LOCATION OF TRAM ON STREET LANE LS8

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Brunel

LOCATION OF TRAM ON STREET LANE LS8

Post by Brunel »

This picture appeared on social media. Tram on Street Lane LS8, travelling towards Moortown. I am attempting to positively identify the location. I suspect that the houses shown, have now been demolished.
Attachments
OLD TRAM STREET LANE.jpg
OLD TRAM STREET LANE.jpg (405.56 KiB) Viewed 5528 times

hyperion3

Re: LOCATION OF TRAM ON STREET LANE LS8

Post by hyperion3 »

I think the tram has just passed Devonshire Ave,The very tall gatepost may belong to children's home.The coping stone looks very similar to the the one outside the dry cleaners.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

This is a view from DEVONSHIRE AVE The gateposts from the old home are further down.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.84483 ... 2?hl=en-GB

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

I think this could be the junction of Sutherland Avenue and Street Lane. The houses on the left have mostly been turned into shops / commercial properties, however there is still a couple sporting very similar bay windows to the houses in the pic. Could be wrong but worth investigating?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I'd say Devonshire Avenue is the more likely eased on streetview and my observations of the original picture.

It isn't just perspective (see the stone wall directly opposite the junction) but we are looking up more than just a slight slope.

Also, and I have no idea of the tram route in the vicinity, is that a spur joining/leaving Street Lane at the junction? There is a band of lighter cobbles that the lady is watching from and especially approaching the tracks, we know are there, there are marks in the cobbles that could also be tracks.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

At this time the tram service terminated near Talbot Road. It was a direct route from Roundhay.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Was there ever a spur? Shadwell?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

@ tyke bhoy: NO.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Looks like Park Lane out of view on the bottom right, and Ingledew Drive is the entrance to the road on the left. At this time the properties on the other side of West Park Place have yet to be built. The tram looks to be covering the entrance to where West Park Place was to be/ in the process of being laid out.