fish and Chips

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
TABBYCAT

Re: fish and Chips

Post by TABBYCAT »

QUOTE.

"I'm sorry to Disagree also with last comment but presuming N Norfolk you mean Cromer? Who charges £12 for once never seen that and they wouldnt still be trading if charged that amount."

No Mick a bit more upmarket than Cromer. I would say where but still have family there, and trust me, as I'm not given to lying, I have been charged that and the premises concerned are still very much in business. ;)
I'm also familiar with your part of the world as brother in law had a cottage in Hickling Broad before he sold it to live elsewhere in Norfolk and don't doubt the local prices you mention so would appreciate the same courtesy. :)

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thank you all for your great replies, as the weather was so bad (weather and rain) all the way we checked into our hotel first. The Waterwheel at South Milford great place, unlike the Hilton at Garforth (wot a dump) As our lass was shattered from driving we gave the Skyliner another chance and was very pleased, it was nearly empty but the waitress said that it was because of the ladies football England v Scotland was in progress The fish and chips were lovely costing £17.50 including a tip for the waitress. We staggered back to the Hotel and were in kip by about 8.pm. If we had eaten them in the car the cost would have only been £5.50.each.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jack glad every thing was ok pity about the weather not June weather thats for sure.Hope you got to see every thing you wanted to all the best Sid.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thanks tilly
On the Monday am. we went again to visit my sister Mary who is in a Nursing home Colton Lodge on the Ring Road. we also went to visit my late brothers daughter Sarah in Morley. then we had to get to Rawdon
to Rawdon to collect some curtains my wife had bought on e,bay because they were Laura Ashley
and were the same pattern as ones we had at home. What we did not know that when we bid the £20
we would get them and just how much material there was this place was like a small Mansion.
All this was conducted in driving rain and spray . Next we called back to see my sister who is extremely ill
and most of tht patients will not come out i don't think. There were a few poor folks stagering about
and as we went in there was an old lad with walking sticks and just to be friendly i asked him how he was
where he used to live as i guessed most of them had lived local at some time or other. He said
Coldcotes Circus. I said Gipton Estate and said he was born there , i said that i was also
My missus in all innocence asked what is it like in here? He replied " Itsl like a F..ing Concentration camp"

tilly

Post by tilly »

Well Jack his comment proves he was from Gipton.so sorry to hear about your sister.You can tell your a Leeds lad making that journey to see your sister. It seems like some of the younger ones arnt that bothered once they leave home we were brought up at a different time.All the best Sid.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thanks for those kind words Pal,
My Sis is in a nIce place with clean sheets, nice staff and well tended gardens etc. The sad thing is that she and all the others in there are like the song by the Eagles "Hotel California" where they check in but they can never leave.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jack I have one sister we would do anything to help each other if needs be.We stem from a different time a time when no one had much has in possessions but were in most cases happy with there lot.In Hunslet were i lived every one helped each other the elderly were treated with respect and in the majority of cases familys were very close this has had a knock on effect on me and how i have treated people all my life. I digress back to fish and erks as we used to call them please dont ask me why the answer has faded into the mists of time along with most of my brain cells.Ha.Ha.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Forgot to tell you about one of my sisters daughters Agela who lives in Aspen Calafornia with her husband and twins. she came overto see her mother and brought one of the twins Charlie with her. Bearing in mind they live in a house designed and built by her husband Charles in the most beautiful settings of snowy mountains . The family took him to Scarboro and even though he is eight years old he has never seen the sea. thwy had fish and chips,tea bread and butter. he could not wait to get on the phone to let his dad know what the seaside was like.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Wow i never saw the sea until i went to Silverdales Holiday Camp in Morecambe Bay i was eleven at the time my mum bless her thought she was doing me a favour.It was for underprivileged children to cut a long story short to me it was like borstal i paled up with another lad and we did a runner the police brought us back to the camp how we expected to get back to Leeds i dont know another snippet of my eventful life. :lol: :lol:

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Pedant alert but before the geography Police arrive. Aspen is in Colorado unless there is a lesser known version in the state of California. If it is the Colorado version it will be about 1000 miles from the pacific (the nearest "sea"
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/