A major earthquake in the Aleutian Islands today (July 22 2020) detected near Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

A major earthquake in the Aleutian Islands today (July 22 2020) detected near Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

A major earthquake of magnitude 7.8 struck near the Aleutian Islands today (July 22 2020) at about 7:12 British Summer Time (6:12 GMT) and was detected at the British Geological Survey (BGS) site at Haverah Park just beyond north Leeds. At 7.8 magnitude that is very high even for World events. Though it happened about 5,000 miles away I thought (hoped!) it would be of interest to note even though it may not really be a Secret Leeds item as its detection shows how events very far away can be recorded locally with sensitive equipment. As far as I am aware there was no known effect locally. I have added a copy of the BGS recording.
AleutianIslandsEarthquakeJuly222020DetectedHaverahParkNearLeeds..jpg
AleutianIslandsEarthquakeJuly222020DetectedHaverahParkNearLeeds..jpg (286.52 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

TABBYCAT

Re: A major earthquake in the Aleutian Islands today (July 22 2020) detected near Leeds.

Post by TABBYCAT »

Leo, you are one hell of an archivist. Just like your photography we have time,date place the whole shebang.
Curious though,how the hell did you latch onto this?

Leodian

Re: A major earthquake in the Aleutian Islands today (July 22 2020) detected near Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

TABBYCAT wrote:
Wed 22 Jul, 2020 9:59 pm
Leo, you are one hell of an archivist. Just like your photography we have time,date place the whole shebang.
Curious though,how the hell did you latch onto this?
Hiya TABBYCAT :)

I regularly look at the following earthquake section in the BGS website http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/helicorder/heli.html
That has up to date information on UK and World earthquakes. To see the seismograms of non-local events the 'Very long period' view is needed and for local events the 'Short period' view. Clicking on the 'Earthquakes' on the top of the webpage will let you get the detailed information on an earthquake.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Thank you Leo, bookmarked for future reference.