Woodhouse Feast / Armley Feast etc.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
BIG N

Post by BIG N »

fred miller wrote: hi armley feast was cancilled at last min due to the fact that marshall waddington decided to book the fair with the showmens guild and not turn up since then he and other tenents of the fair have billed for not attending First I find this excellent site, then a few days later I find a thread on something that used to be a massive part of my life, then I find a good friend of mine from those days posts in here as well.Hi Fred - It's Nigel here, Sib's mate that used to work for Herbie Hirst and before that Mr Waddington himself - hows the slide mate ??

fred miller

Post by fred miller »

BIG N wrote: fred miller wrote: hi armley feast was cancilled at last min due to the fact that marshall waddington decided to book the fair with the showmens guild and not turn up since then he and other tenents of the fair have billed for not attending First I find this excellent site, then a few days later I find a thread on something that used to be a massive part of my life, then I find a good friend of mine from those days posts in here as well.Hi Fred - It's Nigel here, Sib's mate that used to work for Herbie Hirst and before that Mr Waddington himself - hows the slide mate ?? now nigil hows the home movies doing my slide is still going im on dewsbury now call in one day i'm knocking around most days good to here from you regards fred
ftmiller

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Might just do that Fred, or if not I will see you on a Gaff somewhere mate.

fred1935

Post by fred1935 »

Armley Feast. I too remember it well. The ride that stands out for me was the Columbia and Shamrock, was one of the years highlights in our young days. My last visit I must have been 17, (before my national service) my mate his young aunt who incidentally was my lifelong best friend and after this night I didn't see her for 40 years but thats another story. I won a treaset and gave it to her as she was engaged at the time.
EX, Goole. Leeds, Normanton, Adelaide, Normanton, Keighley.    Armley Lad

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

skippy wrote: anyone remember hunslet feast ? it was on hunslet moor on either side of the road it used to start on the last day of july for 2 week it was great with the speedway waltzers and the shamrock and all the side stalls the brandy snap was my favourite and the hotdogs i can smell them now!!! I remember going to Hunslet Feast in about 1961/2. It was held on the land that adjoined the Hunslet RLFC (Parkside) Ground. The reason it so sticks in my memory is because the "steam yachts" "Shamrock and Columbia" were there, and I went on them. We held on to the netting at the back, in order to show off to the girls. I believe they are now only seen at vintage steam fairs. But Hunslet Feast sticks in my memory. I remember going to Holbeck Feast as a kid, but couldn't say where it was held. "Feast" is the name for the annual holiday in the mill towns of the West Riding (like Wakes Week in Lancashire) and the name became the same for the travelling fairs that came to the various towns, . Morley's "Feast Weeks" were the second and third in August and the fair (feast) came to the "Dartmouth" which is at the bottom of Bruntcliffe Lane, but it wasn't as big or spectacular as Hunslet Feast. I remember once going to the end of season fair at Hull which was pretty big.
Industria Omnia Vincit

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Holbeck feast was probably held on Holbeck Moor much of which probably disappeared under the M621
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

This is well off topic, and a very delayed response to Simon's comments above, but I just came across them again, and thought I should probably respond. SimonM wrote: seems very strange that a person is banned, for no real reason and the nall the posts is a particualr threead dissapear as well...You don't wear a black suit and drive round in a ford Lincoln continental by any chance??? Simon you are indeed a paranoid android. A few points to make:i) You don't know why Jan got banned, so you really aren't in a position to say whether it was for a 'real reason' or not. Besides which, it's at the discretion of me and Munki as site admins. Rest assured her behaviour was extremely inflammatory and more than warranted a ban, but I consider it a private matter and don't wish to discuss it further. Frankly I don't think it's fair to discuss it without Jan having the ability to defend herself anyway - and no, before you ask, I won't be inviting her back onto SL.com to do so, because...ii) Since the two individuals got banned from the site there have been pretty much no issues with content on the site. This in itself should indicate something about where the previous problems stemmed from.iii) Finally, I'd like to repeat that neither munki nor I deleted any of Jan's posts. I am disappointed that you won't simply take my word for it but there we are. After repeated threats to remove Jan if she did not moderate her behaviour, she herself went onto SL and deleted a number of her own posts before we banned her profile. If you have a look she didn't manage to delete all of them, either because her profile was banned before she managed it, or more likely she just got bored. As someone said earlier, it was very much a case of 'throwing her dummy out of the pram'. This attitude didn't really surprise me though, having had some experience of her more unpleasant side.So...The content on this site is ultimately my responsibility Simon, and somehow I can't imagine that this issue was keeping you awake at night like it was me (and it really was, believe me.)Munki and I took action to ensure that SecretLeeds remained open and welcoming to as many people as possible. We were at one point very inclined to simply shut the entire site down because of the unpleasantness and stress certain individuals were causing. Obviously we really didn't want to do this, so instead we banned the problem people, and lo and behold, there have been no problems since.I really hope this clears the issue up for you. And if this is already gone and long forgotten, then I apologise for dragging it up again.However - if you do want to discuss it any further, I'll buy you a pint at the next SL do and we can talk it through like civilised gents Cheers,dsco    
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Anyway, back on topic - the reason I returned to this thread was because I called Kirkstall Festival 'Kirkstall Feast' the other day and got blank looks from the organisers and the area management team. Bloomin foreigners - I'll show them I thought!So, I'm off to do a bit of feast research... see if I can replace some of Jan's deleted info (not that I can really remember what any of it was now, which is a shame.)Will update sometime soon...dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Woodhouse Feast Sept 1955C. Burley Oral History Group

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Burgered that one up! Clicked on wrong pic!Wood'us Feast agen(Hope!