Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
iansmithofotley

Re: Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

There's a thread which mentions it here:

http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=3696

If you check out both churches on Wikipedia and Genuki Leeds you will find that St Mary's Church, near to Mabgate, was built before Mount St Marys' Church on the Rock/Richmond Hill. I think that Mount St Mary's was built because of the Irish Roman Catholic population which settled in the area during the 1840's due to the famine in Ireland.

Ian

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

I think St Mary's Quarry Hill, was one of three Waterloo churches built in Leeds.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:idea:
St Marys church (long demolished and graveyard exhumed) was just a couple of hundred yards from St Patricks RC church. See map below.
There was also a St Patricks RC Chapel and school further up York Road just a few hundred yards before the Star Cinema.

:arrow:
Attachments
St Marys & St Patricks Burmantofts.JPG
St Marys & St Patricks Burmantofts.JPG (140.81 KiB) Viewed 12235 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thanks again for the prompt replies.
I do not understand why such a Church as St Patricks with two impressive doorways only seemed to use the smaller one at the side, Unless it was just for more Important occasions In later years it was used but then again it was not long before the York Road Flyover was built and then driving over ( as of now ) there is not much more than the Church Roof to be seen. Don't know what all the adjoining buildings are used for these days. In my day there was a thriving "Market District Boys Boxing Club " plus Boy Scouts and Cubs Meetings.

That reminds me that St. Anne's Cathedral only used the side entrance. The only time i saw the Doors open at the front was for some Episode of a T.V. where the Villain rang out and was killed .

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

A bit late in the day but these may ring a bell with a couple of ex. Leeds Police Officers.
My Missus bought me a Glossy book "Leeds in The 50s. 60s. and 70s." which has lots of Pictures, adverts and general information about my lHome Town. Have just got around to reading it.
There are two photos showing Officers on Point Duty in City Square. One in 1958 and the other in 1965.
........................................................................................................................

Then Two Brand new Sunbeam Tiger G.T. cars delivered to City Police 22nd. july 1966 Traffic Dept.
.....................................................................................................................................
ChiefConstable of leeds James Angus sat on an old open Car with P.c.s Christine Ingham and Rita Mogg
Promoting the Movie Chitty Chitty Babg Bang.
In the Picture there are also quite a few members of the Force. 25th. November 1968
...................................................................................
The new look Leeds City Police car with illuminated sign on top and large letters on side.
................................................................................................................
Three Female Traffic Wardens started work on 22nd April 1967. They are pictured with Police Sgt. Hardy

Just thought there might be Some of you Ex. Lads who may recognise your selves or someone you knew.
...................................................................................................................................

This is a Great book for Photos of how the City developed during the 1950s to the late 1970s. Even though it was Published by the Yorks Evening .

This is a 200 page Really Good Read and i should think a copy might turn up in a second hand book shop or a Car Boot Sale. It really is worth looking out for.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

I have not seen the book. It sounds very interesting and I will look out for it.

Officers doing ‘Point Duty.
In those days most of the Police Divisions had some traffic points which were usually manned between about 8am until 9.30am and from about 4.30pm until 6.30pm. Millgarth Police Station, which covered the city centre, manned the City Square traffic point at the bottom of Park Row near to Boar Lane. There were not so many sets of traffic lights and roundabouts in those days.

As an example of traffic points, when I first joined the Leeds City Police in 1965, I worked at Upper Wortley Police Station and there were traffic points at (1) Wellington Road/ Armley Road, (2) Wellington Road/Spence Lane and (3) Leeds & Bradford Road/Broad Lane/Bridge Road/Wyther Lane. In addition to these traffic points, there were many School Crossings which had to be manned, usually from around 8am until 9am, 11.50am until 12.30pm, 1pm until 2pm and 3.30pm until 4.15pm. The times differed, depending on the schools. Some of the crossings were manned by ‘Lollipop Men/Women’ but the ones on busy main roads were usually manned by the Police. As an example on the ‘Armley Beat’, where I often worked, there were crossings to be covered at Castleton School, the Armley ‘Clock’ School and Armley Park School – all within half a mile of each other on Armley Road and Stanningley Road (and there were many others on other beats within the division). In those days, most of us worked on Velocette ‘Noddy Bikes’ but still had to cover these commitments. Some officers worked on foot patrol and on an ‘early turn’ shift (6am – 2pm) an officer might have to cover up to three school crossings or maybe a traffic point and two crossings. Meal breaks were 45 minutes for male officers (60 minutes for women officers). In addition to this, we had to answer force radio calls and do our own follow up enquiries for routine police work e.g. taking statements, arresting suspects and other enquiries, etc. In those days, there were no personal radios but the Velocettes had radios. All Leeds divisions had similar numbers of traffic points and school crossings.

So far as relates to the City Square Traffic Point – at the times that you mentioned, there was an officer called PC 681 Nobby Clark who worked at Millgarth Police Station and he spent most of his time doing traffic duty. He was very good at it and motorists could tell if he was on duty as the traffic was more ‘free flowing’ around City Square. If other officers were on that traffic point, then there tended to be more traffic jams. Nobby retired around late 1964 or early 1965 as, when I joined, I was allocated his collar number.

