Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
j.c.d.

Re: Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Post by j.c.d. »

In 1958 /9 one evening my pal and myself were walking up Dewsbury Road after having a couple of pints in the Parkfield pub on the end of Jack Lane. as we neared the Robert Peel pub we saw two oiks grappling with a W.P.C., one had her by the back of her coat and the other one was laying into her. in those days I was quite fit so grabbed the one holding the lass and my pal cracked the other one. by the time a van turned up from Dewsbury Rd. we had given them both a good slapping. the Female officer was shook up but nothing much worse. We had to go to the station and give details and then had another couple of pints in the Junction opposite, we got a nice letter of thanks from the Chief Constable which I can't find at the moment but I will try and turn it up as the details on it may be of interest to someone.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Great stuff JCD More more more please. :lol:
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

tilly wrote:Great stuff JCD More more more please. :lol:
Thanks for the compliment but never having been in the Force, though I have had lots of pals who were, most adventures have not been connected with the Bill. there have been odd times where things have occurred just slightly outside of the law but this is not quite the place for them. I have a picture to put on here of my Grandfather Sgt. Thomas Leach collar no.130 from the 1920s when I can get our Lass to show me how. Regards jack Daly.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tilly wrote:Great stuff JCD More more more please. :lol:
Seconded tilly. This is a fascinating thread.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Leodian when the thread was started it was said it might not be of interest to members.Looking at the amount of posts i think its just the opposite I know you enjoy it has i do and so do many others. :)

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Thinking about Dewsbury Road Station in the sixties one evening I was having a few pints in Cross Flatts Club when a lad came in and told us while he was delivering around the West Riding area a cat had jumped in the back of his van and he had no idea just when. he said he could not take it home and would abandon it. me being a cat lover went outside to have a look. it was a most beautiful Siamese and Muggins went to the Fish shop and with two fish lured it into my estate car and took it home. as we already had a cat I shoved it in the garage with the remains of the fish. overnight. As I could not keep it I decided to take it to the Police station..
I got a large cardboard box and managed to get the bugger in after a struggle and a fair amount of skin missing from my hands. on arriving at Dewsbury Road I explained to the lad on the desk. he was a big jovial sort of man and after having a look at the cat and my hands said "Shall I do him for assault", this went down with the couple of other lads hanging about. they put the cat in a cell and that was that. the following morning I called down there again and asked the same Bobby on the desk how had thing gone and had it being claimed. this time he gave me a dirty look and said gruffily "The cleaner has taken him home" as I left I could not help noticing he had one hand bandaged and a sticking plaster on the other. Happy Days

Can't imagine the reception I would get these days in a Station trying to unload a cat on them

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi jcd You must have lived in the Dewsbury Road area were did you live i know the area quite well.Used to walk up there to Bewerley Street School..

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

tilly wrote:Hi jcd You must have lived in the Dewsbury Road area were did you live i know the area quite well.Used to walk up there to Bewerley Street School..
##

I lived in Beeston but liked the pubs in Holbeck and Hunslet plus I had pals from Hunlset area , a few lads that played for Hunslet Rugby in their day

bgams

Post by bgams »

Just in a development of the theme of this thread,'collar numbers etc.' I recall in the very late 60', very early 70's one of the car registration sequences issued by the Leeds Motor Taxation authority was UG. Unfortunately we had reached the letter M preceding the UG therefore some Police Vehicles bore the registration letters MUG. A put down or what!

wbg
(895)

jim

Post by jim »

There were several "good" letters which were to be seen
before the UG registration!