St Michael's Catholic College - Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
j.c.d.

Re: St Michael's Catholic College - Leeds

Post by j.c.d. »

My brother Peter Daly was there in the late 1940s, sadly has now passed away, wondered if anyone remembers him or Peter (Piggy) Swift

Pete of ebor

Post by Pete of ebor »

For anyone out there who does Facebook, there is also a Facebook page dedicated to St Michaels

Pete of ebor

Post by Pete of ebor »

In reply to the post about famous old boys, the only other one I know of was Francis Matthews who did the voice of Captain Scarlet among many other things.

Pete of ebor

Post by Pete of ebor »

Re the post about 'Norbert' Walsh, the story we were told was that his birthday was on St. Norbert's Day and that he didn't give any homework that day. Can't say whether it's true or not because he never taught me, but that's what we understood

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

I don't have any connection to St Michaels.Except in 1978 i worked on an extention round the back of the original building,I think it was to be used as theatrical area , hall with stage ,and work in the school, firescreens at the bottom stairwells.Having been educated in relatively modern schools ,I found this a most depressing building.https://www.flickr.com/photos/viewfromt ... 380707434/
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur »

I was at St Micks between 1981 and 1985 and it was an experience! In between battling the teachers and getting kicked out of class I had a lot of scraps with certain individuals. But I enjoyed it! This was the age where St Michaels became truly multicultural and I welcomed it. A lot of my fights concerned me stepping in to fight it out with some of the less tolerant lads.
My favourite teachers of that period were Capps , Laverty and Big Brooke!
And I had a big crush on Mrs. Anderson , the French teacher. Mrs. Cooke the Art teacher was hot stuff as well!
Ah memories...

pjwy

Post by pjwy »

I stumbled accross this forum quite by chance...am glad I did because reading through the posts has brought back some ( almost haunting) memories!

My time at St.Michael's was from around 1948-53,around the same time as James so his posts on here are particularly interesting.

Travelling from Dewsbury and having to catch three busses there and back every day was a huge pain in the butt tbh especially as I would arrive in Burley Rd with all those steps to climb to get to the school...marginally easier going home mind you!

My time at at St. Michael's was'nt the happiest if I'm honest,mainly my own fault I suppose because I found it very hard to take the very strict regime there and somehow 'lost my way'.

Instead of knuckling down and working hard,like most of the kids,I allowed myself to be somewhat led astray by the odd one or two 'rebels'.Mea culpa.

I ended up getting suspended for selling a firework to a lovely guy called Jimmy Birrane who went and let it off in the class just as 'Winkie' Morgan walked in the door...I never actually went back to the college after that so my time there ended with a ' bang ',so to speak!

Great to read here about all the old teachers around my time..my first and favourite was Miss Malone in first year....and Pere Maxwell whilst my most feared was Miss Veitch who a couple of times sentenced me to the ferula despite being innocent of any offence....and,yes,that ferula could really hurt.Whilst waiting outside that little punishment office in the corner of the ground floor,we used to dicuss whether or not the person administering the punishment that day was 'laying on' or not!

My great regret is that I never kept in touch or went back to 'old boys' events so no idea what became of some of the guys in my class...for instance,Smith,Trodden,Graves ( from Harrogate) Moorhouse and Mc Andrew from Normanton,Dobson ( good footy player),Bellwood,Haigh and so many others.Would love to know if they are still around or come on here.

Although,as I said,my memories of life at St.Michael's are not all particularly happy,there are some fond ones especially of the cricket touch and pass in the yard and the trips up to Cookridge for games at the playing fields there...oh and nicking off to Charlie Mahon's billiard hall after the register had been!

A very,very good College of Education was St.Michael's for most ,though,sadly,not for me.If only I'd have had more sense.

pjwy

Post by pjwy »

Ah...just noticed my error above.It was French teacher Mr Morrin ( not 'Winkie 'Morgan) who walked through the door just as the 'banger' exploded!

Mr Morgan was a really nice quiet guy who just occasionally lost his rag! He would insist on a pupil always standing when he spoke to them and if they didn't,he would shout at them " stand up boy or I will knock you down"! He never would have though. He was handy at dishing out three ferulas though but nobody ever took them 'cos he never 'checked up'.

Another vivid memory I have is of the playground at St.Michael's. In the distance,through the netting at the bottom,one could just see through the gloom the old Armley Jail where hangings still took place on rare occasions!

The old boxing ring up in the attic was always,to my mind,a grizzly place too for some reason.
Funny how certain things remain in the memory.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

A Beeston Lad i grew up with was Michael Walsh, some years later i met him and he told me he was a teacher at St. Michaels and he was getting increasingly out of his depth with the pupils who some of which were bigger and physically stronger than him. as he was only ever a slightly built person i could understand it. I wonder if he is the Mr. Walsh referred to in previous posts.
Think he also wore glasses in later years.

pjwy

Post by pjwy »

I wonder if anyone remembers as far back as Fr Stanislaus Jones ( if my memory serves that was his name) predecessor to Rev Fr Doyle? They seemed to me to be just about polar opposites!

When I arrived at the college late forties,Fr Stanislaus was just about to be replaced as rector by the latter who seemed to take an instant dislike to me..probably my own fault mind you.

I harbour the urge to go back one day to what was the College,retracing my steps of old,up those hundred or so steps and up to the College gates to peer into the playground,letting my imagination work overtime....