Sunbeam Tigers.
The Road Traffic Department, which was in Belle Vue Road at that time, had two Sunbeam Alpines (white, I think), which they first acquired around 1959 and two MGB’s (fawn and light blue). They were replaced with Sunbeam Tigers (white) and MGC’s (white). Although the cars were convertibles, they also had black detachable hard tops. They later changed over to Mini Cooper ‘S’s which were, originally, all multicoloured e.g. red with a black roof, white with a black roof, blue with a white roof, green with a white roof, etc. These cars were great for use in the city as (at the time) they were high powered, small and ‘nippy’. The traffic cops could usually chase and catch anyone in more high-powered cars due to their superior driving ability and training. The only time that they had difficulty was if they had to chase a high-powered car (at that time) such as a Jaguar or Rover on long straight roads such as York Road heading out of the city. The Road Traffic Department also used to get cars to test for manufacturers. I can remember a massive Ford Zodiac/Ferguson Four Wheel Drive which was just too big and clumsy for city use, the early Triumph 2000’s and 2500 PI’s and also the early Rover 2000’s and 3500’s. Some of these cars were later adopted for permanent use. You mentioned the Chief Constable Jim Angus (who was a great bloke) – the force bought a dark grey Rover 3500 as his official car but it hardly ever got used, as he didn’t like it. The mileage was very low and in order to put some miles on it we would often used it when we had to go on long trips for prisoners or on far away prison visits. There was some arrangement where the force could not get rid of it until it had done something like 100,000 miles. I can remember going to Scotland in it, to put some miles on, to pick up a prisoner.

Chief Constable Jim Angus.
He started his career in the Newcastle City Police in 1934 and came to Leeds City Police as an Assistant Chief Constable in 1960 until 1962. He left to become the Chief Constable of Grimsby and then as an Assistant Chief Constable of Lincolnshire due to force amalgamations. He became the Chief Constable of Leeds City Police in 1968 after the Chief Constable Alexander J. Paterson died. As I have said, I found him to be a great bloke. I worked at the Leeds City Police Headquarters at Brotherton House from 1968 until 1972 and I used to see him often (usually in the lift). He was always friendly, helpful and interested in what I was doing. When he returned to the Leeds Force, he had part of the top floor of Brotherton House converted into a flat for him and his wife. After the amalgamation of Police Forces on 1st April 1974, Mr Angus became the Deputy Chief Constable of the West Yorkshire Metropolitan Police but he died, three months later, in the following July, the flat was then used for other purposes and at one time was occupied by the Special Branch, who were originally on the ground floor.

I, personally, did not know the Policewomen Christine Ingham or Rita Mogg.

Police car with illuminated sign.
As far as I can remember, prior to 1968, not many of the Leeds City Police vehicles had ‘Police’ written on the sides. The Road Traffic cars had roof signs and the sports cars (mentioned) had some small signs on the front and back. I think that the ‘noddy bikes’ also had ‘Police’ written across the windscreens. In those days, after the ‘noddy bikes’ had been introduced, there were about a dozen in each Division and they were ridden by constables and sergeants. Inspectors usually used a plain car. Some of the larger vans had signage on the sides.

In 1968, ‘Unit Beat Policing’ was introduced and ‘Panda Cars’ replaced the ‘noddy bikes’. The first ‘Panda Cars’ (beat cars) were light blue Vauxhall Viva’s with a white door. They had ‘Police’ written down the sides and they had roof lights (Police/Stop). Other forces used all types of cars for panda cars, some were black and white, blue and white or just a plain colour. Many of the rural forces used Mini Vans (usually grey).

When Unit Beat Policing was introduced in Leeds, officers were issued with personal radios, each sub division had its own communications room (in addition to the force communications room), community constables were appointed in each sub division. ‘Jumbo’ Divisions were created and were labelled A, B and C Divisions. A = Millgarth (previously Central) and Ireland Wood (previously North West), B = Chapeltown (previously North East) and Gipton (previously East), C = Dewsbury Road (previously South) and Upper Wortley (previously West). Prior to this time, each of the old divisions (now sub divisions) was led by a Superintendent but after the ‘Jumbo Divisions’ were created, a Chief Superintendent was in charge but each sub division still had a Superintendent. As a result of Unit Beat Policing, and its requirements, there were many promotions in all divisions and departments. In later years, the divisions and sub divisions were reorganised again and again. The Police have always been experts in ‘Re-inventing the Wheel’ and they still are.

Traffic Wardens.
I can remember Traffic Wardens (black/yellow uniforms) being introduced around 1967, I think that, originally, they worked out of the Council Offices on the Headrow but later moved into the ‘new’ Millgarth Police Station. About the same time, parking meters were introduced in Leeds and Parking Meter Attendants (brown/white uniforms). One of my old Inspectors from Upper Wortley Police Station, Henry Ingham, was put in charge of the Traffic Wardens. I knew PS 746 Pete Hardy as a Road Traffic Sergeant. Personally, I did not know any of the Traffic Wardens in central Leeds.

I hope that you have found this post of interest, other ex Leeds police officers may be able to provide further information, or correct any errors that I have made.

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Good Morning Ian,
Thank you or your quick response.
As i am catching a Train to leeds in a couple of hours shall have to keep my reply brief for now.
This is about A.4. size, "Leeds in the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies" It was first published in 2009 by The Breedon Book Publishing Co.
Breedon House, The Parker Centre, Derby DE21 4SZ.
Also in Paperback edition published in 2012. ( same Company )
Pictures etc. Copyright of Y.E.P.

Regards Jack.

PeterN

Post by PeterN »

My mum used to work for Leeds City Police in the sixties and seventies. Mavis Naylor

PeterN

Post by PeterN »

My mum used to work for Leeds City Police in the sixties and seventies. Mavis Naylor

jma

Post by jma »

PeterN wrote:My mum used to work for Leeds City Police in the sixties and seventies. Mavis Naylor
When it was still Leeds City Police, your mum worked in "B" Division (Chapeltown and Gipton) Admin.

After amalgamation in 1974, the divisions were all reorganised and I've a feeling she worked at Brotherton House.