Telephone numbers circa 1972

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
gchq

Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by gchq »

Hi there

I am trying to trace who the subscriber might have been for a phone number in 1972. I know they changed sometime after 1970 from five digits to six, and the way the number is written 'Leeds 67 2350' suggest it was not too long after that change.

There are telephone directories available online for the period, but not reverse ones (that I can find).

Does anyone know an archive resource, or a contact within BT, where this information could be obtained?

Thanks

iansmithofotley

Re: Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by iansmithofotley »

In 1958, my parents and I moved from from Woodhouse to a new house at Cookridge. Our phone number in Woodhouse was 23029 and our phone number at Cookridge was 672051. Numbers starting with 67 were generally in the Leeds 16 area. However, I know that some numbers in Alwoodley ( Leeds 17 area) also had 67 numbers but the majority of numbers in the Leeds 17 area started with 68. So I think that the six figure Leeds numbers started in the 1950's but I can't remember when the new numbers became seven figures, which usually started with a 2 prefix. Also, I thought that the 2 prefix emerged when the STD code changed, but I may be mistaken. The Ancestry website has records of Leeds telephone directories until 1984 but I don't know of a site where you can trace a name and address from a phone number.

iansmithofotley

I would add that I have just phoned 01132 672350 and the number rang, so it still exists (I didn't speak to anyone). If you want information, it is possible that the same people have the same number which they have had since 1972. You could give it a try ( unless this is your own current phone number).

iansmithofotley

Duplicate post (wonky forum).

jma

Post by jma »

In the 1950s we lived in the flat over a paint and wallpaper shop in Castleford where my mother was the manageress. The phone was Castleford 2096. It's now some sort of oriental eatery and the phone number still ends in 2096

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

iansmithofotley wrote:
Sat 08 Aug, 2020 11:11 am
I would add that I have just phoned 01132 672350 and the number rang, so it still exists (I didn't speak to anyone). If you want information, it is possible that the same people have the same number which they have had since 1972. You could give it a try ( unless this is your own current phone number).
Now that's what I call detective work Ian. I can't even remember my current mobile number :)
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

gchq

Post by gchq »

I would add that I have just phoned 01132 672350 and the number rang, so it still exists
Thank you - I just tried it and it just rang out, but I will keep trying. I was not sure of the current STD, so that really helped
In 1958, my parents and I moved from from Woodhouse to a new house at Cookridge.
My parents moved to a new bungalow in Cookridge in 1960!

iansmithofotley

This site might help on dates, relevent STD codes and number changes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... ed_Kingdom

In 1969, my wife and I bought our first house at Oulton in the Rothwell area. The phone number was 6984. Around 1971, the number was changed to 826984. I think that the 82 was the previous local area code for Rothwell from Leeds. I can't remember what the national STD code was at the time. The STD directory, at the time, showed 'national' codes and also a list of 'local' codes.

In 1977, we bought our current house in Otley and we had a four figure number. Within a couple of years, the number was made into six figures by prefixing the number with 46. We still have the same phone number, after 43 years, with a national STD code of 01943.

It shows that telephone numbers are changing or are made longer all of the time, as BT run out of numbers or as technology changes.

gchq

Post by gchq »

Thank you for that link...

It was only recently that I discovered my father was born in Ilkley - his would-have-been sister died, aged seven, at an accident in school a few months before he was born in 1928. At the moment the library in Ilkley is closed and that contains possibly the only information about her and that incident from the Ilkey Gazette

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Ian, I have a telephone bill dated 18th. January 1967. This was for the Highfield Hotel, South Ridge St, Leeds 11. (off Beeston ) Hill the bill is for £10. 1s. 8d. this includes 415 calls at 2d. Rental £4. and various calls via the Operator. The telephone number was 257 77186. The landlord at that time was a friend if mine Joe Hurd if you would like this i would post it to you as it is of no use to me.
When i got married in 1960 we had a phone installed and since then we moved twice but for the life of me i cannot recall any of them.