Cookridge 1960

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
gchq

Re: Cookridge 1960

Post by gchq »

I wondered if it was possible to supply any further information or the names of any of the occupants, which may make it possible to trace via Ancestry or Telephone Directories, in order to identify the locations.
I can trace phone numbers from Essex until my parents moved to Cookridge in 1960. As they split and divorced very quickly after that I doubt that number got into the directory.

A telephone number appears for my father in Garforth in 1961 and mother in a flat at Roundhay Road in 1962.

My mother bought a house in Leeds 9, but there was no phone and my father appears in the directory for Vesper Road from 1970 onwards

I know my mother bought a house on Roxholme Terrace, probably around 1973, and then appears in a phone directory in a flat at LS17 in 1975 - she died shortly after that.

I can trace my father back to the crusades with ease, but it would appear my mother was a ghost until she married my father in 1953 - and then only appears in phone directories post divorce and a death certificate.

Interestingly my grandfather and descendants all came from London, but my father was born in Ilkley - he (my father) had a sister that died in Ilkley in a school accident just before he was born in 1927 - I'm waiting for Ilkley library to open to see if there is anything in archived copies of the Ilkley Gazette, as Ancestry and local history groups cannot find anything.

Shortly after my father was born they moved to Sussex.

gchq

Post by gchq »

Quick reply re your school -------- It is possible that people living in Cookridge may have sent a child to Far Headingley Primary School on Otley Road just below where the filter beds were (now posh housing).
I was five/six years old at the time and remember very little - other than I supposedly set fire to the bungalow! I cannot confirm or deny that allegation other than I do have a recollection of sitting on a dustbin in the drive with smoke pouring out of a window!

Far Headingly is the name that comes to mind and I really have no idea where it is in relation to Cookridge. Shortly afterwards I went to live with my father and stepmother in Garforth, and that was Garforth CP on Main Street. Then bounced back to my mother and Lovell Road CP, followed by Leeds Grammar School at age eleven, then ended up living with my grandparents and going to Worthing High (Sussex), then back to Leeds and, not being able to get back into the Grammar School, ended up at Leeds Central High - three schools during the O level course!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

gchq wrote:
Mon 10 Aug, 2020 1:14 pm
The most unique features are the three semi-detached houses in a row, the end one with an extension - and at the other end a single story building that resembles a meeting hall of some description. The view you captured is soooo close, three houses in a row with a single story building - but the single story building in 1960 doesn't have a sloping roof at the end.
If you move street view down Smithy lane to that first bungalow then there appears to be a slight difference in bricks suggesting an extension may have been added turning a "gable end" into a sloped roof. If you look at the next pair of semi detached bungalows the far one still has the "gable end"
gchq wrote:
Mon 10 Aug, 2020 1:14 pm
The one with an extension has a building directly behind it
This house on Cookridge Drive would appear to be directly behind that house when viewed from early up the part of Crag Hill Avenue that is a cul-de-sac
https://goo.gl/maps/1dWPNFBoHJ9XAXEJ6
Note the position of the chimney dead centre of the high roof. I can't quite work out if it has 6 pots as the one in your photo appears to have.

I also have my suspicions that the junction of Cookridge Drive and Cookridge Lane may have been the terminus you refer to. Unfortunately one of our most knowledgeable ex bus staff no longer posts and its been a while since a couple of others have too.

All this said it doesn't alter the fact that although the Cul-de-sac part of Crag Hill Avenue does contain semi detached bungalows they would need to have undergone a massive change for very little gain to have resembled those in the your photos. Yes they do have "gable ends" jutting out of the front elevation but only on the left sided bungalow of each pair. It is also much wider and that is where the little gain, widening them, for massive change comes in.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

gchq

Post by gchq »

...may have been the terminus you refer to...
My mind wondered at that time with the mention of the Number 36 bus. I was referring to the main bus station in Leeds where I would catch the number 56 to school (at a much later time)

gchq

Post by gchq »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Tue 11 Aug, 2020 1:57 pm
If you move street view down Smithy lane to that first bungalow
Here is the old and new roughly from the same angle

This would have been the field of vision at the time

Which would mean the photo had to be taken from the front window here!

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

I am not convinced.
The 1960 bungalow has a gable roof, the google one has a hipped roof. The Gable on the front of the google bungalow is much wider and does not have a natural stone panel below the window. The google one is detached, the 1960 one is a semi. I think the location 'Cookridge' is misleading .The ones on the photographs are all semi detached with a narrow gable at each end at the front. They have lots of natural stone and the end walls are gables not hipped and the chimneys do not match. Having carried out a detailed check, I am convinced that here are no bungalows in 1960 Cookridge which match the photographs. I think we ought to widen the search, or get more accurate information.

gchq

Post by gchq »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Tue 11 Aug, 2020 7:29 pm
I am not convinced.
I am sure you are correct about the bungalow - although the Google one is a semi-detached - just an odd design.

