Lots of road works going on in Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Lots of road works going on in Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

Not having a car I use buses and I'm glad as I don't have to suffer the stress that car drivers may suffer regularly caused by the many long time going on road works. The works at the Sheepscar junction seem to have been going on for ever. The Headrow/Vicar Lane scheme causes problems for drivers and pedestrians, particularly at the Vicar Lane junction. Although the road works there are still in an early stage I noticed today (Aug 27 2020) that a bus shelter has however already been put in place on Vicar Lane (near what was a Lloyds Bank) on what will be the outward bound lane from Vicar Lane to North Street! It probably won't be long before the proposed improvement scheme around the Corn Exchange starts. City Square is undergoing major alterations. The works in the area around the Regent Street flyover, such as that on New York Road, must be causing severe delays. I just hope when the works are finally finished that the roads are not quickly dug up by the utilities!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Re: Lots of road works going on in Leeds.

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote:
Thu 27 Aug, 2020 8:45 pm
. I just hope when the works are finally finished that the roads are not quickly dug up by the utilities!
A cast iron certainty, surer than night follows day.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tilly

Post by tilly »

According to the works signs it will go on until 2022 in some parts of the centre of Leeds, god help us i am glad i dont go into town that often.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jma

Post by jma »

Except for providing Dad's taxi service, I cannot remember with any certainty the last time I went into Leeds centre. Definitely not at all in 2020. I looked at duvets in John Lewis last Autumn but they hadn't got what I wanted. I bought a pair of shoes at Cheaney's a couple of years ago and that's the last time I remember spending any money in Leeds.
=================================================================

PS After I had written this I had to drop some of my family off at the station. I see there's some sort of excavation right across City Square as mentioned by Leodian

tilly

Post by tilly »

I took a family member to Jimmys three weeks ago it took me well over a hour to cover a journey that takes me twenty minuets.I did not know about the road works, the tunnel was closed east bound never again just got there with two minuets to spare after going around the town to find a way through.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jan B

Post by Jan B »

Let's hope once all these road works improvements are finished there won't be any more in the city centre +

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Jan
I assume you are joking!

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

In 2004 I did this cartoon for Private Eye, after the US and UN inspectors admitted that they could not find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
In 2020 it can be viewed from a different perspective, and hopefully it is still humorous
Attachments
Weapons of Mass Disruption.jpg
Weapons of Mass Disruption.jpg (642.07 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Tue 01 Sep, 2020 11:31 am
In 2004 I did this cartoon for Private Eye, after the US and UN inspectors admitted that they could not find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
In 2020 it can be viewed from a different perspective, and hopefully it is still humorous
That made me :) lots. 'Mass disruption' is a great play on words.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.