Transformation work of The Headrow, Leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Re: Transformation work of The Headrow, Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

Digging work is going on and piles of bricks can be seen along The Headrow. This is a photo of a pile that I took (through the security fence mesh) on October 3 2019 at the junction with Albion Street. It's was hard though to take good photos as security fencing successfully stopped me from getting nearer to the brick piles!
One think I noticed at this pile was that there were a number of cream bricks and on the whole ones it stated 'Cliff' so I assume that was the brick maker. There was also a shaped cream masonry block (it is seen in the photo) that might have been part of a nice feature on a building (the white thing to its left is litter). A trench near by (just seen in the photo) had what looked to be the remains of a finely built wall (possibly an inside one?) of almost tile-like white bricks but I could not get a good shot of that trench.
PileOfBricksTheHeadrowByAlbionStreetOct032019..jpg
PileOfBricksTheHeadrowByAlbionStreetOct032019..jpg (200.64 KiB) Viewed 6310 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Williamson Cliff Ltd Wortley 1906-71

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Fri 04 Oct, 2019 1:08 pm
Williamson Cliff Ltd Wortley 1906-71
Thanks warringtonrhino for that information :).

I would guess that most (if not all) of the bricks were made nearer to 1906 than 1971.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The exposed piping in the stretch along The Headrow from Vicar Lane to Briggate/New Briggate is being covered over. This is a photo I took from near Vicar Lane on October 8 2019. Unless the utilities companies do something soon I would guess it could be many decades before the pipes are 'found' again!
WorkOnTheHeadrowLeedsFromNearVicarLaneOct082019..jpg
WorkOnTheHeadrowLeedsFromNearVicarLaneOct082019..jpg (209.71 KiB) Viewed 5894 times

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

The Yorkshire Evening Post has only just realized that this project is underway!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Wed 09 Oct, 2019 1:09 pm
The Yorkshire Evening Post has only just realized that this project is underway!
Thanks warringtonrhino for bringing that to my attention :).
I found a brief mention of the item in the YEP website but the link in that to the full report was dead every time I tried to access it during the afternoon and up to at least when I posted this. Hopefully it will not be dead much longer.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are 2 photos that I took today (October 10 2019) that show what seems to be the remains of a cream brick surface with a brick wall behind. They are in the trench near Albion Street that I mentioned in my post of October 4 that I was not able to get a reasonable photo on October 3. In a more recently dug trench nearby I saw at least 3 pale green patterned tiles among some dug out bricks. In larger numbers they would have looked very nice where they had once been located (I could not get a reasonable photo of them).

I have just checked and found that the link to the YEP report is still dead.

I hope my continued posting of photos of the work is of interest and has not been or has become boring.
WorkOnTheHeadrowLeedsNearAlbionStreetOct102019(1)..jpg
WorkOnTheHeadrowLeedsNearAlbionStreetOct102019(1)..jpg (195.48 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
WorkOnTheHeadrowLeedsNearAlbionStreetOct102019(2)..jpg
WorkOnTheHeadrowLeedsNearAlbionStreetOct102019(2)..jpg (212.62 KiB) Viewed 5686 times

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

QUOTE.
"I hope my continued posting of photos of the work is of interest and has not been or has become boring."

Boring? You have got to be joking Leo.

This is work of historical importance. Unlike Eric doo daa who photographed half of Leeds without even bothering to date or place said work hence half of the Leodis "can you help" page being filled with his work, your contributions are a Godsend to future historians what with their accurate chronological reportage and indeed a revelation to this forum.

I would never have guessed that a major thoroughfare in Leeds had glazed brick as a foundation.

Please please continue with your photographic works.

Regards.

Tabby.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leodian wrote:
Thu 10 Oct, 2019 8:27 pm
These are 2 photos that I took today (October 10 2019) that show what seems to be the remains of a cream brick surface with a brick wall behind. They are in the trench near Albion Street that I mentioned in my post of October 4 that I was not able to get a reasonable photo on October 3. In a more recently dug trench nearby I saw at least 3 pale green patterned tiles among some dug out bricks. In larger numbers they would have looked very nice where they had once been located (I could not get a reasonable photo of them).

I have just checked and found that the link to the YEP report is still dead.

I hope my continued posting of photos of the work is of interest and has not been or has become boring.

WorkOnTheHeadrowLeedsNearAlbionStreetOct102019(1)..jpg
WorkOnTheHeadrowLeedsNearAlbionStreetOct102019(2)..jpg
Probably these are the remnants of the Leeds & Holbeck BS which stood on this corner

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Tabbycat (Tabby) for your kind words :).

PS. Your "I would never have guessed that a major thoroughfare in Leeds had glazed brick as a foundation" helped me because when I posted about such as 'tile-like white bricks' and 'cream bricks' I could not think of the much better 'glazed bricks'. It's funny how a mind (well mine ;)) can go blank when trying to think of a word or particular thing. For example when watching a film or a program on television I often recognise someone but cannot bring their name to mind yet I can name the other actors!
Last edited by Leodian on Fri 11 Oct, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.