Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
dogduke

Re: Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Post by dogduke »

MUG
plates
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

MUG
plates
Vauxhall Vivas on L reg plates.?
One backed into my 1100 Wolsley,the MUG plate was very appropriate.
All from memory a long time ago but accurate I think.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Valbarker

Post by Valbarker »

Just back from ex Leeds police monthly get together and Dave Maurey told me about this site. Hello, I'm still here! Tonight Colin Wilson, Dave, Bob quantock, Lynne Tolan (Hilton) billy Bradley, Pete Speight etc.. All at Vic.... Bob says I don't look a day older. I think his memory is fading! Had a chequered career since leaving police... Social worker, then health .... Got various degrees and became director of Public health for wakefield, so Fellow of Faculty of Public Health of Royal College of Physicians!!!!!! Who'd have thought it! Retired at 60 but went back to be Head of Postgraduate School if Publiv Health for yorks and Humber... Still work half time. Live in Upper Batley with Bryan... Got married last year after living together for 30 years... He's half normal, for me!
Love the monthly meeting, reminiscing about the good old days. Valx

bgams

Post by bgams »

V,

So good to see that you are doing well and have made what seems to be a very full life after the police. I'm becoming a bit of an old buffer often living in the past and obviously the police being a large part of that so I hope you'll take it as a complement when I say whenever I'm reminiscing I inevitably relate back to those days at Wortley CID when I enjoyed your company and that of many others a number of whom you still meet e.g. Dave Maury, Bob Quantock and the other Leeds City guys. I have posted on this thread before so I will not bore you again
with my progress.

Once more great to hear from you.

wbg
(895)

Valbarker

Post by Valbarker »

Not boring. Keep in touch. Often laugh about times with you and Oerter diggle. Vx

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Hi. Dave Maurey. get in touch and next time I am in Leeds we can have a pint and a chat. regards Jack Daly

jma

Post by jma »

I've only just seen this request for info about David Noble.

I joined Leeds City Police in July 1967 my number was 153 and I was posted to Dewsbury Road. David "Black Sam" Noble replaced Albert Dunn and he was the chief superintendent for most of my time there until I was posted to Ireland Wood CID in April 1972.

I'll spare you the tales about his legendary thriftiness or any of the other negative stuff about him and instead I'll recount something which I believe shows him in a good light.

In those far off days when Leeds United were a top team, we used to have all sorts of public order incidents at Elland Road and beyond.

My tale relates to serious disorder which, if I remember correctly, occurred when Celtic came to town in April 1970. I may be mixing it up with another game but my memory is clear about Black Sam. The main train line into leeds passes close to the ground on an embankment and trains tend to pass slowly as they approach the station, giving anybody going to the match a tantalising view of the ground, especially if it's floodlit, as it was for this match. On this occasion, somebody pulled the communication cord and stopped the train so they could get off near the ground and quite a large number of Celtic fans swarmed off the train and charged the stadium. After the initial shindig, we were deployed to "repel boarders." I was in the West Stand behind one of the big metal doors into what was then the Directors' Car Park. After a few minutes, there was banging on the gate and in a loud voice "This is Noble. Is the police on the other side of this gate?" I called back "One five three, sir! All correct, sir!" and it was "Stay there, lad." A few moments later there was more banging further on and again it was "This is Noble...."

No hiding in a control room hoping they would all go away.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Hi JMA. While Celtic did indeed visit Leeds on April 1st 1970 and I suppose their support could have descended from all over the country the vast majority would not be on a train travelling on that embankment given it was and still is the East Coast mainline spur for Wakefield and Leeds. A London club or maybe the home European Cup QF against Standard Liege in mid March might be more likely.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I was in Leeds city centre on the day of the Celtic match in 1970. The reason it sticks in my mind is that I had never seen such a heavy police presence in any UK city at that time. The police were clearly expecting trouble as they were in small groups and quite a few dog handlers were on the streets. To be fair to football fans I didn't witness any disorderly behaviour just the preparation to deal with it. I remember reading in the YEP that a city centre gay pub might have been a flash point for trouble. How times have changed.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

The trouble when away supporters jumped from the train near Elland Road was a London club, Millwall, I think. and someone I knew lived in the bungalow just the other side of the railway bridge where he sold cars and it seems gangs of fans ran from the train through his yard,
This is nothing to do with the Celtic game with was in the evening. I went to see some Market lads in the " Madhouse" and there were quite few jocks in there lunchtime and don't think there was much trouble with their fans..
I went to the game and the following week we drove up to Glasgow to see the return leg where United sadly lost. there was a record crowd of over 136,000 which a record. to say we were like sardines it pretty apt.
As the Pubs closed at 9pm. some Celtic lads invited us in the back door of their local and we stayed all night.

As for trouble from Scottish fans there was a fair bit from Glasgow Rangers when they came to town and lost.