Pine Court, Kirkgate.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
buffaloskinner

Re: Pine Court, Kirkgate.

Post by buffaloskinner »

Taken from Leodis

Top. 1928 - Entrance to Pine Court on Kirkgate. On the right is number 84 Kirkgate P. Cornick optician, with the former premises of Charles Clayforth, Wholesale grocers to the left.

Bottom. 1936 - Kirkgate junction with Wharf Street. On corner is L. Vaux wholesaler at number 77. The railway bridge is overhead, then at 82 is E. Jackson and Co Scalemakers. George Woodhead and son, seed manufacturers is at number 83, next is the entrance to Pine Court.

:arrow:
Attachments
Pine Court 03.jpg
Pine Court 03.jpg (44.14 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
Pine Court 04.jpg
Pine Court 04.jpg (26.85 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

warringtonrhino wrote:No 83 Kirkgate was George Woodhead & Sons seed merchants. It was next to the entrance to Pine Court.
Also in the bottom of Kirkgate was Scarrs hardware and ironmongers, they sold garden tools
I think I remember Scarrs having a large stall in the Kirgate Market at one time, maybe 20 years ago?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Wow i was right on both counts re shop and bus depot i must have more brain cells left than i thought.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

The Bus Station on Cross York Street, just for Sid

Attachments
Bus Station..JPG
Bus Station..JPG (541 KiB) Viewed 4698 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

buffaloskinner wrote:The Bus Station on Cross York Street, just for Sid

I remember this bus station from the early 60s. I was an apprentice at Miggy Pit and did 6 months technical training at a training centre at Crigglestone Colliery. I used to get the bus, number 11 I think, to Kettlethorpe and walk down the hill to Crigglestone, and obviously the return journey, every day except day release day at Wakefield Mining and Art College.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

buffaloskinner wrote:On the 1901 census Pine Court was also known as Maudes Yard.
There was just eight people living there in two houses.

I wonder if Maudes Yard and the fairly close Maude Street are named after a Leeds person of note? I have tried searches (but not in great depth) but have not found any information on such a person. Does anyone know anything about Maude or a source of information?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In the first post in this thread I added a link to this image dated September 22 1999 in Leodis that showed the entry/exit of Pine Court http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL.

Noticing that the name Roxby Café can be made out in that image I’ve done a Secret Leeds search and found that in a post by Blakey on Tue May 25, 2010 9:23 pm in a 'Caffs and Greasy Spoons' thread he stated "Another top class place, not exactly a transport cafe, was the Roxby - it was upstairs over the alleyway that led from Kirkgate to the rear of Wallace Arnold's coach station. They served fabulous breaKfasts and really great "home cooked" three course lunches”.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="buffaloskinner"]The Bus Station on Cross York Street, just for Sid

Great Picture,
Is that Sid sat on the wall waiting for his Bus ??
That building behind was "Modern Floorcovering Company"where i worked after we moved from North Street.
The Sign is just visible, although that is a side street, mainly small tailoring firms were situated there (It was not a through street.
Our Carpet firm on Cross York St. stretched virtually all the way along and opposite were small independent Wholesale butchers. The large Slaughter house opposite on York St. attracted thousands of rats in the basement and i knew that from going down there with a couple of Market Porters. Wholesale fruit and veg. Traders kept their Crates/boxes etc down there.

tomq

Post by tomq »

Leodian wrote:
buffaloskinner wrote:On the 1901 census Pine Court was also known as Maudes Yard.
There was just eight people living there in two houses.

I wonder if Maudes Yard and the fairly close Maude Street are named after a Leeds person of note? I have tried searches (but not in great depth) but have not found any information on such a person. Does anyone know anything about Maude or a source of information?
Possibly the Maudes of Middleton Lodge - https://middletonlife.wordpress.com/201 ... rks-story/
Tom

LS1

Post by LS1 »

volvojack wrote:
buffaloskinner wrote:The Bus Station on Cross York Street, just for Sid

Great Picture,
Is that Sid sat on the wall waiting for his Bus ??
That building behind was "Modern Floorcovering Company"where i worked after we moved from North Street.
The Sign is just visible, although that is a side street, mainly small tailoring firms were situated there (It was not a through street.
Our Carpet firm on Cross York St. stretched virtually all the way along and opposite were small independent Wholesale butchers. The large Slaughter house opposite on York St. attracted thousands of rats in the basement and i knew that from going down there with a couple of Market Porters. Wholesale fruit and veg. Traders kept their Crates/boxes etc down there.
Building is still there, peeping out behind the newer shops/ Coop. https://goo.gl/maps/YSahuCqRpz82