Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tomq

Re: Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Post by tomq »

The barber was Jack Fisher I think. I went there in the sixties.
Tom

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi tomq,

Thank you. I initially thought that this was the shop as it was the only one I could find on Leodis:

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

However, it does not look right to me. I seem to remember Jack's shop, in the 70's and 80's being on its own, possibly near the steps which lead up to Grosvenor Hill.

Ian

tomq

Post by tomq »

Ian,
This is not Jack's shop. It was exactly where you said. My first job from leaving school in 1965 was on St. Mark's Road which was the reason for going there.
Tom

iansmithofotley

Hi tomq,

Thank you for your input.

Ian

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Does anyone remember a P.C. John Heap who was at Dewsbury Road / Holbeck in the 1970s. John was a pal of mine when we lived in Beeston. he was a bit accident prone so do not imagine that he rose to a much higher rank but having lost touch maybe I could be wrong. when the "Ripper Tape" was being played house to house John and his pretty W.P.C. seemed to be passing my house just as bacon sandwiches were being made every other morning. Certainly would like to make contact again with him.

iansmithofotley

Hi J.C.D.,

I knew John Heap (507) quite well in 1972/75. He worked as a PC in the general office/front desk at Dewsbury Road P.S. I found him to be very good at his job and he was very reliable. He was very pleasant and approachable towards the police staff and public alike. I think that he went into C.I.D. but I have lost track of him. I don't recall him being at Holbeck P.S. when I worked there in 1988/90, but I may be wrong.

Having good experienced staff in the general office (taking phone calls from the public) and the front desk (dealing with the public) was a real bonus for us all. They saved time and money by being able to deal with problems, there and then, as far as they could. The same thing applied when dealing with the public at the front desk. Unfortunately, many of these staff were replaced by civilians and, in my experience, 80% of the time they had to take advice from the police anyway, in order to solve a problem, particularly where a knowledge of the law and police procedure was involved. I have nothing against the civilian staff who did the job and to the best of their ability, but they just did not have the knowledge and experience to be as efficient or effective as the police staff. I won't get into 'cost'.

Ian

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

iansmithofotley wrote:Hi J.C.D.,

I knew John Heap (507) quite well in 1972/75. He worked as a PC in the general office/front desk at Dewsbury Road P.S. I found him to be very good at his job and he was very reliable. He was very pleasant and approachable towards the police staff and public alike. I think that he went into C.I.D. but I have lost track of him. I don't recall him being at Holbeck P.S. when I worked there in 1988/90, but I may be wrong.

Having good experienced staff in the general office (taking phone calls from the public) and the front desk (dealing with the public) was a real bonus for us all. They saved time and money by being able to deal with problems, there and then, as far as they could. The same thing applied when dealing with the public at the front desk. Unfortunately, many of these staff were replaced by civilians and, in my experience, 80% of the time they had to take advice from the police anyway, in order to solve a problem, particularly where a knowledge of the law and police procedure was involved. I have nothing against the civilian staff who did the job and to the best of their ability, but they just did not have the knowledge and experience to be as efficient or effective as the police staff. I won't get into 'cost'.

Ian
Thanks for that John certainly was a pleasant lad. when I am back in Leeds I will try and trace him.

bgams

Post by bgams »

Thanks for all your memories of Jack the Barber particularly you Ian with your reference to its exact location and tomq who went there in the sixties and not in the 80's as I said.

Blackman Lane, Servia Hill and Wellclose Terrace all lonely areas on nights with a long walk to and from Bell Vue Road. But what else would you have done on nights!.

As a matter of interest between 1948 and 1960 I lived in Verdun Terrace, Leeds 6 off Hyde Park Road just above the Little Park Pub. Does anyone remember that area.

wbg
(895)

iansmithofotley

Hi Brian,

I don't recall Verdun Terrace by name as it was demolished around 1960 but I remember the streets and the pub. There used to be a large building nearby where JRJ Olympic Cycles were made for Bob Jackson by Bob McLean who was in the Leeds Coureurs. I was a keen racing cyclist in my teens and used to pass these streets when I made my weekly visit to Maurice Woodrup's shop at 111 Burley Lodge Road. Bob also made frames for Maurice Woodrup in about 1960 - I bought one and it was number 5. The other pub, across Hyde Park Road was the Newlands which, I think, was burnt down during some rioting about 1995.

If you check out Leodis, there are several photographs of Verdun Terrace and the Park pub.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Ian

bgams

Post by bgams »

I,

Looked at photo of Park in your last. In relation to a cycle shop as I recall next to and below the Park was a long narrow open passageway with steps onto Hyde Park Road which we used as a cricket pitch. More importantly as I recall immediately next to that alleyway on Hyde Park Road was the cycle shop you refer to.

As usual you are right about the Newlands and its demise. I'm not sure but I think an ex-copper whose name escapes me had it not long before it burnt down and I think he, the ex-copper, moved to a pub near Templenewsam.

Thank you for your interest.

wbg
(895)