leeds united

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Re: leeds united

Post by volvojack »

I recall that part of the "Big John" transfer to Juventus was for the Italian team to play a friendly at Elland Rd. On the Due date there was the little Argentinian Sivori in their team. Dont knowhy but there was a running battle between these two . Georgie was a hard nosed Jock and in the end as they squared up to each other Sivori stuck the head on him just when you would have expected a Glaswegian to be ready for. Don't recall what action the Referee took but that was the last we saw of John Charles as the great Footballer we knew as on his return he was "Just Past it"
My Best memory of the King was listening to the Radio and hearing United with Tommy Burdon as captain clinching Promotion in the 1950s.
My worst was Hitch Hiking down to Torquay for a mid week F.A. Cup match and being beaten.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Have watched United for 70 years or SO , i can honestly say that the Matches i have seen them play in the last couple of Seasons the are completely void of ideas as a Team. Apart from a brief spell a the beginning of the season
when they Topped the League table and they did seem to have some fairly Talented players.the pattern seems to take two forms 1. Take the ball and run 50 yards or so before the opposing Team disposessess him OR the defence kick the ball upfield about the same distance. After a while the United players quite naturally begin to run out of Steam. Football is and always has been a Team Game but Leeds U. seem
to think they can play on their own.
If it had not been for the good performance early in the Season they would now be involved in a Relegation Battle and i really would not fancy their chances.
Does anyoneever recall a Goalkeeper being voted "Man of the Match" when he was on the Losing Side ?? Which is what happened last evening.
So all credit to this young Lad. Peacock Farrell.
Like anyone else down Elland Road way with Talent he will be tempted away

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

A Couple of Lads playing Golf on Sunday Morning and one shot flies off into the Trees. When he goes in to look for it he hears faint cries. He then comes across a Genie and a large broken bottle. The Genie says "Thank you so much, I have been in there for over 900 years and in gratitude i will grant you Any wish you want".
The Golfer says Thats easy, grant me what every body wants, I want to live Forever.
The Genie replies "Sorry, but that is just the One wish i can't grant you.Why don't you go in the Clubhouse and have a couple of Large whiskeys , they are already payed for, Relax and come out and give me you alternative and i will grant it immediately".
A little bit later the Golfer come back out and the Genie says "Well, apart from the "Living for Ever" there is nothing i can't refuse or grant you. So have you decided on your wish ?"
The Lad say's Yes, Well if i can't live for always, Just let me live long enough to see Leeds United win the F.A. Cup , The European Cup and the U.k. win the Eurovision Song Contest. all in One Year.The Genie thinks for a minute and says "Well, You Crafty Ba....rd"

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I knew it would not be long before Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy would be tempted to play at Elland Road then i woke up and realised it was only a dream and it's because England are playing in a friendly match tomorrow night.
This game is to be shown live on I.T.V. but i thought i would get a couple of tickets for a nephew and his pal. Luckily i did not tell them.
Just go on line livefootballtickets then enter venue.

Prices begin at £190. up to £1,055. there is a map of the stadim there (am i reading this correctly ?)

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I thought I'd answered this but obviously not. A bit of research shows that the FA were the official ticket distributors for the match and tickets were from around £30 - £60. Leeds United were also advertising some hospitality packages for the executive boxes but even these were nothing like the range you are mentioning. The FA had the match as a sell-out so I'm guessing what you were looking at was effectively an online marketplace for ticket touts.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Yes it was " livefootballtickets" and then enter the Venue. as this was a couple of days before the game i was not very hopeful, found out that they had been on sale since March and the Leeds United allocation had been snapped up by their Members.
Don't think i had read it wrong at the time but as the match is now over it is no longer showing .

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Where are you Jack ?
Great start to the season with possibly
the best coach we have had for yonks.

Just hope they can keep it going.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hola Senor dog duke. (Got to speak Spanish)
Yes you are correct, great start. I was a bit nervous watching on Tuesday but the Lads showed some fight but i thought a draw was a fair result. This Marcelo seems to know his stuff but the Divisions here in England are so much harder. There was one year when United only lost 2 games all season (Man.City and Burnley) A hard game next will be Norwich.
Back in the late 1940s when i went to Mount Saint Mary's School Richmond Hill we had a very talented Footballer called Terry Allcock. United should have snapped him up but Bolton Wanderers signed him, his Dad worked for the Railway and they moved to Blackpool. Later he signed on for Norwich and holds some goal scoring records for them in spite of playing in defensive positions
In spite of his strange ways, ie. Wearing the same Suit when the team won, Getting a Gypsy to lift a Curse from the Ground etc. I believe Don Revie was far away the best Manager. think they would have won more if they had more time to rest between games.
Howard Wilkinson was a Clown, Having possibly the finest Footballer of the Decade playing for Leeds. Eric Cantona. Eric adapting to the British game, Scoring 3 goals at Wembley and helping United win the Title, all in one season. He not only lets him go for a fraction of what he was now worth but to Man United, of all Clubs.
You have only to look back to see what Cantona did for Man U.
We had some great Football played when David O'leary was manager but then it came out that Peter Ridsdale had borrowed over £60,000 ( Now £105,000) and was spending money like water.
So yes it has to be "The Don" in spite of his strange ways. Lets hope this time next year we are up in the Premier League So Adios Amigo

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

When interviewed by the Media the Derby County manager Frank Lampard said he was "Disgusted and Surprised when asked about Leeds sending a Spy to the Derby Training Ground He admitted that Leeds were the better team last week when they won 2.0.
Strange how he was not "Disgusted and Surprised" when some years ago the Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho was smuggled into the Chelsea dressing room in a Laundry basket after being banned from a European game. Chelsea won 4. goals to 2. of which Frank Lampard scored 2.0. Jose was kept up to date by one of his touchline staff wearing an earpiece.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Any fans going down to the Bristol City match tomorrow better leave home very early. apart from the ususal holiday traffic to the West country at this time of year on the M.5 there will be folfs going through the Midlands Test Match and last of all Liverpool v Man. City fans all goingdown the M.6. All of these have to pass through the edge of Birminham and then due to the late kick off i suggest to have a rest before driving back the 200 miles to the Holy Land. ......