fish and Chips

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

fish and Chips

Post by volvojack »

We are drivinng up to Leeds this week and need to be recommended to a Good fish and chip restaurant as last time the "Sky Liner" was poor (wonder if it had changed hands) also somewhere to eat Pub style. Help.........

tilly

Re: fish and Chips

Post by tilly »

The Bearded Sailor in Pudsey is good only a small cafe but nicely done out it came second in the fish shop of the year.Its over the road from Bentleys butchers there pork pies take some beating if you like a pork pie give them a try.Just near the town hall a car park is next to the fish shop.To me this fish shop is better than the Wetherby Whaler fish restaurant also in Pudsey. :D :D
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hello tilly,
Thanks agaian Pal for a prompt reply but we are really looking for somewhere in Leeds and maybe open on a Sunday
hope you and yours are well. V. Jack

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

It seems that today June 7th. is National fish and chip day, but not down here in the West Country.
It is like ordering in Hong Kong. "Woh you Woh" "Co Chip"
Fish fried with the skin still inside and out of the same pan as other foods Ugh.

jma

Post by jma »

volvojack wrote:
Fri 07 Jun, 2019 12:55 pm
Hello tilly,
Thanks agaian Pal for a prompt reply but we are really looking for somewhere in Leeds and maybe open on a Sunday
Showing your age there, Jack. Pudsey has been part of Leeds for just over 45 years. ;)

Fings ain't wot they used ter be, and unfortunately fish and chips tends to be in that category.

We've found that they still do good fish and chips at the seaside, particularly in Norfolk. Last time we went, there was still a great chip shop in Docking, which is a couple of miles inland. The lady behind the counter said "Please tell all your friends that from tomorrow we will be frying new potatoes" to which I replied "I'll make sure as many people as possible in Leeds are aware of that." :lol:

I ope you enjoy this trip and many more of them.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thanks for your reply Jack i tend not to go into the center it not the city i was brought up in.Its not that i cant afford to shop there but its far to yuppy for me it caters for the people who can afford to live in the center i think thats why the market is how it is thats my opinion no doubt i will be shot down in flames but thats how i see it.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

jma wrote:
Fri 07 Jun, 2019 4:07 pm
volvojack wrote:
Fri 07 Jun, 2019 12:55 pm
Hello tilly,
Showing your age there, Jack. Pudsey has been part of Leeds for just over 45 years. ;)

Fings ain't wot they used ter be, and unfortunately fish and chips tends to be in that category.

We've found that they still do good fish and chips at the seaside, particularly in Norfolk. Last time we went, there was still a great chip shop in Docking, which is a couple of miles inland. The lady behind the counter said "Please tell all your friends that from tomorrow we will be frying new potatoes" to which I replied "I'll make sure as many people as possible in Leeds are aware of that." :lol:

I ope you enjoy this trip and many more of them.
Sorry to disagree but about the seaside bit vastly overrated for some reason in my opinion, justifying the day out perhaps?(our family from North Norfolk) but dried out manky battered bottom feeding cod cooked in some nondescript oil by non fish friers (usually students on summer jobs with zilch interest in what they are doing) will never compare to to lovely beef dripping cooked haddock found in northern quarters at half the price, £12 for once anyone which consists of a stickleback sized piece of rubber with a small portion of tasteless (pig tatty)chips!?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thank you for the great replies, we will certainly find one of these and then let you know our opinion of it.

When I was lad there good fish and chip shops everywhere in every district. Our nearest was "Knights" in Theodore St. Beeston and Mother and daughter served in the shop whilst you never saw Mr. Knight only the sound of his chipper . About 9pm he would emerge and slowly walk up to the Off Licence on the corner carrying a large Jug a this would be filled with draught beer as most of then had a set of pumps. He would go between the shop window and the house. Guzzle it down and then go back in for a refill. Then he would stagger back down to his cellar, to chip away. Always good Fish and Chips.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Sadly Jack the fish shop in Theodore street is now closed but park fisheries just above Cross Flatts Park are excellent.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

TABBYCAT wrote:
Sat 08 Jun, 2019 1:06 pm
Sadly Jack the fish shop in Theodore street is now closed but park fisheries just above Cross Flatts Park are excellent.

We used to go in there many years agoand they were nice then. they used to have a collection box for animals to be trained to for the blind. they used to have pictures on the walls .

Thanks for the memory TabbyCat.