Pine Court, Kirkgate.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Pine Court, Kirkgate.

Post by Leodian »

Pine Court on Kirkgate, near the junction with Harper Street, is shown on at least an 1850 map. It has been closed off for some while now but it is part of the area that seems to be forever 'going' to be renovated. I have added 2 photos that I took on December 11 2018. The first shows how run down much of the west side of Kirkgate is and has been for ages. There are some premises on that side that have been done up and are in use but most are closed and neglected. The second is a closer view of Pine Court with a building next to it that is in use. There has been various graffiti for some while on the gate of Pine Court. When I have managed a peek through the closed gate the area behind seems to be used as a wheelie bin and rubbish store.
WestSideOfKirkgateLeedsFromHarperStreetJunctionDec112018..jpg
WestSideOfKirkgateLeedsFromHarperStreetJunctionDec112018..jpg (143.88 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
PineCourtWestSideOfKirkgateLeedsFromHarperStreetJunctionDec112018..jpg
PineCourtWestSideOfKirkgateLeedsFromHarperStreetJunctionDec112018..jpg (165.78 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
I have added links to 2 photos of Pine Court in the Leodis website. One was taken on January 14 1928 and the other on September 22 1999:-
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Interestingly the 1999 photo shows Pine Court was open then with access through it which I should recall but I don't. Also of note is that the Fire Hydrant sign in the photo taken on January 14 1928 is still there in the photos I took on December 11 2018.

PS. I think that's a pigeon in the first of the photos I took. It must have flown into view just as I took the photo :).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Re: Pine Court, Kirkgate.

Post by buffaloskinner »

1891 map of Kirkgate showing Pine Court.

:arrow:
Attachments
1891 Kirkgate.JPG
1891 Kirkgate.JPG (663.22 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Though i remember the area from years ago i never recall Pine Court, what i do remember is that Kirkgate was never as bad as bad and derelict as the pictures shows The owners of the properties or the Council should be ashamed to let this part of the City get in such a state. I notice that they have put up a Christmas decoration up on the Street. Lord knows what a visitor will think.

I do remember that the shop shop shown to the left was some sort of Herbalist/ Chemist and one was able to walk through a yard where it opened up to a square (not a bus station as such but large enough to have a Coach or two load us all up and take us to the Seaside. I assume the exited via the Calls
Perhaps someone else can remember this place

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jack I think that was a Wallace Arnold bus depot i could be wrong but i also remember it,ps I think the shop sold garden things eg bulbs tools and such like again i could be wrong.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your interest and input in this thread :).

The '1891 map of Kirkgate showing Pine Court' provided by buffaloskinner is fascinating in that there were so many courts/yards in such a small area. I bet they saw some interesting history! ;)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Hi Jack I think that was a Wallace Arnold bus depot i could be wrong but i also remember it,ps I think the shop sold garden things eg bulbs tools and such like again i could be wrong.dd

No tilly you are correct about the Bus Depot and that shop but i also think it was selling Flowers / Plants etc.
Maybe that why it is the only shop still standing and trading.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

No 83 Kirkgate was George Woodhead & Sons seed merchants. It was next to the entrance to Pine Court.
Also in the bottom of Kirkgate was Scarrs hardware and ironmongers, they sold garden tools

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

On the 1901 census Pine Court was also known as Maudes Yard.
There was just eight people living there in two houses.

Attachments
1901 census Pine Court.JPG
1901 census Pine Court.JPG (108.92 KiB) Viewed 5803 times

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="warringtonrhino No 83 Kirkgate was George Woodhead & Sons seed merchants. It was next to the entrance to Pine Court.
Also in the bottom of Kirkgate was Scarrs hardware and ironmongers, they sold garden tools

Though i never went in to Scarrs i do think it was on the opposite side of Kirkgate, quite a big store and as you say sold everything relating to Ironmongery etc.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Taken from Leodis

Top picture in 1928 - The shop on the left is empty but was Charles Clayforth wholesale grocers. The shop on the right is P.Cornick optician.

Bottom picture in 1928 - Pine Court looking towards Kirkgate

Attachments
Pine Court 01.jpg
Pine Court 01.jpg (40.57 KiB) Viewed 5709 times
Pine Court 02.jpg
Pine Court 02.jpg (37.04 KiB) Viewed 5709 times