Where, what, why and when?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
BLAKEY

Re: Where, what, why and when?

Post by BLAKEY »

Further site visits have enabled me to more or less settle all the queries about this fascinating picture of a scene which is vastly altered now - in some ways that is, but not all.
The little black cabin is definitely gone.
On the smaller of the station buildings the chimney has vanished, as has the roof skylight.
The tree is hale and hearty and noticeably much bigger than it was.
The position of the gateway remains the same, as does the staircase to the northbound platform 2, and the small iron arch at the top of the steps to platform 1 City bound is still there.
BUT ... the modern looking building partly hidden by the tree has me totally foxed - I don't ever remember it as it must have been in the middle of where some of the allotments are now, even though it looks too modern to have been demolished ??
I'M SURE now that the four or five storey building on the extreme distant left was Jacques Court which was demolished quite a few years ago. On that site there are now some nice little "sheltered" bungalows and where the baffling building was there are new flats in the same scheme as the bungalows. Considering that I live less than a quarter of a mile away its been very frustrating to suss out, but there again I didn't actually move here until 1991 so there we are !! :? :? :) :)
Last edited by BLAKEY on Tue 22 Mar, 2016 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Headingley Railway Station... according to Google. http://tinyurl.com/jcejyvd

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Thanks Brunel - incidetally since that picture about a year ago there's been a total reconstruction of the aged bridge and the station track and ballast. It was a massive job and I had an excellent view from here of the proceedings and the massive impressive machinery involved.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

It's four years since this thread was started but I have recently found another pic of this tram in the same location but a different angle, puts to rest any speculation.
Attachments
horsefield189.jpg
horsefield189.jpg (328.8 KiB) Viewed 1307 times