb, 2021 2:31 pm
Was that the jab that left you with a ring on the top of your arm with lots of tiny dots in it.If so i have had that though i cant remember having it my mam said i came home from school with it, she said she was never asked permission.
No Tilly. That was the BCG vaccination for TB.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

buffaloskinner wrote:
Tue 23 Feb, 2021 1:46 pm
1958: Was the first mass vaccination programme

Everyone under the age of 15 was vaccinated against polio and diphtheria in a programme in 1958.
Do I get a "1 year out " T shirt ( like Ken Bruce's Popmaster quiz) :)

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

blackprince wrote:
Tue 23 Feb, 2021 5:36 pm

Do I get a "1 year out " T shirt ( like Ken Bruce's Popmaster quiz)
Of course you do, congratulations :D
Attachments
BP T.jpg
BP T.jpg (95.11 KiB) Viewed 4329 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tilly wrote:
Tue 23 Feb, 2021 2:31 pm
Hiya tilly :).
The ring with tiny dots remained obvious on me for very many years but having just looked it is faint now!
PS. I wonder if that BCG jab is still providing me with resistance to getting TB?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Many thanks blackprince Hi Leodian it must be working for me i have two bellies .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.