YEP Online Piracy

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
buffaloskinner

YEP Online Piracy

Post by buffaloskinner »

YEP are now just letting you look at 5 pages per day unless you pay them £2 for the first month and then £7.99 after that per month.
Attachments
YEP Ripoff.jpg
YEP Ripoff.jpg (145.2 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Prices.PNG
Prices.PNG (33.61 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

chemimike

Re: YEP Online Piracy

Post by chemimike »

Not really surprising, as many other papers have imposed similar, or even stricter limits, a while ago

jma

Post by jma »

It can't be long now before newspapers - printed and online - go belly up.

I walk every day to the only newsagent in Gildersome for my morning paper and it's hardly worth his while to bother with newspapers and magazines. Many of the latter do specil cut-price offers for annual postal subscriptions so he stocks no special interest mags. All he has is the garbage with the scandal on "celebrities." eg Who's lost weight on Corry or fallen out with their ex on Eastenders. He stopped delivering papers when he couldn't recruit paperboys/girls and that must have prompted a lot of people to review their needs.

The daily papers rarely arrive much before 0800 and it's often later. The other Sunday they arrived at something like 1130, but he still gets charged for the "service" from the distributor/ wholesaler. I think he gets fewer than half-a-dozen Yorkshire Posts each day. I suspect it's only the lottery terminal that keeps him afloat, even though he's also become subpostmaster in the last few years.

So, I fear it's a vicious downward spiral. So many people get their "news" from social media.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

I have limited the YEP to 5 of my posts per day then they have to pay.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

If you know what you are doing you can probably get round it by regularly deleting the cookies on your device with the YEP domain. It is also per device so you can hit the limit of 5 on multiple devices.

Chrome definitely has an extension which lets you inspect, edit or delete cookies by website and I'd be surprised if Firefox, IE, Edge, Safari, Opera ..... didn't have similar.

As Chemimike points out though it is nothing different from most other "Newspapers". Their Print sales have fallen through the floor. as JMA initimates, and with it much of the ad revenue. They have therefore had to adapt to a different business model which is anything between wall to wall advertising but free to view and minimal adverts but with a subscription model. The wall to wall advertising can be so obtrusive it makes the actual content almost impossible to read particularly on mobile devices where the pop-ups and inserts make the text look like mexican jumping beans.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

In our local newspaper, Warrington Guardian, they allow you to read all of some stories and some are cut after a few lines. If you want unrestricted access you have to pay. I spend more time reading Yorkshire news than the tripe served up here.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Thu 16 Jul, 2020 8:25 am
If you know what you are doing you can probably get round it by regularly deleting the cookies on your device with the YEP domain. It is also per device so you can hit the limit of 5 on multiple devices.
Can't be bothered deleting cookies to read the outdated news they spew out. Its a rubbish design which a 5 year old could have done better.

So bye bye YEP :D
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?