Secret Leeds Website

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Re: Secret Leeds Website

Post by Leodian »

Hi blackprince :).

The search facility on such as Google is very good but I usually found that one on the Secret Leeds site was OK. Whenever I used Google I found that putting such as Aqueduct+Secret Leeds was sufficient though it will also bring up non-Secret Leeds sites in the list of results. For now at least though it seems, as you state, that there is no search facility on the Secret Leeds site.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

If you want to restrict it to just Secret Leeds you can put
site:secretleeds.com
in the search.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

is there a reason why some of the pages I want to look at are not on the Board Index list?
If I want to find something I usually go to the website page (Secret Leeds) that is saved in my favorites list.
I thought Google is for finding new sites, not ones that I have saved and use every day, I don't use Google as my search engine.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Fri 08 May, 2020 12:24 pm
Two of my favorite topics have disappeared from the lists
Other Stuff- General Chat Coal Mines in Leeds started Friday Jan 18th 2008
Buildings and Structures - Foundry Mill started Thursday November 24th 2015
I can find them with a google search, but cannot see them on the Secret Leeds site.
Is there an explanation?
warringtonrhino wrote:
Sat 09 May, 2020 9:51 am
is there a reason why some of the pages I want to look at are not on the Board Index list?
If I want to find something I usually go to the website page (Secret Leeds) that is saved in my favorites list.
I thought Google is for finding new sites, not ones that I have saved and use every day, I don't use Google as my search engine.
:?:

In order to alleviate the issue where most were not able to login to the site DCSO removed the customisation that made SL look the way it did and included the search box embedded in the site. It maybe has had one or two unforseen circumstances but it is still better that people can post at all.

I found Coal Mines at the top of the current page 4 viewforum.php?f=27&start=75 of the list of General Chat threads
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=794 Possibly because it has not been posted on in several years (2012) and there has been a couple of major site updates since then Foundry Mill was not where it should be. I have therefore "bumped" it and it is now top of the Buildings... thread list. It is entirely possible that both have had their URL amended slightly in restoring the Out of the box "skin".
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Sat 09 May, 2020 9:51 am
Yes this is how most of us do it by default but with a site this large and old it can be difficult to find threads or topics from long ago which we only half remember. For instance, I vaguely remember I once started a thread about a special train visiting Leeds City station in Coronation Year. It would be almost impossible to find that thread again without using a search engine. Using the site specific search described above I found it in a few seconds. It was posted in 2011 :!:

I thought Google is for finding new sites, not ones that I have saved and use every day
It will also find relevant content to your search terms within websites.

I don't use Google as my search engine.
Site specific search works with other search engines.
I used it with DuckDuckGo to find every reference to "foundry mill" in Secret Leeds. There were over 100 hits.

Just give it a try , type this in the search engine you do use

foundry mill site: secretleeds.com
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

The two pages that I said were not on the website page. re appeared back on the website pages once I had found them via my search engine.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Sun 10 May, 2020 11:40 am
The two pages that I said were not on the website page. re appeared back on the website pages once I had found them via my search engine.
All's well that ends well :D
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

LS2

Post by LS2 »

Hi, trying for the life of me to log in with my proper username - LS1 and password however it's not recognising me at all, can't do a password reset or contact anyone - the forms don't seem to work, just kick back error messages. Had to create a new profile to get a message though! Any ideas on how I can actually log in and the website recognise me (and the captcha)? Thanking you.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Ok so now it works :-(

tilly

Post by tilly »

Glad you got it sorted LS1 stay safe.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.