Mods and Rockers in Leeds in the 60's

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
valetta varsity

Re: Mods and Rockers in Leeds in the 60's

Post by valetta varsity »

Just seen this thread i was into the Leeds Music Scene at this time and hit the Three Coins regularly,it was a brilliant place ,we saw The Merseybeats, Dave Berry,Wayne Fontana,The Nashville Teens,Victor Brox Blues Train, Four plus One,The Toggery Five(later to become Sad Cafe),the record that was played over and over was The Others "Oh Yeah" We were freindly with the drinks bar lady and got our drinks free ,it was Coca Cola back then. The seedy bit was the DJ Tony Teret who i beleive was Ray Teret ,also Jimmy Saville was a regular visitor he was involved with a group called The Dawnbreakers, The Bileu Gardenia was the other music venue we hit on The Outer Limits often appeared there and later became Christie, The Peel was Jazz music but there were always fighting there as was The Central Dance Hall near the Corn Exchange, as mods we often got jumped on by Greasers but we had some victories ,one night wed been attacked in the Old Mecca and managed to escape as ratio was about ten to one, came out into King Edward Street and there were the Greasers machines as they always parked there,so enough said.......

paulandsue

Post by paulandsue »

Regarding the 3 coins club and Tony Teret being the 'seedy' dj Ray Teret have to tell you they are two different people, Ray used to say Tony was his younger brother but Tony told us they weren't brothers at all it was just a gimmick, don't know what Tony does now but he was an okay guy - just saying!

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

valetta varsity wrote:Just seen this thread i was into the Leeds Music Scene at this time and hit the Three Coins regularly,it was a brilliant place ,we saw The Merseybeats, Dave Berry,Wayne Fontana,The Nashville Teens,Victor Brox Blues Train, Four plus One,The Toggery Five(later to become Sad Cafe),the record that was played over and over was The Others "Oh Yeah" We were freindly with the drinks bar lady and got our drinks free ,it was Coca Cola back then. The seedy bit was the DJ Tony Teret who i beleive was Ray Teret ,also Jimmy Saville was a regular visitor he was involved with a group called The Dawnbreakers, The Bileu Gardenia was the other music venue we hit on The Outer Limits often appeared there and later became Christie, The Peel was Jazz music but there were always fighting there as was The Central Dance Hall near the Corn Exchange, as mods we often got jumped on by Greasers but we had some victories ,one night wed been attacked in the Old Mecca and managed to escape as ratio was about ten to one, came out into King Edward Street and there were the Greasers machines as they always parked there,so enough said.......
Think the Dawnbreakers changed their name a few times, the lead guitarist was Jeff Christie who later went solo and then wrote and recorded "Yellow River" which was a hit more or less world wide.

Benny

Post by Benny »

Sorry everybody
Used to be Benny re bg club a thousand years ago
Got blamed for things I did not do
Things I did yes rip off fletchers in a stupor re many scooters
RIP off my friends no
Don’t even know why they thought that

Benny

Post by Benny »

If anybody knows we’re Craig Linley is please let me know
Most people are dead I just keep on going
A royal enfield nowadays no more scooters

loinermark

Post by loinermark »

I have just rejoined this site after a long absence (not aware that it had restarted) - looking through the posts I was staggered to see Craig Linley mentioned. Did you get any indication where he is now or even if he is still alive ?

Modsinthe60s

Post by Modsinthe60s »

I have just rejoined this site after a long absence (not aware that it had restarted) - looking through the posts I was staggered to see Craig Linley mentioned. Did you get any indication where he is now or even if he is still alive ?
[/quote]

We, that's my wife and myself often ask the same question. We knew Craig both before and after he was married. No idea of his whereabouts now.
Must admit he was quite a notoriety on the Mod scene in the mid to late 60s. Must admit to wondering where many of the Town Mods are know.
Most probably passed a few but not recognised them as we change so much as we get older.

Adey23

Re:

Post by Adey23 »

book wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2012 2:07 pm
Wasn't there a Battle of Kirstall Abbey between the Mods and Rockers once?
It never happened in the end
Sandford skins Marlborough lads & Compton lads

BillyMorris

Post by BillyMorris »

Enjoyed reading this thread particularly about coffee bars, pubs and clubs - "The Del Rio, Concadora and El Toro were the main meeting points and the Carousel on Upper Briggate. The music scene was centered around the Blue Gardenia (BG Club) and the Three Coins." I'd be interested to know if those places were just popular with Mods, or did Rockers go too? If not, and they generally stayed apart, where did the Rockers congregate?

Also, am I right in thinking it was soft drinks only at the coffee bars but presume you could get alcohol at the BG Club and 3 Coins?