Furs of Fish Street

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Here's another one... View looking north along east side of Lands Lane. People and traffic. Ross furs, Thorntons arcade, Mabane boot and shoe dealers, Mallories wine and spirit merchants and Benefit footwear visible. Headrow visible at end of street.
Attachments
__TFMF_lbbrcp55trfajw55qdhf5k55_7932478e-23c9-4a87-99e1-4ed459ce640b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_lbbrcp55trfajw55qdhf5k55_7932478e-23c9-4a87-99e1-4ed459ce640b_0_main.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 3471 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

The name of the other shoe shop opposite Ravel finally came to me today. It was Sacha Shoes. Not bad. Only took five years for that memory to surface.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I like Chrism's photo. I bet with more people now shopping at out of town centres that the shops in the centre of Leeds now would love to see such a throng of people around.    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

[email protected]

Re:

Post by [email protected] »

Geordie-exile wrote:
Tue 10 Feb, 2009 12:02 am
We've done many a thread about the likes of Marshall & Snelgrove, Van Allen. Amber Fashions etc. but I don't recall us mentioning this shop. I wonder how much call there was for musquash among the 'great and the good' before the backlash came.There was another fur and leather shop on Commercial Street too, opposite what used to be Ravel. A couple of shops back from H Samuel on Briggate. D'oh, now I'm trying to remember the name of Ravel's rival outrageous shoe shop fairly opposite. I used to go a gym upstairs called Butterflies with a single door entrance between the shops.    
Was the shoe shop called Sasha's?

String o' beads

Re: Furs of Fish Street

Post by String o' beads »

Yes - but if you scroll back a couple of posts you'll see I remembered that myself in 2014. Thanks though!

:lol:

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Didn't there used to be a fur shop right on t'corner of Call Lane and Lower Briggate?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Who'd have thought we needed so many fur shops in Leeds back then. Before global warming we all used to dress up like Eskimos. There were beaver trappers in Roundhay Park and Nanook of the North lived in Harehills :)
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!