Council consultation leeds monuments

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
blackprince

Re: Council consultation leeds monuments

Post by blackprince »

I am surprised that Montague Burton has not been more widely commemorated in Leeds. His business employed thousands of Leeds people. The Hudson Road factory alone could employ 10,000. The working conditions were above average for the time. The brand was well known and respected throughout the Uk and he contributed to the war effort, by producing a huge proportion of the military uniforms in both world wars. He received a knighthood but no statue as far as I know.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Wonder why i got agitated about Mandala Square/gardens It only cost Twelve Million Pounds

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

I'd like someone to find out who commissioned the Androgyne and ask what they were thinking of.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

mhoulden wrote:
Sat 25 Jul, 2020 11:19 pm
I'd like someone to find out who commissioned the Androgyne and ask what they were thinking of.
The link says many think it is made of fibreglass, but actually is not. A shame that. In birmingham they had another load of rubbish like that in fibreglass and someone set light to it.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Daniel Hannan mentioned the results of this consultation in an article on 31/11/20.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/1 ... t-radical/
Here is an extract of the paragraph relevant to Leeds:

We knew that the anti-statue protesters were statistically in the minority; but I’m not sure we appreciated quite how tiny a minority.

Leeds, like other cities, saw a spate of Black Lives Matter protests over the summer. The monument to Queen Victoria on Woodhouse Moor was vandalised, and a petition was circulated against the nearby statue of Robert Peel – the deft Lancastrian who gave us the police, free trade and the Conservative Party. Instead of panicking, the Labour council calmly set up a review, chaired by a black city councillor, which initiated a major public consultation. When the responses were in, it turned out that only 10 per cent of people wanted to rethink the monuments – and only a third of that ten per cent actually wanted any statues removed.

I expected that before long Haverah park might be recording the seismic shocks as statues were toppled from their plinths. Maybe it won't happen now as the result of the consultation turned out to be more of a damp squib than an earthquake!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

@HICKLINGMICK:

I'm not being racist here but read other day that the leader of the review into all this is from a non white background,so could look at this from a different view point to normal Leeds folk.

Yes you are being rascist, think about it if you can.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Mick You have to let things ride and say nothing, that seems to be the case in any situation now.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

"the leader of the review into all this is from a non white background, so could look at this from a different view point to normal Leeds folk."

So white is normal, and non-white is abnormal. Is that right Mick?
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Secret Leeds is an inappropriate forum for abusive and racist diatribes.
In addition, the above post is off topic.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Despite being somewhat off topic, I do feel the need to respond to your tired old racist bullshit Mick.

1) being in the minority doesn't make you abnormal, any more than it makes all the British immigrants in Spain abnormal.

2) this country has come a very long way since the 1940s (thank god, given the backwards hole the place was) when we began encouraging more immigration so we could repair the country that we'd just completely destroyed in WW2. The Britain we live in today is in part built on the contributions of the Windrush generation. Things like the NHS particularly of course, which we are all relying on some much right now.

3) Mandela was a terrorist, and paid his dues in jail before going on to overthrow one of the most repulsive and immoral government system on the face of the planet and reunite a nation divided by decades of segregation and hatred. That's why they named the square after him, not the bus bombing bit. The fact that you're standing up for the South African apartheid regime says it all though really.

4) Why did everyone ignore Jimmy Savile and Neil Taggart then exactly? Was that racism or was that just old white guys ignoring and covering up paedophilia and child rape again, as seems to have been standard practice amongst "your lot" for generations now?

5) Stop and search hasn't stopped, and if you have a look at the figures it is still massively skewed towards targeting black people: https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.ser ... rch/latest

6) BLM started because Black people in the US are at significant danger of being murdered by their own police force. If you think that's an acceptable situation then fair enough, you're welcome to your opinion I guess.

7) Whiteness isn't racist, saying "black people are abnormal" is racist. Do you understand the difference?
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.