Tv show cottingley

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tyke bhoy

Re: Tv show cottingley

Post by tyke bhoy »

Memory plays tricks. I can't remember whether the shop was a hairdressers either in reality or in Stay Lucky but pretty certain it wasn't both. I also seem to think it was the shop that in the google view is currently a hairdressers. It had presumably cheap, but not enough to be unrealistic, facia applied. I lived in Beeston at the time and travelled past on the No 1 bus route.

They also used some derelict land adjacent to Lodge Lane as a car park for all the support vehicles.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Tue 30 Jun, 2020 3:51 pm
Memory plays tricks. I can't remember whether the shop was a hairdressers either in reality or in Stay Lucky but pretty certain it wasn't both. I also seem to think it was the shop that in the google view is currently a hairdressers. It had presumably cheap, but not enough to be unrealistic, facia applied. I lived in Beeston at the time and travelled past on the No 1 bus route.

They also used some derelict land adjacent to Lodge Lane as a car park for all the support vehicles.
After a bit of research apparently the shop was called, in the series not in reality, Thomas Gynns (gwynn?) gorilla gram shop and was show in series 2 not 1 as I first thought.

A quote here taken from https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... _4mvbuL5NA

"Also "Stay Lucky" (Dennis Waterman and Jan Francis / Susan George / Leslie
Ash) - there were some very recognisable views of the city centre and Thomas
Gynn's gorrillagram shop (Series 2) was in Beeston, opposite a working men's
club. They made extensive use of the Armley Mills Industrial Museum in
Series 3. The only main location that wasn't in Leeds was Sally's canal
business, which was in Sowerby Bridge."

The working men's club referred to being Beeston Liberal club not Beeston working men's club.

I lived around the corner from the shops in Hill St from 65-82 hence my local knowledge, and although like you say the old the "fogettery" (sorry Jim!) can play tricks I still believe the shop in question was the one I stated earlier which back then didn't have the 2 knocked in to 1 large facade,(it later became a William Hills),and not the hairdressers which was the first one I ever saw named Kurl up n' dye which, upon checking street view, still is!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I've just looked in the Internet Movie Data Base website and in the information about Stay Lucky (1989-1993) it states the filming locations were Armley (including Armley Mills Industrial Museum), Clarence Dock in Leeds and Canal Basin in Sowerby Bridge.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Leodian wrote:
Tue 30 Jun, 2020 7:02 pm
I've just looked in the Internet Movie Data Base website and in the information about Stay Lucky (1989-1993) it states the filming locations were Armley (including Armley Mills Industrial Museum), Clarence Dock in Leeds and Canal Basin in Sowerby Bridge.
Yet for some strange reason it omits Beeston specifically, lumping it in as Leeds area in general, but it was most definitely filmed at the shop premises already mentioned in Beeston.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

TABBYCAT wrote:
Tue 30 Jun, 2020 8:16 pm
Leodian wrote:
Tue 30 Jun, 2020 7:02 pm
Yet for some strange reason it omits Beeston specifically, lumping it in as Leeds area in general, but it was most definitely filmed at the shop premises already mentioned in Beeston.
Hi TABBYCAT.

I noticed that it did not mention Beeston so do wonder why. I guess Beeston was thought to be part of Armley!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

I can only assume that the canal basin,Clarence dock and the industrial museum being actual nameable focal points were deemed more worthy than a humble shop in Beeston which,in fairness, to a film crew was just another street location amongst many in Leeds.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Tue 30 Jun, 2020 8:13 am
chemimike wrote:
Mon 29 Jun, 2020 10:15 pm
I think the Dennis Waterman one was in Moortown, with the house on the main Harrogate road on the right
Wasn't much of Stay Lucky filmed around a canal (obviously not Moortown ;) ) and a shop that appeared in it was on Beeston Hill just below Lodge Lane. Suffice is to say it was in and arround Leeds,
Sorry. I think I must have been thinking of another show, though not sure which one.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

chemimike wrote:
Wed 01 Jul, 2020 7:53 am

Sorry. I think I must have been thinking of another show, though not sure which one.
I'm not saying there wasn't a house in Moortown and the location details aren't all that accurate so hardly evidence that it wasn't. It is over 20 years since it first aired and almost 20 since last so I don't remember too much of it.

Fat Friends was a little later and filmed around North Leeds. Woodies Ale House and Bryans chippie in "Far" Headingley featured. The Cinder area on Woodhouse Moor was regularly used as overnight parking for the support vehicles. Maybe it was that? Plenty of other stuff filmed in and arround Leeds as the Leeds on fil thread testifies.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jma

Post by jma »

MiggyBill wrote:
Mon 29 Jun, 2020 6:35 pm
Do you mean, "Tina goes shopping?" There were scenes shot inside the Sphinx as it was then known as. Most of the film was shot in Halton Moor and South Leeds with a few professional actors along with many local characters basically playing themselves or people they knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfvEkROFiQI
I just watched the first part of that and it didn't look like shopping (excuse me if I say more like sh@99ing :shock: )

Drifting off thread it reminds me of something when Channel 4 was at the cutting edge of television, what my late mother-in-law callled 'smut.'

They gave a lot of advanced publicity to what they were billing as the first genuine sex act on the UK tele. The amateur stars lived just up our street and in due course, the TV vans all arrived. Inevitably, the publicity led to protests and Channel 4 ... er... pulled out that bit before transmission, although the rest of the programme wen ahead with, presumably, the bigger audience which had always been intended.

Another neighbour claimed to have been in the bank when Nobby (not his real name) was enquiring in vain if the fee had come.