EVERY STREET - Newtown

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Did a quick search - can't see if its being mentionedbefore.Comments/Link off Leodis.Undated Green Road, number 185 is the shop belonging to Brizzolara and Plunkett, ice-cream makers. W. Williamson at 187 sells fish, poultry and fruit, a shop delivery bike is parked on the corner. Posters on the wall for Rowntrees Fruit Gums and Empire Theatre, Leeds, where Al Martino is appearing. There was a popular joke, used on strangers to the area, where it was boasted that the joker had visited 'Every Street' in Leeds. This was the Newtown/Burmantofts clearance area, photo taken in the mid 1950s.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Useless information time: Al Martino sang "Here in my Heart", which was the first ever Top of the Hit Parade.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Uno Hoo wrote: Useless information time: Al Martino sang "Here in my Heart", which was the first ever Top of the Hit Parade. Bit more useless info - he played Johnny Fontaine the crooner in The Godfather.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Si

Post by Si »

Hope you don't mind Dogduke, but I've taken the liberty of posting your Leodis picture.
Attachments
__TFMF_3o04qb45qgkolv55em3zg3mi_ccbda18e-35fa-41ca-9379-9913851161a5_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_3o04qb45qgkolv55em3zg3mi_ccbda18e-35fa-41ca-9379-9913851161a5_0_main.jpg (62.1 KiB) Viewed 3707 times

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Dogduke,I can remember a Brizzolara ice cream man in Woodhouse in the late 1940's/early 1950's. He used to push the ice cream around in a large, box type, barrow. He was a short stocky man and he was, in fact, blind. People would go out for an ice cream or with a container, such as a pint glass or a jug, which would be filled. Nobody had fridges in those days.Ian

gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

dogduke wrote: Did a quick search - can't see if its being mentionedbefore.Comments/Link off Leodis.Undated Green Road, number 185 is the shop belonging to Brizzolara and Plunkett, ice-cream makers. W. Williamson at 187 sells fish, poultry and fruit, a shop delivery bike is parked on the corner. Posters on the wall for Rowntrees Fruit Gums and Empire Theatre, Leeds, where Al Martino is appearing. There was a popular joke, used on strangers to the area, where it was boasted that the joker had visited 'Every Street' in Leeds. This was the Newtown/Burmantofts clearance area, photo taken in the mid 1950s.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL My dad was telling me exactly this not long ago regards 'Every Street'. This was his stomping ground as a kid.Just a question, am I right in thinking it was at the side of the Beckett wing of Jimmy's Nr. the rec?

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

every Street joned onto Green Road(now Lincoln G Rd)3rd street in from the Beckett Street Jn,lower downthan Primrose hill School.So - I reckon today it would haave been roundabout where he maisonettes which face onto LG Rd and the former Granville pub(now a supermarket).I don't think Beckett st is much wider now than it was then.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

obhgis

Re: EVERY STREET - Newtown

Post by obhgis »

Hello, I'm new here to secret Leeds. I'm looking for info on Haymount St in Newtown Leeds.
The 1911 census has my Great Great Grandfather John Clayton living at 19 Haymount St. He had a fish and chip business somewhere near by
Other family members that would have also lived there were Selina Clayton, Mabel Clayton, George Clayton, William Henry Clayton and Minnie Clayton.
Any info would be appreciated

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Some photos on Leodis
https://tinyurl.com/vhw9nas

The fish shop was at 46 Lincoln Field Row

1908 Directory
Screenshot (9).png
Screenshot (9).png (92.68 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
Side by side map for Haymount Street
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb

tilly

Post by tilly »

Good one uncle mick.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.