Post by warringtonrhino »

:D
Attachments
happy christmas 2020.jpg
happy christmas 2020.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 5919 times

blackprince

Re: Christmas 2020

Post by blackprince »

Christmas is coming , the goose is getting fat.
Please put a penny in the old man's hat.
If you haven't got a penny a halfpenny will do.
If you haven't got a halfpenny , god bless you.*

Sometimes in our 1960s Leeds door to door carol singing the final "god bless you" sounded more like " we'll put your windows through" but it's the thought that counts.
Merry Christmas everybody.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Halfpenny ('apeny), tuppence, bob, tanner, farthing, florin, guinea and no doubt others will cause bewilderment to many nowadays!
Merry Christmas to you all. :)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Merry Christmas to everyone at SL and a Happy 2021 as well. 🎄🎅🌲

Jan B

Post by Jan B »

Used to go carol singing when young with my sister and a schoolfriend who could play the recorder , we'd sing a few carols at each house in the street . Must be 10 years now since I've heard carol singers going door to door - remember a few times just used to get one line of Wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year and nothing else ! Not even one carol ! Happy Christmas to everyone. !

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

A Happy and Christmas and a prosperous New Year to all, just hope 2021 will be better for us.

Leodian What about Half crown (half a dollar). penny. quid (£1) "Brass" and "Spondoolicks" if you had any amount of money Worst thing ever to go decimal in my opinion, but that's for another time.
B.P. ....... "That put your window through" certainly reminded me of the "Gipton Carol Singers" usually followed by a hard knocking on their door and then a wait and see. More often than not no answer or if the man of the house was home a sharp "Bugger Off"

A couple more. Dollar (5/bob) Dinar (shilling, not sure of the spelling) clod (penny) nicker (£1-) tosheroon (2/-) not sure if some of these slang words are just to local to Leeds.
Last edited by volvojack on Fri 25 Dec, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I may be getting a bit dimmer as time passes but- I just don't get what the cartoon is about.
Love Warrington R's previous work but I am foxed with this one.

Merry Christmas and a much better New Year to you all
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Several years ago I spent Christmas on the west coat of Ireland. and news got around that I could draw. In return for a pint I did cartoons which were meant to illustrated Christmas songs, This one is a very obscure one and was done towards the end of the long drinking/drawing session. The best clue I can give you is that it is a Christmas song, sung whilst drunk! Something for you to ponder between festivities
This is a redrawn copy, I still have the original.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I could see a king? upstairs, a rook/castle and 2 groups learning chess? and a prominent exit, but not the connection
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Good King Wenceslas looked out.