At the time they were taken my mother was in Essex and didn't move until the house was ready to move into, so it's quite possible that my father took photos of houses for sale and because they are bunched together I assumed (yes, Ass) they were all the same location. The Google photo of 20, Craig Avenue does look familiar and I am totally sure the drive was to the left of the house. I was five at the time, and I suppose a little stressed about moving and then my parents splitting up within a month or two so memory is foggy.

To really nail the hat onto this one I have applied to the Courts for a transcript of the divorce. That will take several weeks, but then the property has to be mentioned and hopefully will put another issue to bed :-)

tomq

Post by tomq »

I have no such problems identifying childhood homes. My mother still lives in the same one we moved to when I was 8. I am now 71. Hope you get your answers.
Tom

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

This is just a note about the bus routes mentioned for those that are interested. These are the routes:

No. 1 Lawnswood – Beeston.
Otley Road, Headingley Lane, Woodhouse Lane, The Headrow, City Square, Bishopgate Street, Victoria Road, Meadow Road, Beeston Road, Town Street Beeston. Then return.
On journeys to Lawnswood, buses ran via Infirmary Street, East Parade, The Headrow, Cookridge Street.

No. 30 Central Bus Station - Ireland Wood.
Eastgate, The Headrow, Woodhouse Lane, Headingley Lane, Otley Road, Outer Ring Road, Spen Lane, Iveson Drive, Iveson Approach, Otley Old Road, Raynel Approach, Raynel Drive. Then return.

No. 33 Central Bus Station – Cookridge.
Eastgate, The Headrow, Woodhouse Lane, Headingley Lane, Otley Road, Otley Old Road, Cookridge Lane, Green Lane, Wood Hill Road. Then return.

No.36 Central Bus Station – Tinshill.
Eastgate, The Headrow, Woodhouse Lane, Headingley Lane, Otley Road, Otley Old Road, Tinshill Lane, Wood Nook Drive, Silk Mill Drive, Silk Mill Road. Then return.

I remember that until around 1960, these buses (30, 33 and 36) started and finished in Rockingham Street (now underneath the Merrion Centre which opened in 1964) and not the Central Bus Station.

No. 56 Central Bus Station – North Lane.
Eastgate, The Headrow, Woodhouse Lane, Clarendon Road, Moorland Road, Royal Park Road, Chestnut Avenue, Victoria Road, Cardigan Road, North Lane. Then return.

In 1958, when I first lived at Cookridge, the No. 33 Cookridge bus terminated at the junction of Otley Old Road/Cookridge Lane/Holt Lane/Tinshill Road. The bus reversed into Holt Lane and turned round. As the new houses were built in the area around Smithy Lane/Cookridge Avenue/Cookridge Lane the terminus moved to Cookridge Lane/Green Lane. The bus reversed into Green Lane to turn round. Then return.

A year or so later, the terminus moved to Green Lane/Moseley Wood Lane. The bus reversed into Moseley Wood Lane to turn round. As Moseley Woods were cleared and new houses built, the terminus then moved to (I think) Green Lane/Kirkwood Drive. The bus reversed into Kirkwood Drive to turn round. Then return.

In time, Green Lane was extended to link up with Wood Hill Road and the terminus moved again to (I think) Wood Hill Rise or Wood Hill Gardens. The bus reversed into one of these streets. Then return.

In those days, the No. 33 bus never went as far as Cookridge Drive/Cookridge Lane (opposite Modernians Sports Club), but always turned off into Green Lane.

Nowadays, I haven’t a clue which way the buses go in this area, or their relevant numbers. I don’t think that I have travelled on a bus in Leeds for over 40 years.

gchq

Post by gchq »

tomq wrote:
Tue 11 Aug, 2020 8:05 pm
I have no such problems identifying childhood homes. My mother still lives in the same one we moved to when I was 8. I am now 71. Hope you get your answers.
Hey Tom

I think I had moved at least 22 times by the time I was 18. Got most of them nailed down now.

Time is a strange beast. I can remember driving to Leeds with my wife to be and showing her one of the houses I lived at with my mother - very back to back and Coronation Street. We drove to the end of the road and back down another and stopped for a while. One of the old neighbours stuck his head out of the door, looked up and down the street and went back in. Seemed like time had stood still and nothing had changed, but in reality it was only seven years. The last seven years gone in the blink of an eye