Sifting the correct from the incorrect information in this article

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
jim

Re: Sifting the correct from the incorrect information in this article

Post by jim »

For those interested in the history and appearance of Wellingtom. Central, New, and City stations with a wide ranging display of pictures (including many fine aerial shots) from early to recent dates I reccomend "Leeds Termini" (Pixton and Hooper). A4 size with card covers,64 pages. Ten pages deal with history, the rest is entirely pictorial. Possibly out of print, but second hand copies are available at reasonable prices - Amazon has copies at £5 - £8 plus P&P.

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

Slightly off track, (sorry for the pun) but incidental to the previous link, found more sites relevant to the railways.
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/cross_gates/
http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/events ... ventID=533
I know these were related to Crossgates but the main sites cover the country.

jma

Post by jma »

On the matter of "80 yards below" I doubt if that is a reference to vertical height. In addition to the points already made - including below sea level - I think normal usage is to express vertical height in feet. I think that "below" here is being used in the same way as in expressions like "eighty yards down the road." The only reason I'm posting this is that this misunderstanding has cast doubt on the credibility of the entire piece.

jim

Post by jim »

Good point jma. Measuring North on the appropriate OS map from the boundary of Leeds New, 80 yards is the distance to the river, in other words the width of the Wellington site. Not well described in the article that is the subject of this thread, but presumably just a matter of semantics!

martinu

Post by martinu »

jma wrote:On the matter of "80 yards below" I doubt if that is a reference to vertical height. In addition to the points already made - including below sea level - I think normal usage is to express vertical height in feet. I think that "below" here is being used in the same way as in expressions like "eighty yards down the road." The only reason I'm posting this is that this misunderstanding has cast doubt on the credibility of the entire piece.
Yes, You may have a point there. Given that "80 yards below" the platforms is well below the river bed, which is ludicrous, there has to be another interpretation, and you've probably hit on it. Alternatively, could 80 yards be a reference to the distance between the original Wellington platforms and Leeds Central station? Somewhere we've got to disentangle the association in the article between Central and the underground relics at City.

If a journalist writes about a subject you are familiar with, you can spot the misunderstandings and half-truths - which makes you wonder how much to believe of an article on a subject that you are not an expert on.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:arrow:
The maps below should clarify the layout of the three stations for you

Attachments
Stations 1891.JPG
Stations 1891.JPG (210.28 KiB) Viewed 5969 times
Stations 1910.JPG
Stations 1910.JPG (202.48 KiB) Viewed 5969 times
Station Wellington Street 1891.JPG
Station Wellington Street 1891.JPG (218.01 KiB) Viewed 5969 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

1908 map shows all three stations

Attachments
Leeds Stations 1908.jpg
Leeds Stations 1908.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 5915 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

martinu

Post by martinu »

buffaloskinner wrote::arrow:
The maps below should clarify the layout of the three stations for you

Looking at the 1891 and 1910 maps, it's difficult to say where the boundary might be drawn between Wellington and New, but certainly the present City station is almost entirely New with only a small amount of Wellington platforms.

Was the art deco side entrance from Wellington Street to City station accessible all the time, or was there a period of time prior to its refurbishment in the 1980s when it was not used by the public? I don't remember seeing it, or even wondering what was down there, when I occasionally used the station.

Looking at the modern plan on the Network Rail site, I never knew there was a bay platform (7) on the *east* side, facing towards York. I presume that is used for some Leeds-York or Leeds-Selby local trains.

jma

Post by jma »

I was born in 1944 so my only memories are of the City and Central Stations. Without ever giving it much thought, I had always assumed that New Station Street was the new street to the station. I now see that it is, or was, the street to New Station.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

The maps found at side by side show the before and after quite well.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb