Where's This ??

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
uncle mick

Where's This ??

Post by uncle mick »

This is from a Facebook page run by the YEP & I quote "We rewind to March 1973 in this photograph. But we do not know the where in the city it was taken" \
\
52522605_10156331160583512_4552743656783609856_o.jpg
52522605_10156331160583512_4552743656783609856_o.jpg (381.86 KiB) Viewed 4783 times

tilly

Re: Where's This ??

Post by tilly »

Whats getting me is the country side at the end of the street i cant think were this could be.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

My first question would be are the YEP actually sure it is Leeds? I seem to remember we have had a question before involving a shop front which I think turned out to be Nottingham.

If it is Leeds then the only place I could think would remotely fit is looking up towards Beeston from the stretch of Elland Road approaching Wesley Street from Top Moor Side/Cemetery Road. I am old enough to vaguely remember terraced houses on either side of the bottom of Wesley Street but I don’t remember how far they stretched back along Elland Road towards Leeds. I know it will have been as far as the McDonalds but were the industrial units further toward Leeds built on “slum clearance”? It wouldn’t have to be too far for the Sunnyviews to be obscured by the houses but then I’d expect to see the wall that still separates the green space on that hillside from the Nosters/Marleys unless it was far enough along to be looking up towards the back of the Cemetery. There is a playground there now but I don’t know how long it goes back. There is also the football pitch and I believe that would predate a 1973 photo but it too might be out of sight behind the houses on the right as we are looking.

My grandfather built my sister and I an almost exact replica of the wheelbarrow the kids are playing with but it definitely isn’t us. The wheels on our barrow were smaller and we would both have been a little bigger by 73
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jim

Post by jim »

Going by the vehicle registrations, I think the view is probably Leeds or somewhere nearby.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

My first thoughts were off Meanwood Road, such as the Cliffdales, with Sugar Well Hill in the background. I have checked old maps but can't find a street, that resembles the one in the photograph, to fit. I agree that the registration number of the white three wheeler was a Leeds number (contains UM). The Cortina on the left has an old West Riding number (contains WU).

jma

Post by jma »

No brainwaves from me.

I took it that the car at the back with the plate partly hidden was Leeds reg PUG ??? G I know that's a possible combination because my parents owned PUG 570 G. Looking at other details, I don't remember the first generation of electric lights in Leeds ie the replacements for gas lamps having heads like those, although my memory is evidence of not much these days.

The only terrace streets I can think of going off Elland Road and up the hill were IIRC the Hoxtons. We used to spend a lot of time and effort on match days with "no waiting" cones trying to control parking. My memory is of a street running at right angles to Elland Road and roughly parallel to Wesley Street but I think all the houses were on short side streets leading off on its right towards Wesley Street.

I'm also baffled by the structure beyond the fence/gate at the top of the street.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

This is a link to Google Maps, on Dewsbury Road. What used to be here before they built four lanes of dual carriageway?https://goo.gl/maps/Ed9cd2vjMur
Last edited by Bruno on Thu 21 Feb, 2019 11:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
The older I get, the better I was.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

jma wrote:No brainwaves from me.

I took it that the car at the back with the plate partly hidden was Leeds reg PUG ??? G I know that's a possible combination because my parents owned PUG 570 G. Looking at other details, I don't remember the first generation of electric lights in Leeds ie the replacements for gas lamps having heads like those, although my memory is evidence of not much these days.

The only terrace streets I can think of going off Elland Road and up the hill were IIRC the Hoxtons. We used to spend a lot of time and effort on match days with "no waiting" cones trying to control parking. My memory is of a street running at right angles to Elland Road and roughly parallel to Wesley Street but I think all the houses were on short side streets leading off on its right towards Wesley Street.

I'm also baffled by the structure beyond the fence/gate at the top of the street.
I'm sure this picture has come to light before but cannot quite put my finger on it. I do know that it's not Beeston and the only bit of trivia I can add is the street lights are a 1950's GEC design (Z series) the posts were colloquially called concrete swans by the engineers erecting them.(source family member in the trade retired)

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

The Terrace houses in the picture are divided but the "Hoxtons and the Canonburys " at the bottom of Wesley Street were not as I recall. I really don't think it is anywhere in Beeston.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Can't put a location to this as yet but working on it. I think these houses are through terrace not back to back, notice the lack of outside toilets and there are no toilet stacks on any of the houses. Another thing, this seems to be a longer street than appears, kerb showing on bottom left. Also the configuration of ten houses, space then five houses. If they were back to backs they would have been very small one up one downs.