Empire Arcade

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leodian wrote: [Thanks for that salt 'n pepper. As you say the views do suggest that the Empire Palace name may have been at that site a long time. It would be nice that some of the structure did survive.PS. I always knew it as the Empire Theatre (more usually just the Empire) not the Empire Palace. I've learnt something new through this thread! In all the sad sights that we "traditionalists" have had to witness in the destruction of the real Leeds there can have been none worse than the dramatic and sensational ripping wide open of the front of the Empire - revealing to everyone in Briggate the desecration of that beautiful auditorium which had been the setting for so much wonderful entertainment over the years. Its an experience in wanton destruction that I never want to repeat.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

mp72

Post by mp72 »

Just joined this site after having a conversation earlier today about Black Cat, so just had to google it - and it lead here :-)I loved the Empire Arcade and spent a lot of time there while growing up. I remember the shops already mentioned (Black Cat, the Hearing Aid shop, Qasar, the newsagent and hairdressers). There was also a ladies clothes shop from what I remember on the left hand side when you entered from Briggate. The one shop I remember from growing up though, was the Empire Discount Store!! It was like a Poundstretcher mixed with the Pound Shop lol. It did sell other things though, such as electricals on the first floor. One memory was of the early 80's (and been about 11) and asking my parents for a CD clock radio - and yes, they bought it from there lol. Not very good quality but something I won't forget lol. And as a kid with only pocket money to spend on Christmas presents etc, my family definitely got more than their share of cheap toiletries lol. Good times....

mp72

Post by mp72 »

Leodian - I felt exactly the same way when the Odeon on the Headrow closed - especially as it's a Primark now. I went in a couple of times after it opened and could've cried when I walked down the staircase at the rear - so many memories. Now I won't shop in there - firstly because of what it took away and secondly because I can't stand the awful jumble sale of a shop anyway!!

cplmarr

Re: Empire Arcade

Post by cplmarr »

I was a student in Leeds from 1986-89. I definitely remember JUMBO records but there was also a Black Cat used record store as I still have their sticker on some LPs I bought. They were very fair about grading their stock _FAIR-GOOD-EXCELLENT. Not sure which arcade it was in though. The last time I was in Leeds was in 1991. I have worked overseas since 2007. I often wondered about those lovely arcades - Leeds was such a great place to be - shame if they have gone now. I uses to visit a model shop in one of the arcades that had a downstairs/basement that sold those miniature figures for wargaming and dungeons and dragons. Does anyone know the name of it? In another arcade there was another model shop on the ground floor that sold gaming miniatures and Grenadier paints (from Merseyside)? A bit obscure, I know, but does that jog memories?
Juggling sand in the sun and making coin.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

According to this website http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... forgotten/ the model shop was called Bradford Model Railway Exchange.

I think the answers to most of your questions are on this tread. However I can only remember Jumbo being upstairs in the Queens Arcade, though I could be wrong.
Attachments
Queens Arcade 1972.JPG
Queens Arcade 1972.JPG (85.35 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Taken from Skyscraper City, thanks to Daveylad2 http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 6&langid=6

Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

jim

Post by jim »

As far as I can recall, Black Cat were in the Empire Arcade. There was also another branch in North Lane, Headingley, which remained open for some years after the City Centre shop closed, but has since closed itself

francof

Post by francof »

Wow! what a great picture. It looks like the building on top of the arcade was held up by next to nothing and could have collapsed inwards at any time.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

buffaloskinner wrote:According to this website http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... forgotten/ the model shop was called Bradford Model Railway Exchange.

I think the answers to most of your questions are on this tread. However I can only remember Jumbo being upstairs in the Queens Arcade, though I could be wrong.
Jumbo records moved to The Merrion Centre in the mid 70's
Attachments
Jumbo.jpeg
Jumbo.jpeg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 3990 times

Jan B

Post by Jan B »

The model shop was Bradford model railway centre - I worked there about 1974 to 1976. Ground floor was air fix kits mainly and wide range of transport books. Upstairs every thing was to do with model railways . Other shops in the arcade were a cafe, a poster shop, glass and china shop , Carlos and Jeffrey mens hairdresser to name a few