A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 1)

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jihfadiuh

Re: A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 1)

Post by jihfadiuh »

A double ditch and rampart is visible in the wood west of Manor Garth. This is traditionally believed the site of the monastery built by Thridwulf in the 8th century, also the site of a fortification of Oswiu of the 7th century. Three stone coffins have been found in the wood, one of which is preserved at Potterton Hall, also a stone axe. (2-4)

This alleged moat is most likely to be the result of quarrying. Colman discusses the earthworks and moat at Potterton and dismisses them as being the remains of a former pottery industry. He cites the local names of Potterton and Brickpond Farm as having derived from that industry. (See SE 43 NW ?). The area is well suited for such a purpose as clay predominates. The remains make no coherent pattern and are suggestive of quarry spoil heaps. The published earthwork takes the form of a slight ditch adjoining these quarries. It is situated in a field that has also been quarried on a lesser scale. Part of this field is now being used as a tip, and this process has infilled most of the ditch. It seems most probable that the ditch was contemporary with the various ground disturbance surrounding it, and cannot therefore be considered an antiquity. (5)

Mr.E.Horner, owner of Potterton Hall, states that the find spot and present whereabouts of the stone axe are unknown. The stone coffin, now broken, is situated at SE 40543883 in the grounds of the Hall. (6)

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi jihfadiuh Great post this is the kind of subject i like to read about there is so much history around the Leeds area The battle of Whinmoor is thought to have taken place around Seacroft/ Thorner area but some say it was around Doncaster.The war of the roses had battles at Adwalton Moor and of course Towton all around the Leeds area history abounds .Barwick in Elmet was the center of the Kindom of Elmet a vast area of land belonging to the Iceni tribe and that only scratches the surface .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi jihfadiuh Great post this is the kind of subject i like to read about there is so much history around the Leeds area The battle of Whinmoor is thought to have taken place around Seacroft/ Thorner area but some say it was around Doncaster.The war of the roses had battles at Adwalton Moor and of course Towton all around the Leeds area history abounds .Barwick in Elmet was the center of the Kindom of Elmet a vast area of land belonging to the Iceni tribe and that only scratches the surface .

tilly

Post by tilly »

Sorry for the double post.

Westend

Post by Westend »

Apols if this has been mentioned before (haven't read all the thread!) but could there be a connection with the two skulls in the Chapel of Hazlewood Castle in Tadcaster? See

http://www.dioceseofleeds.org.uk/cathed ... hedral.php

Andy

Post by Andy »

Just signed up to this forum after reading it with great interest on and off over the last few years. This skull thread was one of the ones I found most interesting - some great detective work.
The reason for me signing up is because a couple of days ago I drove past the site where the skulls were last known to be and I was just about to point out to my son the building where they were when it became clear that the building had been demolished! Does anyone know if the skulls were saved?

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Yes their owner has them quite safe so I'm told, I'll leave it at that. ;)