PARK your RIDE

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

This scheme is looking like the dead duck many of us suspected it would be.A £2.8 million dead duck.The view from the M621 suggests few people are parking there and even at peak time (17:15) there don't seem to be more than half a dozen people on the outbound double deckers heading back there from town. The buses running into Leeds at that time are empty, needless to say.I dread to think how much the ongoing cost of running all those near empty buses is to the council tax payers of Leeds.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Of course if you stick some wires on the top people would flock to it.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

raveydavey wrote: even at peak time (17:15) there don't seem to be more than half a dozen people on the outbound double deckers heading back there from town. My inbound bus this morning passed an inbound P&R at 7.45 while it was qyeuing to get on to Great Wilson Street. My biew was partially obscured but I think the driver comprised 20% of the people on board i.e. 4 passengers with a maximum of 5    
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

tyke bhoy wrote: raveydavey wrote: even at peak time (17:15) there don't seem to be more than half a dozen people on the outbound double deckers heading back there from town. My inbound bus this morning passed an inbound P&R at 7.45 while it was qyeuing to get on to Great Wilson Street. My biew was partially obscured but I think the driver comprised 20% of the people on board i.e. 4 passengers with a maximum of 5     I saw one tonight heading out of Leeds with...EIGHT people onboard, plus the driver*Is this a record? * - although traffic in and out of Leeds around the M621 was near gridlocked, so there probably hadn't been a bus for a while...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Brodleian

Post by Brodleian »

I've used the P&R twice, off-peak, and been the only user in both directions, both times. If there were 100 cars parked up I think I'd be being optimistic. I'd like it to succeed: I'm a big user of the P&Rs in York, Oxford, and Cambridge - but they have excellent "terminal" facilities (ie. waiting rooms, lavatories), are situated further out from the city, and don't close when the local AFC team is playing at home. Leeds isn't alone in having rubbish P&R: Manchester, Birmingham, and Liverpool are worse; and Newcastle and Sheffield not much better. But Cllr Lewis is fooling himself (YEP 31/7) if he thinks the Elland Road scheme is going to take off as it currently stands.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The YEPs latest on Cllr Lewis's folly.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6758246But still he reckons it is a good use of our money...

spongebob

Post by spongebob »

Afternoon all, long time no see. Interesting to see that I'm not the only person who doesn't see the point of this park and ride location So then we're into September, the kids have been back a couple of weeks, the roads are generally a busier I wonder if they're seeing an upturn in business at the park and ride? The times I've been past (on the way home on an evening as I won't go along Elland Road on a morning until they properly do something about the motorway roundabout and the no right turn onto the top of Elland Road) it looks as empty as it ever did. The only time I've seen the place anything like full was tour de France day. Perhaps they'll start to make noises about it getting busier with the Christmas shoppers now and I wonder how long before First remove the double deckers (at least through the day) and put single deckers on or even minibuses. As always with Leeds it seems they've taken a good idea, waited a decade or more too long then made a complete balls of it. The only thing the site has going for it (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that the council already owned the land.Can't help but wonder if this is another token gesture to easing road congestion with a view to charging to enter the city centre because the day that happens will be the last day I work in Leeds

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Looks like the council are determined to force people to use the Elland Road P&R - by closing all the car parks on the south side of the city centre...http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -6851534No wonder there are allegation of a conflict of interest...

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

There were big plans to create a large multi-storey park and ride facility just off the Leeds outer ring road inbetween West Park and Horsforth back in 2007. Part of the plan involved relocating Horsforth train station 1/2 a mile down the track to service this new park and ride facility which was to be part of a huge 'urban village' that would have filled Woodside Quarry with hundreds of houses, apartments as well as shops / resteraunt, large hotel etc. However I could see that the additional traffic generated by this development, not to mention attracting thousands more vehicles to this park and ride scheme would mean even worse congestion than is already seen along this section of the ring road, especially at peak times. Thankfully the plans all fell through although recently there seems to have been some signs that the development might be resurrected albeit in a more minor way. The car park at Horsforths train station is already full to capacity every weekday by commuters who park there and travel into the city by train. The trains are ridiculously overfilled at peak times. I dont know why the train operators cant add extra carriages to the trains instead of operating trains of 2 carriages which is way under capacity. I dont get the train regularly myself but times I have I've noticed that sometimes passengers will wait for the next service in 1/2 an hours time rather than have to squeeze onto the current train at the platform which only has standing room. If you're travelling with a bicycle then forget about it..!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Not that I want to defend Northern Shambles but part of the capacity problem on the Harrogate line is the capacity to hold rolling stock ready for the rush hour. Basically there's no where to park empty trains in sidings to start the run into Leeds in the morning. Some work was done to add a siding at Horsforth recently I think, but its not enough. Also they can only get so many trains of a certain size in and out of City station per hour. Investment needed.