Stanningley Train Station

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
smallships

Post by smallships »

jim wrote: South of the goods shed at Stanningley and at a higher level was a large yard, rail served, which belonged to the Civil Engineer's department. It was considerably longer than the station's platforms, and contained a multitude of large workshops,connected with trackwork components, on-track machinery, building repairs, any structural building work, level crossing gates, and all kinds of similar functions. The depot served much of the West Riding area. I believe it has become part of the Grangefield Industrial estate.A little to the east of the station was a private branch which curved northwards. Entry was from the east, and it crossed Stanningley Town Street and entered the yard of Geo. Cohen, later the 600 Group,and led to several sidings within.

smallships

Post by smallships »

jim wrote: South of the goods shed at Stanningley and at a higher level was a large yard, rail served, which belonged to the Civil Engineer's department. It was considerably longer than the station's platforms, and contained a multitude of large workshops,connected with trackwork components, on-track machinery, building repairs, any structural building work, level crossing gates, and all kinds of similar functions. The depot served much of the West Riding area. I believe it has become part of the Grangefield Industrial estate.A little to the east of the station was a private branch which curved northwards. Entry was from the east, and it crossed Stanningley Town Street and entered the yard of Geo. Cohen, later the 600 Group,and led to several sidings within.

smallships

Post by smallships »

smallships wrote: As A young lad I used to go from Isles stanningley with a man with a lorry taking bomb cases to Stan goods yard 40s to 45smallships It seams a shame that age catches up am now 82 and I was born in Stanningley and left in the 50s , we had a newsagents shop that looked at Isles and in the war years when they were on munitions. I hoped I might make abit of interest.    Maybe smeone in Stanningley may remember.            

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

The rails across the road into Cohens survived for years after the closure of Stanningley station.Speaking of Isles of Stanningley, my godfather's brother got a job there, and married the boss's daughter. As a result he was able to retire as a fairly young man and live the good life in Scarborough.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

smallships

Post by smallships »

Uno Hoo wrote: The rails across the road into Cohens survived for years after the closure of Stanningley station.Speaking of Isles of Stanningley, my godfather's brother got a job there, and married the boss's daughter. As a result he was able to retire as a fairly young man and live the good life in Scarborough. I think the newsagent my parents owned was No2 Coniston Mount is it still a newsagent.?.     small ships

w41tzer

Post by w41tzer »

surely the "bridge abutment" previously mentioned on the bypass is too modern a construction and was this (the bypass) a road in the 60's? isnt it a retaining wall for the embankment?, in reguard to where the line joined to go to greenside, i used to work in the old tap and tootill building (thomas bros leeds) till last oct and if you walk out the back and look down the line of embankment you will see the clean line disfigured suggesting this is the point,not sure how it crossed stanninley lane level or not but there is a very old section of wall to the left of ex brit vic ( the bit actually on stanningley lane) which is entirely out of keeping with all thats built on that side and this i believe is beside intercity way, as has been said i think if the lady goes into the bushes at the very top of the little car park near the sun you will see a bricked up underpass surely of railway origin, and at the end of the little trading estate slightly further down is a building facing you that just has that old railway look, a little off topic i apologise but i read on here last year of somone wanting to know the previous use of , well he said it resembled a buried arch in the ouzlewell green/lofthouse rothwell area, well if its what i think i walked up there before the ice age and cant find where to add it, may i just add that everone on here deserves a medal for the time/trouble/risk etc etc top notch, dont stop its not sad,lol, paul

Ian Jenkins

Re: Stanningley Train Station

Post by Ian Jenkins »

Stanningley railway station
Stanningley railway station
IMG_20141122_072552.jpg (369.33 KiB) Viewed 3989 times

jim

Post by jim »

Welcome to Secret Leeds Ian, that is a great view of the railway infrastructure around Stanningley Station, showing as it does much of the Engineer's Dept high level yard

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Ian Jenkins wrote:
IMG_20141122_072552.jpg
Do you know when this photo was taken please Ian ?

My guess is it could be just before or after WW2 before road haulage started
to take hold.
Don't recall the coal yard been as busy at that in the 60's plus the rest
of the yard and private sidings seem busy.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.